Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Game Over - Scum win  (Read 52027 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Signups
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2015, 10:07:12 pm »

Votecount
Comrade Shamrock: {0}
Dani: {0}
hector13: {0}
mastahcheese: Scripten, Nerjin {2}
Nerjin: {0}
origamiscienceguy: hector13 {1}
Peradon:   {0}
Scripten:  oragamiscienceguy, mastahcheese, Comrade Shamrock  {3}
Zormod: Peradon {1}
Not voting: Zormod, Dani

Day will end Friday, January 30th, 8:00 PM SMT (GMT-7)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Day 1: A thin soup
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2015, 11:29:55 pm »

Hector, why are you voting for me?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2015, 11:50:36 pm »

Oops, that'd be my fault because I was lazy, lurkertracker's acting up. I can't find the post in which he 'voted' now.
Oh, wait. There is a post with a vote. Good, I thought I miscounted. Carry on!

Day will end Wednesday, January 28th, 8:00 PM SMT (GMT-7)
Any reason why we are extending the time? In the OP, you said 72hrs per day. Here you have it set to 120hrs....

Weekends don't count for deadlines. So since we started on Friday, Saturday Sunday don't count, timer starts on Monday.
Just saw this, yes this is the reason.
Weekends are not counted in terms of day or night length. E.G., if a night starts at 12:00 PM Friday, it will end at 12:00 PM Monday.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:52:43 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2015, 12:08:54 am »

Comrade, you are not reading the game very closely.
Actually, he's paying more attention that practically any other person here, because he's actually taking the time to ask about it, and offer input.

Name one other non-IC who's actually taken the time to do this, beyond simply parroting something that's already been said.

You seem to be twisting mastahcheese's words now. You say because he's not an IC he can't offer advice.
Mastahcheese should not be engaged in telling newer players what to do from a position of authority, no. The IC role is there specifically to avoid experienced players steamrolling newbies by giving them poor or leading advice.
Did I say I was doing this from a point of authority? No. I was making an example of myself, which is nowhere near the same.
A professor that sits in front of a chalkboard, explaining the dangers of chemical reactions, is not the same as someone who lights himself on fire to demonstrate the same ideal. Clearly one would be approved by a school board, and the other would not.

One of my biggest issues with the "IC voice" (not the ICs themselves, mind you) is that it tells people that there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to play Mafia. Which is simply false. In fact, the way you are getting on Shamrock in the way you are utterly pisses me off, because you're basically saying "I'm the teacher, he has no right to teach, and you're a fool for thinking you can learn from him!"
There is more to learn than what you are willing to teach.

If I were here to "steamroll noobs", then I'd be doing nothing but driving people away from the game. Which is the exact opposite point of this game. Why do you think I've chosen an IC, someone who I can attack in a ridiculous manner, in order to show this?

Now what on earth is wrong with this? Both of the official teacher-players are attacking the same person. Now Cheese could be saying both of you are a team, he's doing something in particular we should be paying attention to or that even the mighty can fall. When I read it I did not get the implication that the ICs were scum. It was more like

"Gather round kids, this is an important event and I want to pay particular attention"
All newer players should be paying attention to the ICs regardless of what is going on in the game. Furthermore, new players should be paying attention to the entire game, not just places where players asserting authority tell them to do so.

Not to mention, that particular quote was taken as having implied assertions that other players have caught onto.
So because he has a different opinion than the other players, he is wrong?

Need I remind you of all the many, many, many times that scum succeeded in fooling the entirety of the town, except a single person that took a step to stop them?

Disagreeing with the mob is not ignorance, and has saved more games than you've been in.

I don't think he's using it as an excuse. His play has got him into a bad situation and he's trying to get the rest of us to pay attention to how you should try and get out of it.
Is that how you're reading it?

Because I'm reading it is "I'm in a bad spot, so I need to come up with some wild excuses to backpedal out of my reckless scumplay." What is the town motivation you seem to see from Mastahcheese's play?
Actually, you're both wrong.
I'm not trying to get out of it, I'm trying to get the ICs to show you people how to properly handle a situation like this, like professionals. Of which Scripten is currently failing, because rather than come at me with logical and concise arguments, trying to debunk a clearly absurd theory, he's taking every step to incriminate me on the matter.

