Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Game Over - Scum win  (Read 52014 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Day 1: A thin soup
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2015, 04:43:33 pm »

I think Origami is trying to deflect my attention from him to someone else. Not sure why he's worried about one person voting for him though...

Peradon has been probably the most active non-IC player in this game, and he's one of two players other than Origami that I have expressed doubt over (your voting pattern has been quite... erratic, Peradon, though we've already been over that)

Why do you seem so worried over my vote, Origami?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2015, 04:48:23 pm »

I won't be available today or tomorrow.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2015, 05:37:14 pm »

I'm looking at the thread now but it may take me some time to put together a post. I'll be working on it.

As much as I hate to ask this, does this mean we will be seeing an extension? Town apathy does not seem to be setting in and getting some play from that slot, as well as a few others (Looking at all your lurkers. Contribute!) would be good.

Don't extend on my account.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2015, 06:15:08 pm »

Why do you seem so worried over my vote, Origami?
I'm not worried about it. Getting voted happens all the time in mafia games. I was simply asking your reasoning behind it.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2015, 06:21:10 pm »

Scripten:
Comrade, you are not reading the game very closely.
Why thank you, I appreciate being insulted as much as the next person.

You seem to be twisting mastahcheese's words now. You say because he's not an IC he can't offer advice.

Mastahcheese should not be engaged in telling newer players what to do from a position of authority, no. The IC role is there specifically to avoid experienced players steamrolling newbies by giving them poor or leading advice.
Hypocritical

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You were not the IC there. You offered advice stemming from your authority as an experienced player.

Now what on earth is wrong with this? Both of the official teacher-players are attacking the same person. Now Cheese could be saying both of you are a team, he's doing something in particular we should be paying attention to or that even the mighty can fall. When I read it I did not get the implication that the ICs were scum. It was more like

"Gather round kids, this is an important event and I want to pay particular attention"

All newer players should be paying attention to the ICs regardless of what is going on in the game. Furthermore, new players should be paying attention to the entire game, not just places where players asserting authority tell them to do so.

Not to mention, that particular quote was taken as having implied assertions that other players have caught onto.
Yes I'm sure it does. As does this.

Are you SURE you're a newbie, Scint? =.=

I don't think he's using it as an excuse. His play has got him into a bad situation and he's trying to get the rest of us to pay attention to how you should try and get out of it.
Is that how you're reading it?

Because I'm reading it is "I'm in a bad spot, so I need to come up with some wild excuses to backpedal out of my reckless scumplay." What is the town motivation you seem to see from Mastahcheese's play?
Well he seems to be saying that scum can and will use the lynch if they can.
And the mislynch is the scum's second weapon, in case you forgot.

He's saying don't rely on the PR's
Origami: Sorry for butting in on your question to Peredur, but did you take into account the possibility of the person that's claiming cop might be the scum?
Especially if they suspect a jailkeeper is in the game, because that drops the odds of there being a real cop from 66% to 50%.

Also you know that theory of his about you distancing him so he'd kick the bucket if you went. It was a niggling thought in the back of my head. Since this has now developed into a full blown lynching. I'm inclined to believe it now.

So only the ICs are going to be doing the teaching? I don't know how to put this in words. Seems like setting up authority.

My role as an IC is 100% separate from my role as a player. So yes, when I am acting as IC, I am acting from authority. As a player, I am instantly wary of other players trying to lead newbies by giving "advice" like this. (That is, using the "I'm an experienced player showing players what not to do, not scum!")
I don't mean like you setting up teacher credentials, I mean you setting up some kind of dictatorship where you shove people into line for questioning you.

I'm also avoiding using my IC-text here because you are directly attacking me as an IC. I'm considering avoiding taking on that role in future games in which we play together if this continues. Save that for banter, post-game, or elsewhere.
And you used it earlier why?

I really hate this. It says to me "I'm pushing a case I'm not scum. I would eliminate who I wanted dead with the NK. Trust me."

