Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110170 times)

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1950 on: April 02, 2010, 08:30:44 pm »

well starting my first fortress with the new release, and what the [censored]?!

Seriously, plus the gray stuff is bituminous coal.

Edit: And I just found a Star Ruby. seriously
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:04:46 pm by Teferi »
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: April 02, 2010, 08:59:32 pm »

Apparently, immigrants are extremely easy to get. Extremely easy.

Two years in, I haven't had a single goblin or kobold attack, and I have 71 dwarves. 4 artifacts have been made, including one extremely badass copper spear.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: April 02, 2010, 10:49:42 pm »

new semi-mega project. i'm gonna dig a shaft 40 levels down that opens up over my underground lake. I'm gonna build a ceremonial platform over it, and drop my victims enemies down it and see if they survive the impact. Afterwards, and once I find out how deep my magma is, I am going to do the same thing there. So, mr. goblin, what's it gonna be. The red pit, or the blue pit?
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: April 03, 2010, 01:11:16 am »

Halfway through with trading with a dwarven caravan. I just got a bag of sand off of them.

New version is awesome!

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: April 03, 2010, 01:48:55 am »

I started my first new version fort. I'm getting things going really slowly since not only am I not used to the new stuff yet I'm out of practice in general.

Having to irrigate is a pain in the ass. I used to be able to plop them down in soil. Currently my fort is much less coherent than it normally would be. There is a phoned-in irrigation system built which is pretty useless thanks to being unable to make the ground subterranean again and I don't even have bedrooms dug out.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: April 03, 2010, 05:49:46 am »

Should be more careful digging in these caverns. Was removing these 1/2-tile pillars, and one of them collapsed. Penetrating 3 stockpile levels below, workshop level below and crashing into food stockpile, destroying it and throwing mah food all around. Good thing it stopped before the dining room, since it was right above it.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: April 03, 2010, 06:29:03 pm »

The residents of the nearby magma pipe popped up to watch me move into the new fort, but haven't done much else.
Scratch that, I think a hunter got too close to an imp. Two casualties on each side, but at least the moat stopped the fire.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: April 03, 2010, 06:40:35 pm »

First fort Lost, Reclaimed and and have sealed off the Cavern access for now.working on Routing the Magma From My Volcano to hopefully fry some of the beasts down there until I have the military figured out. at which Point I intend to tap my ocean and obsidian the entire cavern.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: April 03, 2010, 06:53:34 pm »

17 dwarves came in.
11 dwarves lie in the hospital.
Not one of them are not bleeding.
The fortress is doomed, as nobody can even move without passing out.
The elephants have finished their bloody rampage.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »

I'm very lucky that I decided to make a multi-level dining room. Made a ramp up to the top, intending to channel my way down from there. Dug out the entire top layer, and then set the entire floor to be channeled. Suddenly I receive messages that the miners are stopping work due to difficult terrain. Turns out that the half of the dining room that they had channeled out, are now full of water. Didn't rises above the channel, luckily, so the rest of my fort is safe. If I had decided one a single-level dining room, however, there would have been nothing stopping the water from spreading everywhere.

I can't see where the water is coming from. Maybe some kind of deep aquifer or something (this is happening some 3-5 levels below ground), and the dining room just coincidentally crossing into another map tile. Or something.

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: April 03, 2010, 07:30:40 pm »

I've made a start on the new version and:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: April 03, 2010, 09:29:22 pm »

with the lack of farming I went with the second option of building in the sugar mill.
fun times a roll when I released the witches. but it will be worth it when I can finally floor up the place and Trade depot. hopefully some one can find out why is there slade weapons in arena yet one can't mine molten rock, there got to be a way.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Hypatian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: April 03, 2010, 09:49:03 pm »

I've made a start on the new version and:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fire up the BBQ?

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: April 03, 2010, 10:18:54 pm »

I started my new fort and have just had the militia commander's untrained civilian dog kill not one, not two, but eight rhesus macaques. The poor bugger's got some dents, but I was amazed that he even tried it, not being trained to kill and all. The militia commander himself? Cowering in the meeting zone by the depot with everyone else.
Also, I too shall remark on the amazing fact that everyone (myself included) is giddy with excitement over things that non-players wouldn't get, like milking and trading sand. This is excellent.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: April 03, 2010, 10:34:06 pm »

I started my new fort and have just had the militia commander's untrained civilian dog kill not one, not two, but eight rhesus macaques. The poor bugger's got some dents, but I was amazed that he even tried it, not being trained to kill and all. The militia commander himself? Cowering in the meeting zone by the depot with everyone else.
Also, I too shall remark on the amazing fact that everyone (myself included) is giddy with excitement over things that non-players wouldn't get, like milking and trading sand. This is excellent.

It still blows my mind, trading sand.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 3842