I will explain this.
Look back at my post, and the conspiracy theory behind it. Is the theory itself inherently scummy? No, it's just a theory.
Is it proclaiming people as scum? Yes. Is that scummy? No, even RVS questions accomplish this feat on a daily basis.
The vote could be considered scummy, sure. That's one thing you have to work on, but only Nerjin actually picked up on this.

So only the ICs are going to be doing the teaching? I don't know how to put this in words. Seems like setting up authority.
My role as an IC is 100% separate from my role as a player. So yes, when I am acting as IC, I am acting from authority. As a player, I am instantly wary of other players trying to lead newbies by giving "advice" like this. (That is, using the "I'm an experienced player showing players what not to do, not scum!")
Bullshit.
The fact that you are a human being means that there's only one person typing out both your play posts, and your IC posts.
Unless you can tear your brain in half, then you are affected by it.
This is not to say that an IC that turns out to be scum will give misleading advice, there are countless examples of this to show it isn't true, but to say it is "100% separate" is not true.

And I say this because you are handling the situation I have presented rather horribly, to be blatantly honest, and then chastising the player that disagrees with you.

I really hate this. It says to me "I'm pushing a case I'm not scum. I would eliminate who I wanted dead with the NK. Trust me."
This is scum 101, actually. There's no reason for scum to try to lead the lynch on a more threatening player when they could just get an easy lynch and NK the threat.
Um, yes there is?
That is lazy scum play, at its finest, and is a good 50-80% of the reason scum get caught. Because of this belief that scum won't take risks, because it isn't efficient, or (and I really hate when this word is used in Mafia) "optimal".

Let me turn the whole kerfuffle on its head and cram it down your maw.

If scum don't take risks, because it is suboptimal, explain, with your own reasoning, the scum motivation behind my actions.

You cannot answer this question without contradicting yourself, in at least one aspect.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2015, 01:07:37 am »

If scum don't take risks, because it is suboptimal, explain, with your own reasoning, the scum motivation behind my actions.

I sense a WIFOM situation coming up.....

Actually, he's paying more attention that practically any other person here, because he's actually taking the time to ask about it, and offer input.

Name one other non-IC who's actually taken the time to do this, beyond simply parroting something that's already been said.
So, his posting-once-a-day-definately-not-a-lurker is paying more attention? I dont see the logic in that...

I cant really get into this argument, because it concerns the authority structure in BM games, and seeing as how this is my first mafia game ever, I dont know anything about....
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2015, 01:14:59 am »

I sense a WIFOM situation coming up.....

So, his posting-once-a-day-definately-not-a-lurker is paying more attention? I dont see the logic in that...

I cant really get into this argument, because it concerns the authority structure in BM games, and seeing as how this is my first mafia game ever, I dont know anything about....

I really messed that up, so I posted it again with a better format....

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2015, 01:32:48 am »

Did I say I was doing this from a point of authority? No. I was making an example of myself, which is nowhere near the same.

A professor that sits in front of a chalkboard, explaining the dangers of chemical reactions, is not the same as someone who lights himself on fire to demonstrate the same ideal. Clearly one would be approved by a school board, and the other would not.

So why light yourself on fire?

One of my biggest issues with the "IC voice" (not the ICs themselves, mind you) is that it tells people that there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to play Mafia. Which is simply false. In fact, the way you are getting on Shamrock in the way you are utterly pisses me off, because you're basically saying "I'm the teacher, he has no right to teach, and you're a fool for thinking you can learn from him!"
There is more to learn than what you are willing to teach.

The point of the IC voice is to give advice from a relatively objective standpoint. If you are not an IC, then, until post-game, any advice you give is subject to the role you are given. I'm not saying just that your methods are questionable. (I believe they are, but that is a moot point since you are not an IC and are not giving IC-talk advice.) I'm saying that your explanation, that your actions are not scummy because you're trying to teach the newbies, is not justifiable in the terms of this game.

If I were here to "steamroll noobs", then I'd be doing nothing but driving people away from the game. Which is the exact opposite point of this game. Why do you think I've chosen an IC, someone who I can attack in a ridiculous manner, in order to show this?

You're trying to push newbies to pile onto a wagon you're pushing with a ridiculous case. Since I am a mislynch, that is still working against the inexperience of newbies to defeat their team.

So because he has a different opinion than the other players, he is wrong?

