Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 119887 times)

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Chapter 1: Greenest in Flames.
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2015, 02:16:44 pm »

Arwen just swings at the kobold attacking him!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2015, 05:27:18 pm »

Sweetpea heard the call fo the dwarf and emerged from concealment, beginning to run towards the castle - well, tower - gate.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 03:04:11 am »

Arwen swings at the Kobold (Attack roll: 6+7, Success!), batting it away like was a child's plaything.
Johanna's bolt of fire (Attack roll: 20+5, CRITICAL!) speeds towards the last Kobold, and strikes it dead in the face, (Damage rolls: 6+5), sending the reptilian creature to the ground.

The final enemies down, you rush into to the keep, and the portcullis slams down as soon as you're through.
125 xp for everyone!

Inside, you take a moment to catch your breath, and survey the scene. The keep is about 100 feet by 100 feet, in a strange trapezoidal shape. Inside, dozens of citizens are milling around, looking terrified and sleeping around small fires. Guards are mostly on the walls, but some are speaking quietly to civilians or running around on various errands. After a minute, one comes down from the wall, and says that the Governor would like to speak with you. You are led up to the parapet, where an old human male is pacing, speaking quietly with a shield dwarf with tangled, bright red hair. The human turns to you and awkwardly offers you his left hand.
"I'm Governor Tarbaw Nighthill. A pleasure. This is my Castellan, Escobert the Red," he says, gesturing towards the dwarf, who nods towards you each in turn.
The governor's right arm is in a sling, and his light blue cloak, with a silver trim, is stained with blood. He is dressed in set of half plate and a sword sits in its scabbard on his left side.
"I was watching your work down there. You're clearly capable warriors, adventurers too, if I'm not mistaken. Could I convince you to help me ensure the safety of my citizens? There's still many people trapped outside the keep, and we can't use the main gate."
He gestures for you to look over the battlements, where you see a few kobolds and humans beating on it, while giant, wolf-sized lizards pace.
Escobert speaks up now, "Back when the keep was first built, there was a tunnel built down to the river to get water in the event of a siege. It's never been used in the history of the keep before today, but we could use it as a sally port to sneak in more civilians. Our guards are needed here, but you four could do it, if you're willing, that is."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 09:54:44 am »

"If so, I need  more arrows."
She nearly added "and a good reward" to the end of her sentence, too.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 10:07:47 am »

Mirella bows to the Governor.  "I would be pleased to help as well."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2015, 10:39:10 am »

Arwen looks straight at the governor and speaks plainly. "Do you have any enemies?"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 04:02:08 am »

"If so, I need  more arrows."
She nearly added "and a good reward" to the end of her sentence, too.
"Of course. Escobert can take you by the armory on the way."
Mirella bows to the Governor.  "I would be pleased to help as well."
"Thank you."
Arwen looks straight at the governor and speaks plainly. "Do you have any enemies?"
The governor raises an eyebrow sharply while the castellan frowns harshly. "Of course I do. I just don't have any who would or could get a dragon to attack my town."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2015, 09:43:35 am »

"I only ask because this all feels... planned. The dragon isn't attacking the other humans, the ones working with the kobolds..."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 10:08:51 am »

"I only ask because this all feels... planned. The dragon isn't attacking the other humans, the ones working with the kobolds..."

Johanna waved at Felix to shush.

"An honor to meet you, Mayor Nighthill." she said, with true noble courtesy. "What my companion is trying to say is that it's very likely the attackers are not scattered tribes of beastly folks, but an organized cult of Dragon worshipers. My group was dispatched by the Lord's Alliance to investigate rumors of this activity...well, it seems we found what we were looking for.

We needn't delay with any more formality, however-if you need this tunnel cleared, we're more than qualified to do it."

She turned to her party.

"We don't have much time-gather up whatever equipment and ammunition you need quickly. Get a skin of water into yourself too, even if you're not that thirsty. We're not sure when we'll get time to sit down and have a nice meal again." She said with authority.

Action: Johanna looks to add a handaxe or two to her arsenal, and also finds a torch or lantern. Also, water myself+refill, if it matters.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:12:48 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 11:11:45 am »

Sweetpea elbowed the fighter in the ribs.
"Come on, you lunk. Dragons ain't dumb, are they? If they're cultists, they're the dragon's flunkies. Not gonna burn them all up or eat them when there's big meals like you to eat."

Drink water as commanded by the boss
Look for a longbow and more arrows

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2015, 02:05:23 pm »

Arwen begins to drink from his skin.
"Dragons aren't dumb, but I can't imagine them putting much value in a group that serves them no direct assistance, unless they're keeping it fed or providing it with treasure...."
He just doesn't like this situation. Something's wrong with this.

