Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160067 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2015, 01:46:59 am »

Yeah, the elemental weaknesses are pretty brutal but I reduced it somewhat by replacing the boots with a torso up one.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:23 am »

I need a replacement for the Velociprey armor. Attack(M) + Psychic is spoiling me too much. Trying to get Ceanataur but goddamn is there any easier way to get chilling beaks?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 04, 2015, 08:25:27 am »

They only ever drop from the Najarala, so not really. That being said, I ended up farming that monster for fun so...
Well, if you have a weapon that doesn't do much damage at once, pack a large barrel bomb so that when it sleeps, you can plant the bomb at it's face and set it off, hopefully breaking the part and getting a drop.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2015, 08:46:33 am »

Honestly I think the armour exists for charge blades.
It's good for Gunlances, too.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 04, 2015, 11:25:20 am »

Just remember that if you use barrel bombs only the first attack that connects to the monster will deal triple damage. A small barrel bomb to detonate larger ones will be a waste. One time I was able to safely activate a bomb with my lance but I haven't done it since, and if you miss with a paintball you'll just wake the monster up.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 04, 2015, 11:35:34 am »

Bow users look so frigging cool.

I have no idea what they do but every time I have one in a hunt the monster seems to be constantly status-ed. Also those arrows raining from the sky. So cool.

Then I remember playing with a bowgunner that would heal everyone on the team. So awesome!

Then I played with some HR3 morons who didn't know how to deal with a Rathalos and all died in about 7 minutes. I want to blame them more, but maybe they never fought one before. Also both those idiots used LS and I've started to associate LS users with assholes... (STOP SENDING ME FLYING YOU CUNTS). Who even picks this weapon and goes into MP?!

I played one match with a gunlance user. First one I ever saw. He was pretty good but it was worse than a LS. At least a LS sends me flying upwards or something. The GL kept chucking me all the way some random distance. Didn't happen as often as LS though, so I'm not too miffed.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:09 am »

Just finished cobbling up together a setup to externally record stable footage of my 3DS. Now I just need to learn not to suck at playing with this new viewing angle and restricted hand space.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 04, 2015, 12:23:00 pm »

Maybe the LS users were new and didn't know that they could knock people around. They may be too focused on the monster to notice.

Gunner look so useful in MP, makes me wanna pick up gunning just for MP.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 04, 2015, 12:26:26 pm »

I'm thinking about it too.  I'm pretty accustomed to greatsword but I'm also pretty accustomed to faceslamming monsters and apparently swordsmens don't do that in multiplayer?  I know a lot of monsters are most vulnerable to cutting in the tail and belly but nonetheless but a lot of monsters also telegraph for easy headslams that usually flinch.

Fighting monsters with bows is cool and I can see the utility with dudes like the Rathalos.  I killed my first Rathalos with two minutes to spare because he spent the entire match flying around.
Shoes...

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 04, 2015, 01:00:19 pm »

Haven't played the game myself, but the video tutorial makes using the Bow look pretty dull. The entire strategy is apparently using the same attack over and over and keeping yourself at the proper distance... doesn't sound terribly exciting.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 04, 2015, 01:28:51 pm »

I found a problem with my artillery god Seltas Armour.

My impact phial does too much damage that I can't complete the combo.

I fought an Iodrome. I've fought it a lot before this. With my new armour the poor thing would go flying after the first swing of my AAA combo, leaving the second and final hit missing the mark (though I'd cancel it before that). The only time I could unleash the full combo was when it was mounted as all other times it'd just go flying.

I'm thinking now to tone down artillery god to artillery expert and get some other skills instead.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 04, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »

I found a problem with my artillery god Seltas Armour.

My impact phial does too much damage that I can't complete the combo.

I fought an Iodrome. I've fought it a lot before this. With my new armour the poor thing would go flying after the first swing of my AAA combo, leaving the second and final hit missing the mark (though I'd cancel it before that). The only time I could unleash the full combo was when it was mounted as all other times it'd just go flying.

I'm thinking now to tone down artillery god to artillery expert and get some other skills instead.

The answer is simple, don't use the whole AAA combo, each of the 3 attacks can be used separately. The first isn't that strong, has only one blast, the second one has 2 and the third has 3 stronger blasts. To go straight to the second A attack, just press A after an X attack. To do the 3rd A attack just press X+A, note that for this one you need to press backwards+X to do the normal super attack and not consume all the phials and shield boost. The 3rd A hit can also come out of X+A after a shield bash in sword mode, you can also get it by pressing X+A after blocking an attack in sword mode.

Also, don't base any decisions on the dromes, especially not the singleplayer ones.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:53:49 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 04, 2015, 02:00:31 pm »

The MP dromes lol. I kill the singleplayer ones in one hit. They go splat. I sent an MP Zinogre flying with the second hit too and a stunned Rathalos went soaring off a cliff with the first attack onto his head.

Not to mention if I switch up the armour sets so I only have expert, I can get rid of more of the elemental weaknesses.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 04, 2015, 02:00:41 pm »

In general I hear that more or less you out to be using the double phial swings and the full charge attacks more than the first as well. Second is mostly that stunning monsters gets harder as they build a resistance to them. A full phial charge slam with artillery god sounds like it will always knock a monster stunned no matter how resistant it gets.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 04, 2015, 02:03:15 pm »

Haven't played the game myself, but the video tutorial makes using the Bow look pretty dull. The entire strategy is apparently using the same attack over and over and keeping yourself at the proper distance... doesn't sound terribly exciting.

I find bow one of the most entertaining weapons to use. It's true that the move set is minimal, but when you can easily get 2 shotted positioning and monster patterns become extremely important. I find myself taking chances with most melee build to get in some more damage, because I know I can take some punishment, but with the bow you can't take those chances. Add in the various coatings and different arrow types and it becomes a very strategic and interesting weapon.

Also, the armor sets look so good!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:08:42 pm by Drakale »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 95