Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110249 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1905 on: March 28, 2010, 09:13:46 pm »

Got my first magma-flooding machine for siege defense almost ready.  Floodgates and mechanisms aren't bauxite, but I was too impatient to wait for the Dwarven caravan to deliver it.  I doubt it'll be a problem.
You won't be able to turn it off, as the floodgates will melt once magma flows through them. Are you ready for the world to be permanently flooded in magma?
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Nakanja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: March 28, 2010, 09:29:38 pm »

I'm pumping the magma into a reservoir on the surface.  I figure if I need to stop the magma I can just shut the pumps off.  After I pour it out on the next siege and the gates melt, then I'll put the bauxite replacements in.

And I just noticed a some messy carpenter left a pile of logs on top of the highest pump.  Hopefully that won't catch fire and spread to the windmills or something. :P

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: March 29, 2010, 08:26:20 pm »

I have just discovered an important fact about building a fortress on a raised platform; when you're ready to move your dwarfs up to it, make sure you build walls around the edge first. So far, I must have lost 10-20 dwarfs falling off the sides. This, of course, upsets the (already unhappy) dwarfs, who have tantrums and throw themselves off the edge. Which of course upsets the rest, and so on, and so on. This is the most awesome tantrum spiral I've seen yet.

I might end up abandoning the fortress and come back with a new, happy group of dwarfs; I'll finish up the living quarters first though, so they'll have a place to sleep without falling off.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:50 pm »

Huh?

Dwarves don't just walk off the edge of things. Did you discover some exploit by setting a meeting area overlooking a drop, or set up some broken stairs, or something?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: March 29, 2010, 11:33:01 pm »

I know recruits will fall off if they're sparring in a room that has no walls. Perhaps this was his issue.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: March 30, 2010, 06:25:52 am »

If dwarfs are tantruming, that explains the falling.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: March 30, 2010, 07:55:31 am »

Update on Flarelashes: I have suffered my first accidental flooding! While constructing my combination waterfall/moat plumbing exercise, I channeled out the wrong square, and all of a sudden my lovely statue garden, lovingly crafted out of the rock, filled with the best statues I could construct, carefully opened up to the outside air to stop dwarves from vomiting all over the place, is rapidly filling with water. An underwater statue garden. Now I think of it, that's quite nice... I wonder if you can edit the RAWs to make dwarves underwater creatures?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1912 on: March 30, 2010, 09:04:37 am »

I've had many fortresses with unwalled ledges and platforms over high drops.  The only time I ever had dwarves fall to their doom was when I set a barracks too close to an edge.  I expect falling from tantrums could do it too, or getting knocked around by water if you have a waterfall near an edge, but dwarves should never just spontaneously fall off ledges.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 30, 2010, 01:51:29 pm »

Most likely it started when one dwarf started tantruming and fell off the edge, or perhaps a construction accident, setting off the rest. It wasn't a sparring accident, my barracks are still on the land. It didn't help that I jumped the gun a bit, trying to move my dwarfs up there when all I really had was a main 3x20 (unwalled) walkway, with paths leading off to nearby rooms containing the bedrooms and dining areas.

I've since moved them back to my minimalist land fortress and let them calm down a bit; I'm not really interested in keeping them too happy though, as I've already accomplished most of my goals from this fort and I'll probably never touch it again once DF2010 is released. I'll take what I've learned from this one and build SeaFort 2.0, the bigger and better and hopefully less deadly fortress based on my current one. Also, I'll make sure mermaids are present before building it.

At any rate, the last thing that happened was a failed attempt to move my caged fire imp. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I told my dwarfs to bring my imp to the trade depot (I was curious how much it was worth and too lazy to check the wiki) and they somehow interpreted it as take the cage to the depot and not the imp. So of course they let it out of its cage, right in the middle of my fort. I got my military to run over and chop it up before it did any real damage, but I almost let it run loose for a while to punish the stupids for letting it out in the first place.

Next major thing I do, as soon as DF2010 is released, is to get all my dwarfs up on the sea platform and deconstruct the narrow walkway holding it up. The entire platform is currently supported by a one-tile-wide walkway, so it shouldn't take long.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:53:13 pm by BitLooter »
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: March 30, 2010, 02:31:12 pm »

I wonder if you can edit the RAWs to make dwarves underwater creatures?
You can, but it generally causes "CANCELLING THING DANGEROUS AREA WHY ARE YOUR GUYS IN WATER" if they dont all have swimming skill (or possibly even if they do)
[AMPHIBIOUS] should be the tag.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: March 30, 2010, 05:05:21 pm »

I wonder if you can edit the RAWs to make dwarves underwater creatures?
You can, but it generally causes "CANCELLING THING DANGEROUS AREA WHY ARE YOUR GUYS IN WATER" if they dont all have swimming skill (or possibly even if they do)
[AMPHIBIOUS] should be the tag.

Excellent... Dwarves with the Innsmouth Look coming up!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1916 on: March 30, 2010, 05:20:40 pm »

Sorry, but while you can mod dwarves to not drown when submerged, there's not a thing you can do to make them build anything, accept any jobs, or do anything other than try to get out of the water when submerged.  It's hard-coded behavior.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: March 30, 2010, 05:56:16 pm »

Boo.

Nothing for it but to lock the doors and turn the whole chamber into the sump of a water pressure trap.

We adapt, we overcome.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: March 30, 2010, 07:12:38 pm »

The miner from a recent migrant wave decided to have a fey mood. The thing is though that I already had 6 legendary miners and didn't need more and so hadn't decided what I wanted to do with him. However, when he got the mood, I thought that maybe he'll earn his keep, but instead went the cheapass route. He made a cabinet with nothing else, aside from the free decoration, worth 4,800.

I guess he was in awe of the legendary miners (even though he has no friends yet on his profile) and thought 'Man, those guys are awesome, how am I gonna catch up to that level?', later 'I know, how about making a really good cabinet, my dad was a mason, so I know some tricks of the trade.'

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: March 30, 2010, 08:41:41 pm »

OPEN THE CLOWN CAR!!!
Setting off an intentional tantrum spiral, for triple bonus FUN!

Already had an axe murderer, a very violent criminal(3 counts of disorderly conduct, 1 count murder), a Beaten-up duke, and a Hammerdwarf named "Capn Hammer," for saving the day from the clowns. Now he's on the inspirational tour circuit, trying to convince all the tantruming, depressed dwarves that "Everyone's a hero in their own way." It's not working.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 3842