This is scum 101, actually. There's no reason for scum to try to lead the lynch on a more threatening player when they could just get an easy lynch and NK the threat.
No reason? Then that's an excellent reason to do it.

Scripten you seem to be punishing mastahcheese for things you yourself have done in past games albeit in a less flamboyant manner. This is hypocritical which I think means something has changed.

Peradon:
Actually, he's paying more attention that practically any other person here, because he's actually taking the time to ask about it, and offer input.

Name one other non-IC who's actually taken the time to do this, beyond simply parroting something that's already been said.
So, his posting-once-a-day-definately-not-a-lurker is paying more attention? I dont see the logic in that...
I love you too.

I cant really get into this argument, because it concerns the authority structure in BM games, and seeing as how this is my first mafia game ever, I dont know anything about....
Mastahcheese, why have you resorted to insulting scripten? Is it because you are trying to put doubt into the rest of the players on how good scriptens scumhunting is?
Congratulations, you're in it now. Now since you've engaged you could post some more thoughts as to what you think is going on. More opinions is more info for us.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 29, 2015, 07:07:38 pm »

I love you too.
:D
Congratulations, you're in it now. Now since you've engaged you could post some more thoughts as to what you think is going on. More opinions is more info for us.
Yeah yeah, I know I said I wouldnt get into it, but I did.....

But seriously, I know nothing of how the command structure of BM's work, so I cant say much. All I can say is that Scripten appears to have taken mastah's so called attempts to teach us personally. Mastah's intentions werent very clear though, and I get the sense that he was giving that crazy theory, and acting like a scum, so that he could pump out that last question, mainly asking why he was overtly acting like scum, if it was something that scum dont do. This puts us in a WIFOM situation, which if you ask me, is pretty scummy. WIFOM voids an entire conversation, making it useless, and puts even odds on the table. Meaning we cant know anything for sure now....

So, Scripten, just an IC question: What do you do in the event of a WIFOM?
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2015, 07:48:35 pm »

Comrade Shamrock:

Why thank you, I appreciate being insulted as much as the next person.

Not an insult. Your post showed that you had not been paying very close attention to the game. You also have been lurking quite hard all game.

Why is your only contribution to this game with regard to this discussion?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You were not the IC there. You offered advice stemming from your authority as an experienced player.

That advice was not misleading. Mastahcheese's advice, should you call it that, is irrational and nonsensical.

Yes I'm sure it does. As does this.

Are you SURE you're a newbie, Scint? =.=

What? You make no sense here.

Well he seems to be saying that scum can and will use the lynch if they can.
And the mislynch is the scum's second weapon, in case you forgot.

Yes, they will. But using the mislynch is suboptimal when you have a mislynch already lined up, which is what I have been saying. Go back and reread my posts.

Also you know that theory of his about you distancing him so he'd kick the bucket if you went. It was a niggling thought in the back of my head. Since this has now developed into a full blown lynching. I'm inclined to believe it now.

Yes, because I'm totally busing him right now and his theory wasn't complete hogwash. ::)

Come on, Comrade. You've played enough games now that you shouldn't be falling for this.

I don't mean like you setting up teacher credentials, I mean you setting up some kind of dictatorship where you shove people into line for questioning you.

Like I said to Mastahcheese, if you have an issue with my integrity as an IC, take it up with me outside of the game.

I'm starting to get really pissed off about this strategy. It's against the spirit of the game and the IC role. I'm intentionally not including my opinions in my IC-text, but the fact that you guys are forcing me to toe the line of acceptable IC play is not cool.

And you used it earlier why?

The IC-text is specifically there so that new players can read it with the knowledge that it is being given in a manner that is as objective as possible. That is, you can trust the IC when they are speaking using this text without fear that their role will be motivating their advice.

Which is something both you and Mastahcheese seem to be completely incapable of understanding and/or are taking advantage of to confuse the new players and cause the town to lose. If it's the former, I'm going to be talking post-game to both of you. If it's the latter, I will be speaking in a very severe tone due to the seriousness with which I take my role.