Arwen drinks, and if he finds a better weapon, takes it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2015, 02:24:16 pm »

Johanna squirts a bit of juice from her own skin into a mug, which she then drinks.

"When was the last time you saw a Dragon walking down the road looking to buy some milk?" Johanna asks sardonically. She lowers her voice carefully. "Dragons find that Humanoids are useful for all sorts of things-like purchasing certain things at a market? Or infiltrating a place before you launch an attack and spying on, or sabotaging the defenders. Killing a wizard in her bedchambers so she can't blast you when you fly near the walls. Good for defending your lair against unruly adventurers whilst you sleep, if only through sheer numbers. Evil creatures like to have humanoids bow and scrape before them as slaves. They are inclined not only to destroy, but to seek cruel domination over others. That's what makes them so dangerous-there are evil men and women who seek power, and willingly serve them. Alone, they may be only so dangerous. With Dragons on their side, they become much worse...

Granted, I don't want to speculate on the 'worse' right now. We've got enough problems to deal with already."

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2015, 08:15:38 pm »

Mirella smiled faintly as the others spoke, accepting a drink of water as well when offered.  "We should also remember that not all creatures of the Gods are motivated in the same way.  This is true of evil creatures as well as of good.  We should not simply assume that these dragons or their allies seek domination or destruction in and of itself, cruel or otherwise.  Though, admittedly, observing what they have done to Greenrest thus far..." she trails off. 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2015, 12:41:32 am »

((Sorry for the long delay, all.))

"An honor to meet you, Mayor Nighthill." she said, with true noble courtesy. "What my companion is trying to say is that it's very likely the attackers are not scattered tribes of beastly folks, but an organized cult of Dragon worshipers. My group was dispatched by the Lord's Alliance to investigate rumors of this activity...well, it seems we found what we were looking for."
"A cult?! Hmm... Wasn't there someone who came through recently talking about a cult, Escobert?"
"Yes, sir. A monk, I believe. I ask the townspeople if they know more."

Action: Johanna looks to add a handaxe or two to her arsenal, and also finds a torch or lantern. Also, water myself+refill, if it matters.
Look for a longbow and more arrows
If he finds a better weapon, takes it.
Escobert leads you to the armory, which is rather sparse, due to the fact that the castle is practically under siege.
Johanna finds an old, dented handaxe. It's not great, but it'll cut flesh.
Sweetpea grabs a quiver of similar quality arrows. They will pierce most reptilian flesh, but probably not dragonhide.
Arwen can't find any weapon better than what he has, so he grabs a handaxe also.
The castellan hands out torches to everyone, before leading them to the cellar. It's a damp, dark place, with no lighting other than your torches. Rats skitter away from your light into the dark corners, and spiders have woven tapestries of cobwebs in between the crates and barrels. Escobert indicates the tunnel entrance is behind some crates, which Arwen promptly moves out of the way. An old wooden door with iron fittings and a rusty lock is revealed, which the dwarf opens with a key from his belt ring, with some difficulty. He swings open the door, and steps back for you to enter. As you file in, he remembers something, and pulls the cellar door key off his key ring, handing it to Johanna.
"There's a grate on tunnel exit, so you'll need this. Good luck. May the gods be with you."
He closes the door behind you. The tunnel reeks of filth, and the sounds of rats and a distant stream can be heard. It's only about six feet across at its widest and tallest, and about a hundred and some feet long. Without much delay, you continue down the tunnel, with Arwen leading, followed by Mirella and Johanna, and Sweetpea taking up the rear.

Only a few yards in, Arwen almost stumbles upon a nest of rats, but sees it before he disturbs it. (Dex Rolls to avoid it: 13+1 (Success), 18+0 (Success), 7+1 (Failure!)) Arwen and Mirella manage to avoid it, but Johanna slips and plants her foot right in the middle of it. Rats begin to swarm out of the accumulated debris, nipping at the hero's ankles and begin to swarm with fury.

Combat!
Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

There are two distinct swarms of rats. One is around Johanna's feet, while the other is five feet towards the exit, next to Arwen. Sweetpea is five feet away from Johanna and the rats, and Mirella is behind Arwen, closer to the exit.

It is Sweetpea's turn.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2015, 11:33:37 am »

((Ahh, who put the wizard in front of the party?))

Johanna seemed very uncomfortable. She had never seen this many rats in her lifetime.

"Arggh! Filthy little beasts! Away with you!" She said, disgusted, flinching away from them.

Action: It's not technically my turn, but I can prepare to cast shield as a reaction to try and defend myself against the rat attacks if they hit me.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 94