Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Game Over - Scum win  (Read 51946 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Day 1: A thin soup
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2015, 11:09:00 pm »

Scripten
You seem highly interested in Cheese as opposed to any other player. Is there a reason for this? Seems a bit early to focus. Especially after what you said concerning tunneling.

I've interacted with Mastahcheese the most, but I disagree about your assertion that I've been tunneling. I've just found his play the most suspicious and have followed up on my suspicions. It's also quite early in the game.

Ah, a bit of clarification. I'm not saying that you are tunneling. I was trying to state that you seemed to have the beginning of  tunneling case on him. Large difference to me but might seem a bit nit-picky to most.

Peradon
Nerjin:Who, in your oppinion, is the most dangerous player of this game, and why?

I have no real opinion on the subject. I don't pay attention to meta because devoting my time to stydying other players in their various games just sorta... meh. Sorry I don't have something neat to give you there but I don't really see other players as a threat.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2015, 11:15:27 pm »

Are you looking for advice on who to night kill?
Not at all. I would probably be doing that in the mafia chat, not here. Instead, I was trying to get info on nerjin. Right now, he has acted a lot like an IC, but not like a player. Granted, he only has one post, but he has only asked one question, which is very general (And I forgot to answer that one...), and I dont think it would provide much.

I do suppose you have a point. I guess the content in a players question is as important as the answer that is provided... I need to look back on people's questions now......

Who do you suspect the most and why? ‘Nobody’ is not a valid answer.

I would say at this point, Zormod seems suspect due to his lack of posts. But that could just be coincidence. Cheese is also suspect, mainly due to scriptons post above, which makes complete sense to me....

Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2015, 11:19:27 pm »

Speaking of which, I should probably unvote dani until I find someone who is more scummy...

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2015, 11:31:08 pm »

Peradon:

Not at all. I would probably be doing that in the mafia chat, not here.

Ah. I see. Is there chat during day phase, then?

Instead, I was trying to get info on nerjin. Right now, he has acted a lot like an IC, but not like a player. Granted, he only has one post, but he has only asked one question, which is very general (And I forgot to answer that one...), and I dont think it would provide much.

Uhh... I think he's asked more than one question. Did you forget to open the spoiler tags?

I do suppose you have a point. I guess the content in a players question is as important as the answer that is provided... I need to look back on people's questions now......

Content in a player's posts is arguably more important than what questions they asked. Scum are less likely to slip up when writing their own questions and during their "scumhunting" attempts. (Though this is not unheard of.)

I would say at this point, Zormod seems suspect due to his lack of posts. But that could just be coincidence.

There's a name for this, actually. It's called "Lynch All Lurkers" and lynches done due to this mindset are lumped into what are called "policy lynches". Policy lynches work by eliminating players who fall under a certain subset of playstyles or commit some sort of action. Another common policy lynch is "Lynch All Liars" which says to lynch anyone who lies, because town have no reason to lie. Policy lynches can be useful, especially with newer players, but fall off in usefulness as actual scummy actions start popping up. I would advise against relying on them too much.

Cheese is also suspect, mainly due to scriptons post above, which makes complete sense to me....

Since Zormod and Mastahcheese are suspicious, why have you not voted for either of them?

Nerjin:

Ah, a bit of clarification. I'm not saying that you are tunneling. I was trying to state that you seemed to have the beginning of  tunneling case on him. Large difference to me but might seem a bit nit-picky to most.

I... suppose I can see the distinction. That being said, you mentioned that this was the most suspicious thing you'd seen so far in the game, so I guess I expected it to be a stronger hunch.

Do you have any commentary on the content of my interaction with Mastahcheese?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2015, 11:38:41 pm »

Since Zormod and Mastahcheese are suspicious, why have you not voted for either of them?
Why are you pressuring people to vote?
It always irritates me when people do this.

If he votes someone, he's guilty of caving to pressure.
If he doesn't vote, he's guilty of not pressing cases.