No reason? Then that's an excellent reason to do it.

Subjective. Back this up.

Scripten you seem to be punishing mastahcheese for things you yourself have done in past games albeit in a less flamboyant manner. This is hypocritical which I think means something has changed.

Punishing? What punishment?

I'm voting him because he's acting scummy. I'm chastising him because I feel that becoming combative about the IC's integrity to avoiding getting lynched is against the spirit of a newbie game, since it actively undermines the role of the IC.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2015, 07:54:44 pm »

So, Scripten, just an IC question: What do you do in the event of a WIFOM?

This is a difficult question to answer, since the nature of WIFOM is that it's difficult to untangle. A helpful tool is Occam's razor, since taking the simplest solution requires the least amount of assumption. Assuming less means you can work through the likelihood of various events more thoroughly, since there are fewer of them. Other than that, I would recommend working from a different angle, where you aren't running into WIFOM.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 29, 2015, 10:13:16 pm »

I'm all caught up but I'm still a little shaky about what's going on. I know the general topics of discussion but not the specifics.

Since I'm thoroughly experienced I'll be offering whatever advice I feel is appropriate, but since I'm not an IC you technically don't have to listen to me.

Which is more important: teaching the players, or winning the game?
I'm attempting to show people how to deal with a person who is acting unreasonably, and irrationally, which is a situation they will come across if they keep playing Mafia. If you neglect to educate on how such a volitile situation should be approached, you're leaving them ill prepared for games beyond this.

I admire your commitment to this demonstration if that's really what your intent is. You're the unreasonable and irrational person, right?

Is that all this is is about? Just you being unreasonable to make a point?

If I were the IC I think I'd rather you played earnestly than make an example of yourself.

ComradeShamrock, I don't understand your argument against Scripten. Could you summarize it for me, pretty please?

From the looks of it, you seem to be accusing Scripten of abusing his position as IC. I've been IC for Beginner's Mafias several times of my own, and Scripten is most certainly not abusing his position. It's somewhat common (and sometimes even traditional) to suspect the ICs of abusing their position but I've never personally observed an instance of that happening.

Mastahcheese, that is a very plausible observation. At least the part about scripten. Hector and Scripten seems a bit far-fetched though.

Vote Scripten

This is a lazy bandwagon if I ever saw one.

What's your argument for Scripten being scum?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2015, 10:28:43 pm »

So am I scum with Hector13 or am I scum with Nerjin? Or is OSG scum with me?

See, this is why we don't do associatives before flips. You start looking silly.
This seems to me like scripten is trying to remove Mastahchees’s ethos. By trying to make mastahchees’s arguments sound unsolid, he seems like he is trying to defer anybody outside of their argument off of him.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2015, 10:32:56 pm »

But mastahcheese is voting for Scripten, so why would Scripten trying to refute mastahcheese's arguments be somehow scummy?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2015, 10:55:07 pm »

I think that scripten is trying to make Mastahchees's arguments against him seem not well thought out and rickety. In oder to keep any other players from getting on his case. Obviously it wont affect mastahcheese.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2015, 11:00:39 pm »

I'm curious to know how else you expect Scripten to defend himself.

Interpretive dance?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2015, 11:05:04 pm »

I think that scripten is trying to make Mastahchees's arguments against him seem not well thought out and rickety. In oder to keep any other players from getting on his case. Obviously it wont affect mastahcheese.
If you read mastah's arguments, he basically is insulting Scripten. It looks as if he knew that what he was trying wouldnt work, so he deflected the argument away from the actual topic, and onto something else, namely the inadequacy of scriptens teaching. This seems very scummy. Plus, mastah led the argument into a WIFOM situation, which never helps.

So, I think I am going to unvote Zormod and vote Mastahcheese.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2015, 11:34:37 pm »

Yeah, but why is that wrong and scummy?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27