Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160068 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #270 on: March 02, 2015, 10:42:37 pm »

Whats the stats on your bug? Haven't really messed around with the growing the bug properly for actual use.

The bug is called Fleetflammer and its final stats at teh moment are 150 power, 96 stamina, an 114 speed, it has the skills "Kinsect Stamina and Speed Up (L)", "Extract Efficacy Up (s)" and "Kinsect Charge Time Down"

To get to this bug and those stats efficiently I used nothing but the pure +2 stats the old trader guy sells for points and feed them to the bug in this order:
19x stamina > 5x power
15x power
10x power > 18x speed
19x power > 9x speed

Eh, I've found having nectars on all the time is the best fit for my bug staff playstyle. Bugs do a lot of damage, but so does mounting, and red nectar makes mounting really easy.

I just got into high rank so I haven't fiddled with building towards lategame kinsects, but I've gotten the best results pumping speed into mine. It's got 60 in attack/stamina and 125 or so speed.

The thing is I have them on all the time too, my bug is grabbing them all the time, they're back on almost as soon as they're gone.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2015, 10:47:54 pm »

There's a whole plethora of endgame Kinsects that you can read about here. I'm pretty sure most people just use the effect extender one though. I'd like to try the fast charging one but I don't think I have enough coordination to do that.

Note that the names in the guide aren't translated yet. You should be fine as long as you just choose the available upgrade and at the very end choose the one with the skills he has listed. This reddit post has detailed instructions but only for the effect extending bug.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2015, 10:53:00 pm »

Damn they change the arc shot mechanics of bows. Not sure if arc shots benefit from charge levels since now it can shoot a closer arc and longer range arc at full charge.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 02, 2015, 10:58:28 pm »

I'd like to try the fast charging one but I don't think I have enough coordination to do that.

It is tricky to use, it's like playing a puppeteer character in some other games. You get the best results by using the bug without marking a spot on the monster and so you control the direction of the kinsect attacks(in a straight line) with your position and orientation, you then time another attack(or a recall) at the right time along its trajectory to change its direction to hit what you want if the bug wasn't able to get straight to it. I'll see if I can cobble up something to record my 3ds and keep it stable.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2015, 11:58:40 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:59:44 pm by penguinofhonor »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 03, 2015, 12:04:39 am »

Man, are there still more insect glaive mechanics I don't know? What is this charge time thing? Can I charge my bug?

If you hold R and X while you're holding onto your bug it'll charge, some people don't notice because by default it takes 3 whole seconds. The bug will fly out at high speed while spinning, dealing good damage, it's actually the glaive's strongest attack. On normal bugs, the kinsect will use the spin charge attack automatically every couple attacks too.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 03, 2015, 12:30:10 am »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:59:56 pm by penguinofhonor »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 03, 2015, 03:02:02 am »

Well I just had one of my most interesting fights so far. There is this quest called "Naked and Afraid" which is HR7 it gets unlocked when you reach HR90 and completing it unlocks trading for Ceadus materials.

This quest consists of fighting   t w o   D e v i l j h o s   N A K E D  in the A R E N A

Me and a friend took a while to convince two other people that this was a good idea and our first run ended in failure and the other 2 ragequit. After a while of fruitlessly waiting we decided to try 2-manning it for fun, my friend on bow, me on combat bug insect glaive. We went in there without expecting much and came out victors. It took 30 minutes and I was all out of all forms of consumables by the end. Most fun I've had so far, that was my hardest fight.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:04:00 am by Ygdrad »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 03, 2015, 03:54:04 am »

Man, are there still more insect glaive mechanics I don't know? What is this charge time thing? Can I charge my bug?

If you hold R and X while you're holding onto your bug it'll charge, some people don't notice because by default it takes 3 whole seconds. The bug will fly out at high speed while spinning, dealing good damage, it's actually the glaive's strongest attack. On normal bugs, the kinsect will use the spin charge attack automatically every couple attacks too.
You can also trigger this by activating the Send Command 3 times in a row...

Just got up to having to kill the Gore Magala. Do they lower its stats a lot for the two "fend it off" encounters? Cause I was fine before, but with the actual Quest, i'm just getting two shot repeatedly.
Yeah, I think they do. It also has a tricky attack pattern that you have to learn as it can easily two shot you like you said. For me, I basically just ran circles and dodged stuff until it switched into the less crazy attack mode or there was an opportunity for free hits. I think it's essentially the test that you have to take to learn how to bide your time.
Just took down my Gore Magala. Insect Glaive is kinda overpowered I feel, I doubt i would have been able to take him down as fast as I did with any other weapon, around 10mins WITH a capture.

Gotta say though, Support Palicos are awesome, calling out when paints about to drop and setting up traps when its time to capture. Granted I normally keep track of that myself, but sometimes its handy to have someone else do it, though gotta level him up, he put it in the dumbest position...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:56:52 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 03, 2015, 04:25:25 am »

Gotta say though, Support Palicos are awesome, calling out when paints about to drop and setting up traps when its time to capture. Granted I normally keep track of that myself, but sometimes its handy to have someone else do it, though gotta level him up, he put it in the dumbest position...

Wait are you trying to say that leveling the palicos up makes them less stupid?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 03, 2015, 04:53:21 am »

Wait are you trying to say that leveling the palicos up makes them less stupid?
Thats what the Help says... They do their actions more often and better...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 03, 2015, 08:28:43 am »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:00:04 pm by penguinofhonor »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 03, 2015, 08:30:53 am »

It also increases your stamina so you don't have to pop a steak in a middle of a fight.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 03, 2015, 09:13:01 am »

I prefer healing palicoes (still support, I guess? but a different kind. at least I haven't found any healing/trapping supports yet). You can spend more time attacking the monster if you've got healing horns going off regularly.

They even have a big healing horn attack in this game that can increase your max health.
You get a Trapper Palico after rescuing the Maowster Hunters... Each of them can be hired...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2015, 09:22:15 am »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:00:17 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 95