Which is worse, scripten?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2015, 11:40:45 pm »

Zormod: What is your oppinion of scripten's scumhunting of mastahcheese? Do you think he is grasping at straws, or do you think he has legitimate concern for how mastahcheese worded his questions? Or, do you think scripten is merely trying to pressure mastahcheese?
I think he was pressuring Mastacheese.

hector, but only because he hasn't made a post that I saw. Probably not his fault.

hector13: What do you think of the discussions so far?

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2015, 11:50:05 pm »

Peradon:

Not at all. I would probably be doing that in the mafia chat, not here.

Ah. I see. Is there chat during day phase, then?
I thought there was... I could be wrong though. I was making the assumption based on the sprint BM, but its probably different here...

Also, I got nin'jad, so I'll answer stuff in my next post...

Instead, I was trying to get info on nerjin. Right now, he has acted a lot like an IC, but not like a player. Granted, he only has one post, but he has only asked one question, which is very general (And I forgot to answer that one...), and I dont think it would provide much.

Uhh... I think he's asked more than one question. Did you forget to open the spoiler tags?

I missed the one in your spoiler, but you get the picture. You would think he might have some other questions...

Cheese is also suspect, mainly due to scriptons post above, which makes complete sense to me....

Mainly because I dont have enough to make a final decision. I only voted dani to try to pressure him. Unfortunately, I didnt come up with anything substantial.

Nerjin: You have absolutely no opinion on anyone? This seems unlikely. We may be D1, but we do have some info out there already.

Dani

• Bay Watcher
  • Monstrous Nun
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2015, 11:52:18 pm »

Dani, do you prefer to be the informed minority, or the uninformed majority?
I prefer being part of the uninformed majority, because I enjoy deduction and I enjoy watching the process of extracting information.
Dani If you were given the choice of having a role, but being town, and not having a role, but being mafia, what would you choose?
Then again, I am deathly scared of failures that I can do nothing to fix or improve upon i.e. targetting the wrong people as a town pr. Due to this unfortunate set of choices, I'd have to say I would rather be roleless mafia.
A creature of habit.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2015, 11:55:22 pm »

Zormod: What is your oppinion of scripten's scumhunting of mastahcheese? Do you think he is grasping at straws, or do you think he has legitimate concern for how mastahcheese worded his questions? Or, do you think scripten is merely trying to pressure mastahcheese?
I think he was pressuring Mastacheese.
What is your oppinion on the matter?

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2015, 11:57:21 pm »

Gah... my spelling sucks....

opinion*

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2015, 12:06:21 am »

Mastahcheese:

...what?

NO.

Voting is the only weapon town has to take out the scum. Not using your vote is an anti-town action. Period. (Sometimes it is scummy, but that really depends.) I'm not pushing for players to swing their votes around madly, but I will urge and expect other town players to use their votes in this game. If they think someone is scum, then they should be voting for them.

From an objective standpoint, using your vote is very important. As a town player, you want to lynch scum and the only way you can do that is to vote the player you find most likely to be scum. It is also a matter of accountability. Voting lets players see where you are laying your chips, so to speak. If you are town, your voting patterns will reflect that. If you are good scum, they will as well, so of course relying solely on VCA, or vote count analysis, is merely one tool in the town arsenal. (That being said, one of our most successful players, NQT, focuses strongly on VCA as his primary tool.)

If he votes someone, he's guilty of caving to pressure.
If he doesn't vote, he's guilty of not pressing cases.

If he votes someone, he is putting action to his words and I will not be scumreading him for it unless his voting patterns or mental inertia seem to be illegitimate.

I don't understand the line of thinking that encouragement to vote is anti-town at all.

Peradon:

I thought there was... I could be wrong though. I was making the assumption based on the sprint BM, but its probably different here...

Hmm... this is a surprisingly town answer. Fair enough.

I missed the one in your spoiler, but you get the picture. You would think he might have some other questions...

I would definitely recommend looking both at questions and at content. Good on you for scumhunting, though. Active towns are towns that win.

