Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110171 times)

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1965 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »

I started my new fort and have just had the militia commander's untrained civilian dog kill not one, not two, but eight rhesus macaques. The poor bugger's got some dents, but I was amazed that he even tried it, not being trained to kill and all. The militia commander himself? Cowering in the meeting zone by the depot with everyone else.
Also, I too shall remark on the amazing fact that everyone (myself included) is giddy with excitement over things that non-players wouldn't get, like milking and trading sand. This is excellent.

It still blows my mind, trading sand.

You should have seen my face when I read that you had that happen.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: April 03, 2010, 10:56:13 pm »

All 12 of my dwarves are starving because...I think I've encountered a glitch with seeds, because there aren't any.

Now, I chose "Play Now!" instead of planning, but I KNOW you still get seeds. There isn't even any seeds from eaten Plump Helmets.

WHERE ARE THE SEEDS?!!?!

...But before that, my fort's only doctor/woodcutter got his left leg mauled by a black bear, which he wounded horribly because there's pools of bear blood and dwarf blood EVERYWHERE.

I made a migrant with novice combat skill into the militia commander and sent him after the bear.

He ripped the bear in two. With his bear hands. Must've been helped by the doctor hacking at it with his axe.

I also made an irrigation system. A bad one. A very bad one. I almost drowned the hospital. Where the mauled doctor is sleeping/starving because THERE'S NO FREAKIN' SEEDS. I IRRIGATE FARMS WITHOUT DROWNING ANYONE AND THE SEEDS JUST UP AND VANISH.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: April 03, 2010, 11:12:30 pm »

All 12 of my dwarves are starving because...I think I've encountered a glitch with seeds, because there aren't any.

Now, I chose "Play Now!" instead of planning, but I KNOW you still get seeds. There isn't even any seeds from eaten Plump Helmets.

WHERE ARE THE SEEDS?!!?!

...But before that, my fort's only doctor/woodcutter got his left leg mauled by a black bear, which he wounded horribly because there's pools of bear blood and dwarf blood EVERYWHERE.

I made a migrant with novice combat skill into the militia commander and sent him after the bear.

He ripped the bear in two. With his bear hands. Must've been helped by the doctor hacking at it with his axe.

I also made an irrigation system. A bad one. A very bad one. I almost drowned the hospital. Where the mauled doctor is sleeping/starving because THERE'S NO FREAKIN' SEEDS. I IRRIGATE FARMS WITHOUT DROWNING ANYONE AND THE SEEDS JUST UP AND VANISH.

First off, your dwarves are awesome.

Secondly, plant gathering.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: April 03, 2010, 11:19:15 pm »

WHERE ARE THE SEEDS?!!?!

Yeah, I'm doing that...hope Doc doesn't die in his bed...his injuries are yellow but he's not getting better. C'mon, doc. It's only ONE leg.

No, my dwarves can't be awesome. They're scared away by a fox. That nulls any awesome they may have. I sent Urist McRipsbearsinhalf (militia commander) after that fox and he chased it all over the map like a Tolkien Benny Hill. He never caught it.

When I say blood is everywhere, I mean blood is everywhere. There was blood in places that bear didn't even get near. I think the dwarves are tracking it around. The well is surrounded by blood. Pools of blood are all over the place. I really don't think this is how blood is supposed to work.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: April 04, 2010, 09:17:44 am »

Dug to deep in a fort I would have liked to keep  :( I managed to wall off all the lower levels fast enough, but 4 miners, a mechanic, a woodcutter (wut?) and my most important dwarf/leader were still down there - by Armok, I just love the new combat reports. Anyway, they got torn apart, steamed and roasted by a wide asssortmend of... things. Everybody else went emo and started killing eachother. You know, the usual things they do, when there's no legendary dining room, only improvised quarters, very little booze left and someone who's everybody's best friend dies.

Now I know to stay in the less interesting parts of the underground until I'm prepared for the very worst. Militant animalmen and trolls are bad enough for me...
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: April 04, 2010, 09:40:01 am »

Liaison from mountainhomes just announced that i may choose my settlement to be a barony and elect a baron from my population.
I thought about making my manager to be one, but then remembered i didn't save lately and decided to tell him GTFO with his weird offers. Its a communism here, we need no suppressive barons.

He will probably ask again next year.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 04, 2010, 09:48:08 am »

WHERE ARE THE SEEDS?!!?!

Yeah, I'm doing that...hope Doc doesn't die in his bed...his injuries are yellow but he's not getting better. C'mon, doc. It's only ONE leg.

No, my dwarves can't be awesome. They're scared away by a fox. That nulls any awesome they may have. I sent Urist McRipsbearsinhalf (militia commander) after that fox and he chased it all over the map like a Tolkien Benny Hill. He never caught it.

