Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160070 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2015, 02:31:24 pm »

As people have said in the thread, the best weapon in the entire game is the weapon you're most familiar with.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2015, 02:36:52 pm »

I should be up ins by the end of the week.  What WEPON should I start out with?  MH1 is very limited.  I'll probablys tick mostly to single player at least at first.  I'm thinking a greatsword, it's what I'm accustomed to using and taking wyverns one on one with a sword that takes a couple seconds to swing is very manly.  A spear might be cool too though.

Sword and shield, greatsword, longsword, hunting horn, hammer, dual swords, bow, light bowgun, heavy bowgun, lance, gunlance, switch axe, charge blade, kinsect glaive.

They're all good, or at the /very/ least viable - pick your poison, basically. Bowguns, bows and kinsect glaives have out-of-fight mechanics, as well as the former two having their own armour, so they're probably not the best first choice. Past that, it's up to you which one/s you use. Have fun deciding.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2015, 03:56:47 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:58:35 pm by penguinofhonor »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2015, 04:16:49 pm »

MH is actually fairly balanced, every weapon is viable if you build it right and play it right.  The two problem weapons are the heavy bowgun and the hunting horn, because their 'super useful thing' takes a bit of support.  Heavy bowguns can deal a LOT of damage in rapid fire mode, but you become a sitting duck, so you NEED other players to help you with it.  The hunting horn has low attack on its own, but can provide buffs that end up wrecking the enemy.

For heavy weapons, I LOVE the charge blade.  The TL;DR - you use sword and shield mode (shield is in between "sword and shield" and "lance" in terms of blocking strength) to build up charges, then swap to greataxe to unleash elemental fury on the enemy.  The normal axe mode isn't as impressive as other weapons, but with charge use it's devastating - and there's armor skills that support charge use (sharpness, +extra charges, +charge damage).

The PROBLEM with getting good at heavy weapons is that they don't multiplayer very well.  Huge swing radius and knocking friendlies down makes you unpopular.  Lances and sword'n'board and bowguns are good for multiplayer due to low/no knockdown and being out of knockdown range...

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2015, 04:21:03 pm »

The only weapons that really cause major disruption in multiplayer are longsword and switch axe. Charge blade and Insect Glaive, maybe also - I don't have experience with those.

Greatsword, for example, should only be ever using two attacks - draw charge, and the slap to cancel the recovery animation without moving. Neither of those have "huge swing radius" by any stretch of the imagination.

Hammer too, since hammer is the only weapon that should be focusing the head. Maybe hunting horn too, I guess.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2015, 04:25:55 pm »

As a switch axe you can easily avoid teamhits by R+X+A to unsheathe into an X attack, then repeat A X A X A etc. to do vertical swings which are unlikely to hit people nearby. Axe mode is another story entirely, but you should only be using that when you have no charge in your sword.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2015, 06:24:31 pm »

My CB has never knocked anyone around as far as I know, even when we all clump together to beat down a monster. I use the A + A + A combo a lot in axe form for massive damage. It has huge swings but they don't seem disruptive.

Maybe because they only swing in front and slightly to the sides. Every time it swings around it actually goes upwards again.

LS on the other hand sends everyone flying all the time. It happens with the switch axe but not too often that it becomes annoying.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 02, 2015, 06:29:47 pm »

Heh. Longswords have always been notorious for sending everyone flying every single time you use their specialized combo. That last slash especially has a very wide range.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #263 on: March 02, 2015, 08:35:02 pm »

Swtch axe is actually pretty unique in that both modes are pretty stacked! You can totally "solo axe" mode, or whatever.

Sword mode does more damage overall, with most of it's attacks, but axe mode still has that side to side chop attack that does crazy damage on knocked over or otherwise incapacitated monsters, and axe mode has much better reach to boot.

Definitely not arguing with it being more disruptive in axe mode, though. :P

(while I'm here this guy has great tutorials on every single weapon that provide damage numbers and everything

I've been using it as a sort've "primer" to a weapon before trying it out and it's helped so so much)

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:49 pm »

Just got up to having to kill the Gore Magala. Do they lower its stats a lot for the two "fend it off" encounters? Cause I was fine before, but with the actual Quest, i'm just getting two shot repeatedly.
They started to collide~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 02, 2015, 09:21:18 pm »

Just got up to having to kill the Gore Magala. Do they lower its stats a lot for the two "fend it off" encounters? Cause I was fine before, but with the actual Quest, i'm just getting two shot repeatedly.
Yeah, I think they do. It also has a tricky attack pattern that you have to learn as it can easily two shot you like you said. For me, I basically just ran circles and dodged stuff until it switched into the less crazy attack mode or there was an opportunity for free hits. I think it's essentially the test that you have to take to learn how to bide your time.

I was in some MPs with randoms capturing Rathaloses for rare items and thought I should test to see if CB could actually send people flying.

I tried so hard but the weapon just goes through other players.

I don't think it actually can disrupt others.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2015, 10:20:23 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:58:52 pm by penguinofhonor »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2015, 10:21:29 pm »

Actually... can you midair attack when an ally sends you flying? Getting a mount off that would be hilarious.
Yes, it's intentionally designed specifically for that.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 02, 2015, 10:32:32 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:58:58 pm by penguinofhonor »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2015, 10:33:32 pm »

I think the most Charge Blade's axe can do with the A attacks (which are undeniably the better ones) is make people fall to their knees, which isn't quite upswing tier.

It does have an upswing though, if you press X from neutral with the axe out.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 95