Mainly because I dont have enough to make a final decision. I only voted dani to try to pressure him. Unfortunately, I didnt come up with anything substantial.

It's okay. It's early in the game. Don't be afraid to use your vote. It's not only there for pressure, and just slapping a meaningless vote on a player isn't going to make them crack, but if your vote has a strong foundation, the wagon will build and if you are targeting scum, they -will- feel pressure, even if it's not immediately apparent.

Watch out for townies that become depressive and give up when a wagon forms on them. It's tough to tell the difference between apathetic/upset town and scum trying to "Appeal to Emotion" (AtE), but there are slight differences. Try to get a read on a player's personality as a whole when trying to read their alignments. Remember the following:

Player role and alignment + the player's personality = the posts a player makes

Zormod:

hector, but only because he hasn't made a post that I saw. Probably not his fault.

Inactivity is not indicative of alignment. Inactive players are not any more likely to be scum than they are to be town. A more useful scumhunting tool is looking for players who appear to be active, but aren't actually generating much real game content.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2015, 12:15:28 am »

Mastahcheese:

...what?

NO.

Voting is the only weapon town has to take out the scum. Not using your vote is an anti-town action. Period. (Sometimes it is scummy, but that really depends.) I'm not pushing for players to swing their votes around madly, but I will urge and expect other town players to use their votes in this game. If they think someone is scum, then they should be voting for them.
And the mislynch is the scum's second weapon, in case you forgot.
A vote should be cast when it has been thought over. Questioning someone on why they've yet to vote holds no purpose, but to press them into action before they feel they're ready.
An unprepared town is a feast for scum.

If he votes someone, he is putting action to his words and I will not be scumreading him for it unless his voting patterns or mental inertia seem to be illegitimate.

I don't understand the line of thinking that encouragement to vote is anti-town at all.
I don't care if you scumread it. I care anyone scumreads it. And you can not tell me with a straight face that it's never happened.
If you can, I encourage you to read up. Cause it happens a whole lot.

Encouraging to vote correctly, with thought, and evidence, is town.
Saying "If you think he's so scummy, kill his ass!" is not town. It's scum pushing for a mislynch.
Correct me if I'm wrong. (And no, I am not putting words into your mouth, or saying you said those words. I am using hyperbole to make a valid point.)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Dani

• Bay Watcher
  • Monstrous Nun
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2015, 12:28:40 am »

Barring hector13 and Comrade Shamrock (since they haven't posted much, so there isn't even a gut reaction to go on), probably origami, for not having a top scumspect yet?
Well. That's ironic.
Anyway, it'd have to be Zormod, because he answers what he deigns to answer, nothing more, without much elaboration, and asks generic questions to give the impression of activity.

Vote Zormod
A creature of habit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2015, 12:42:09 am »

hector13: What do you think of the discussions so far?

Well I've been quite massively hungover all day, so technically, yes it is my fault. Now I'm having fun time insomnia on top of that. Yay!

Consequently, I've read through things, but don't have a particularly well formed opinion given my fragile state of mind/energy.

Scripten was an IC in my previous game (the sprint beginners' game before this one) and he does appear single-minded in his scumhunting, which was only a bad thing from my perspective because I got lynched D1 :D but he also figured out the scum-team the next day, so it was effective.

The "Is there mafia chat in this game?" question seems to be his go to n00b question though :P

Dani was in that game too, started out much the same way in that as they did in this, seeming quite scummy with cryptic responses.

They were both town in that game, but that obviously doesn't mean they're town in this one, I will reserve judgment for later.

I would like to point out you didn't really answer Peradon's question about Scripten and Mastah. It's clear Scripten is pressuring Mastah, but do you think his pressure is turning up anything useful, or is it misplaced?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2015, 12:45:41 am »

I think I agree with dani. Zormod seems scum due to the lack of content in his posts. Either he isnt into the game and is just posting one-liners to get it out of the way, or he is scum lurking. I think its the latter.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27