When I say blood is everywhere, I mean blood is everywhere. There was blood in places that bear didn't even get near. I think the dwarves are tracking it around. The well is surrounded by blood. Pools of blood are all over the place. I really don't think this is how blood is supposed to work.

for seeds I think you might have to process the plants in the farmers workshop now. doing so still leaves you with the plump helmets, they just take the seeds out.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: April 04, 2010, 10:44:45 am »

WHERE ARE THE SEEDS?!!?!

for seeds I think you might have to process the plants in the farmers workshop now. doing so still leaves you with the plump helmets, they just take the seeds out.

I still get seeds from brewing, and from cooking. But maybe the disapear to vermin now?

Anyway, My entire fort perished to 6 goblins. I'm pretty sure I understand barrows and military. The reclaim should turn out quite nicely.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 04, 2010, 10:55:00 am »

The Limbdrum Times "Made of wood to piss off the elves since 102"
1st Edition! 28th Limestone 102

Hello reader and thank you for choosing this, the first issue of the Limbdrum times.  We promise to provide you with up to date news about the latest gossip from around the fortress!  Does the mayor have scale mites? We'll be the first to let you know!  Water from the well taste odd? We'll tell you who's bloated body is down there adding to the flavor!  And now, on to the news!

Miner says oops, Liaison becomes a smear!
The outpost liaison died today during the digging of the main hall's skylight.  the liaison was following around our expedition leader Levekrix while he was digging out the final sections of the skylight and he happened to stand in the wrong place. Plummeting to his death 35 feet below.  Doctor Koraekoth was quickly called to the scene despite a large amount of grumbling about having no medical training whatsoever and examined the liaison.  After poking him with a stick a few times, he ruled the liaison dead and a spatula was ordered to clean up the ... (continued page 2A)

Main hall skylight complete, workers beginning work on waterfall plumbing

The main hall's skylight was completed today with much fanfare.  Complete with body parts flying through the air similar to the fashion of imported dwarven fireworks.  The location was immediately designated as the new meeting hall and it was good.  The drainage channel for the planned waterfall is already complete and the tunnel to the brook is almost completed.  All that is required is the installation of the safety floodgates and the fortress will never have to worry about unhappiness ever again!  The construction is expected to be finished within the week, barring something the miners called "pathfinding issues".

New dining room completed. Happiness polls skyrocket.
The new dining room is quote "Like living in a singularity of pure joy." According to the engraver who engraved the entire room by herself.  This editor also sampled the room during his lunch break and found it heavenly.  The dining room is planned to be expanded in the future with more chairs and maybe a statue or two as the fortress grows.  But as of now the 5 tables and chairs is more than enough for the current small population.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:59:01 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: April 04, 2010, 10:55:59 am »

I still get seeds from brewing, and from cooking. But maybe the disapear to vermin now?

You get seeds from cooking now too??

I've just got an elf "caravan" -- two elves leading horses who travelled across the goblin wastes on behalf of a civ that had no contact with mine. Moreover, however, I have discovered the cavern. It extends beyond the first reveal in all directions on several Z-levels. All this sight raises one question: are creatures in the cavern revealed as well when they walk into the revealed area, or did I just get lucky with a nigh-empty cavern?
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: April 04, 2010, 12:10:50 pm »

don't we got gremlins roaming around screwing up the place?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: April 04, 2010, 09:40:17 pm »

Got most of the main defensive line to my fort's entrance set up. It's a valley leading up to the main door. I've stripped the ramps from the mountainside, meaning that any attacking force will HAVE to move through narrow straight, which I have built a line of cage traps, behind which are stone traps, behind which I'm building weapon traps loaded 5/5 with serrated discs and spiked balls. Behind that, my military training field. Behind that? several doors.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: April 04, 2010, 09:56:15 pm »

Just broke into an underground cavern for the first time. Good thing I had cage traps set up, I caught a weird creature (name begings with a "D") right away.

I'm so exited. And a bit afraid. Set up a rotating patrol schedule for my squads. I don't want anything nasty sneaking into my fortress from the backdoor.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:24 pm »

All this sight raises one question: are creatures in the cavern revealed as well when they walk into the revealed area, or did I just get lucky with a nigh-empty cavern?

I'm only 2 minutes into my first cavern, but at first when it got revealed, I saw no creatures. But fairly soon after things started wandering in, [creepy voice]almost like they smelled my dwarves[/creepy voice].
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: April 05, 2010, 08:45:28 am »

I'm having my first goblin ambush which could leave the fort partly alive, and by looking into the combat reports, i found out that my dwarves are now throwing stuff in combat, namely training spears in this case. I can't decide what to find more awesome, this one or the fact that crossbowguys can't kill an entire fort anymore when there's no military.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 3842