Need I remind you of all the many, many, many times that scum succeeded in fooling the entirety of the town, except a single person that took a step to stop them?

Disagreeing with the mob is not ignorance, and has saved more games than you've been in.

I made an assertion that your statement had undertones that have been noticed. It is not only because there are a number of other players that his defense doesn't work, but it does support that I'm not just seeing things.

I'm not trying to get out of it, I'm trying to get the ICs to show you people how to properly handle a situation like this, like professionals. Of which Scripten is currently failing, because rather than come at me with logical and concise arguments, trying to debunk a clearly absurd theory, he's taking every step to incriminate me on the matter.

Thank you for insulting my play. I don't need to waste my time "debunking" your obviously cockamamie theory. You need to make arguments to prove that your case means something. Burden of proof lies on the accuser.

Bullshit.
The fact that you are a human being means that there's only one person typing out both your play posts, and your IC posts.
This is not to say that an IC that turns out to be scum will give misleading advice, there are countless examples of this to show it isn't true, but to say it is "100% separate" is not true.

And I say this because you are handling the situation I have presented rather horribly, to be blatantly honest, and then chastising the player that disagrees with you.

Thanks for blatantly attacking my competence in my role as an IC.

Let me turn the whole kerfuffle on its head and cram it down your maw.

You cannot answer this question without contradicting yourself, in at least one aspect.

Refuge in audacity. Mafia isn't a deterministic game.

Your pedantry, erratic behavior, and intense focus on non-content is, frankly, bad play. If you are town, you are playing poorly. Your support for your actions is 1) that you are not scum because scum wouldn't be acting so recklessly or 2) that you are not scum because you are trying to teach the newbies how to react to a player being obviously and blatantly asinine, irrational, and illogical. Short answer? You lynch them because they are probably scum.

I'm also avoiding using my IC-text here because you are directly attacking me as an IC. I'm considering avoiding taking on that role in future games in which we play together if this continues. Save that for banter, post-game, or elsewhere.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2015, 01:41:44 am »

Hector, why are you voting for me?

Initially it was the no-lynch suggestion/potential role-fishing, which you could arguably put down to inexperience, but you've not really asked many content-generating questions either:

Spoiler: RVS/RQS questions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pointless question (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hypothetical (click to show/hide)

I think all these taken together are a sign of active lurking, which only scum have reason to do. I could have forgiven it as inexperience, but for these two posts:

Spoiler: These two posts (click to show/hide)

And then your vote for Scripten:

Spoiler: Voting post (click to show/hide)

You based your vote on one post - which mastah seems to be confirming as ridiculous - despite saying you would go back through a conversation to get a better read on things.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dani

• Bay Watcher
  • Monstrous Nun
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2015, 02:16:06 am »

I need to request replacement, I just can't do this right now, with my time and work going into my classes this sem. Sorry guys.
A creature of habit.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2015, 12:33:16 pm »

Bullshit.
Mastahcheese, why have you resorted to insulting scripten? Is it because you are trying to put doubt into the rest of the players on how good scriptens scumhunting is?

I need to request replacement, I just can't do this right now, with my time and work going into my classes this sem. Sorry guys.
Sorry to see you go. I hope your classwork clears up a bit soon!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2015, 02:48:00 pm »

Dani has been replaced by Jim Groovester.
He has expressed that he will not quite yet be joining us, and I have to send him Dani's role information first.
The Cyan Menace

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 29, 2015, 02:51:07 pm »

As much as I hate to ask this, does this mean we will be seeing an extension? Town apathy does not seem to be setting in and getting some play from that slot, as well as a few others (Looking at all your lurkers. Contribute!) would be good.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2015, 02:53:58 pm »

I've noticed paradon has been posting alot.

This may be because he is trying to be the town leader, or he just doesn't want to appear like he is lurking.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 29, 2015, 03:11:09 pm »

This may be because he is trying to be the town leader, or he just doesn't want to appear like he is lurking.
....It could also be because I'm trying to scumhunt....

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2015, 03:43:40 pm »

Also, what is your definition of lurking? I'm pretty sure it means NOT posting a lot. Unless you mean active-lurking which implies me not posting much content. I think I have posted content.....

Spoiler: "My Content" (click to show/hide)
Unless your saying that because I dont post WoT's, I must be lurking, which doesnt make sense.

Plus, I would think that you would be the one lurking, not me. What content have you posted?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27