Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Game Over - Scum win  (Read 52005 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Day 1: A thin soup
« Reply #240 on: January 29, 2015, 11:52:09 pm »

Just the way he tries to discredit mastahcheese. I feel that a townie would try to argue and debate about it, but Scripten tries to discredit mastahcheese as a person rather than his arguments.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 29, 2015, 11:55:21 pm »

Just the way he tries to discredit mastahcheese. I feel that a townie would try to argue and debate about it, but Scripten tries to discredit mastahcheese as a person rather than his arguments.

This is called an ad hominem attack. I don't believe I've done this. Can you provide examples? I've certainly become frustrated and lashed out, but none of my points have been based on attacking his character, just his play.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2015, 12:02:14 am »

So am I scum with Hector13 or am I scum with Nerjin? Or is OSG scum with me?

See, this is why we don't do associatives before flips. You start looking silly.
In this quote, It looks like you are calling mastahchees silly.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2015, 12:12:15 am »

So am I scum with Hector13 or am I scum with Nerjin? Or is OSG scum with me?

See, this is why we don't do associatives before flips. You start looking silly.
In this quote, It looks like you are calling mastahchees silly.

Doing associative reads before anyone's flipped is silly. Pointing out interactions is fine, but in that direction (associative conspiracy theory) lies WIFOM/madness.

Hence, calling the play silly. And even then, I'm not discrediting him because he's a so-and-so. I'm discrediting his argument because it's silly and ridiculous.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2015, 12:21:36 am »

Fair enough Unvote

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:37 am »

Can't quote things right now, on phone and on a time limit.

Scripten: I am not trying to insult you as a person, nor your status as IC.

I'm tired of hearing "He's being insane to avoid being lynched."
No. I am explaining what I am doing to explain what I am doing. I am being clear, without caring about how it affects the actual (Before you say it, yes, I know it does, but that's not the intent)

Saying that getting you lynched is a mislynch, and is therefore hurting town:
You realize that I think you're scum, right? Crying "I'm town" has never worked. I could say the exact same thing, that killing me will hurt town. Would you believe that? No, you wouldn't. Nobody should, which is why I won't believe it when you say it.

That advice was not misleading. Mastahcheese's advice, should you call it that, is irrational and nonsensical.
This is purely your biased opinion.

There was something else... Right.
Scripten, don't threaten people with saying your going to have words with them. That's akin to saying "meet me behind the cafeteria after school" and serves literaaly no purpose whatsoever, other than to try and intimidate people.
I'll point out that I could twist this, and say you're using it to push Shamrock into submission, and that's it's for the benifit of your game play, but I know that it's not related to the game, and I won't insult by using it against you in-game.
Do not threaten people. Ever.

Since I'm running out of time, that's all for now.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2015, 10:34:49 am »

I'm tired of hearing "He's being insane to avoid being lynched."
No. I am explaining what I am doing to explain what I am doing. I am being clear, without caring about how it affects the actual (Before you say it, yes, I know it does, but that's not the intent)

What I've been trying to say is that we cannot, by the nature of mafia, trust you. I appreciate that you're not trying to question my integrity as an IC and I apologize if I've been harsh, but what I've been saying is that the position of IC allows me to offer advice from as objective a standpoint as a player in the game can. Without the assumed objective position the IC role offers, we cannot take what you are saying at face value, and trying to push that we should is scummy.

Saying that getting you lynched is a mislynch, and is therefore hurting town:
You realize that I think you're scum, right? Crying "I'm town" has never worked. I could say the exact same thing, that killing me will hurt town. Would you believe that? No, you wouldn't. Nobody should, which is why I won't believe it when you say it.

Okay? What makes me scum, exactly?

This is purely your biased opinion.

You said it yourself, that you did something irrational and nonsensical to prove a point.

There was something else... Right.
Scripten, don't threaten people with saying your going to have words with them. That's akin to saying "meet me behind the cafeteria after school" and serves literaaly no purpose whatsoever, other than to try and intimidate people.
I'll point out that I could twist this, and say you're using it to push Shamrock into submission, and that's it's for the benifit of your game play, but I know that it's not related to the game, and I won't insult by using it against you in-game.
Do not threaten people. Ever.

I have absolutely no power other than that of an instructor. However, talking about this subject during the game is a distraction and I am saying that I will be speaking with you about this after the game. Like I said, if either of you are town, I will just be talking to you about the role of the IC. (Nerjin was subject to this when I was a newbie player, because he forgot to encase some advice I particularly disagreed with in his IC-text. Even though I disagreed, his integrity as an IC should not have been in question.) If you are scum, I personally believe that attacking the IC role for the sake of winning the game is against the spirit of newbie games and should not be done, thus my disdain for the strategy.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2015, 10:49:30 am »

ComradeShamrock, I don't understand your argument against Scripten. Could you summarize it for me, pretty please?

Initial:
Scripten pulling the distancing thing with mastahcheese. Thought that they could have been scum but I was leaning towards standard Scripten play until cheese gave his theory on it.
Scripten then attacks cheese for giving out the theory.
Later Scripten says cheese assumed a position of authority by giving advice. Scripten has done so in past games though not like cheese. Not that Scripten is abusing his IC position but he is accusing Cheese of giving advice and saying it is the scummy. I'll admit it wasn't the best way for cheese to go about it but I didn't think it was that scummy.

Later:
He is giving arguments on scum would and wouldn't do. Saying categorically that they will not attempt to use the lynch on threats and will use the night kill instead.
Seems to be appealing to emotion now. Saying I should vote with him.
Come on, Comrade. You've played enough games now that you shouldn't be falling for this.

Scripten:
No reason? Then that's an excellent reason to do it.

Subjective. Back this up.
You say scum won't press cases. So if someone presses a case that makes them unlikely to be scum which makes it a good place to hide.

Also if you were scum you would have to press a case to be consistent with what I've seen with your play.

Comrade Shamrock:
Yes I'm sure it does. As does this.

Are you SURE you're a newbie, Scint? =.=

What? You make no sense here.

At the time it could have carried several implications. Help from the scum IC, he lied about his experience or that he knew more than he was letting on.

Comrade Shamrock:

Why thank you, I appreciate being insulted as much as the next person.

Not an insult. Your post showed that you had not been paying very close attention to the game. You also have been lurking quite hard all game.

Why is your only contribution to this game with regard to this discussion?
Here are the non related posts to this discussion. Also sorry about not being more available but school is getting in the way. I should be more active over the weekend.

That advice was not misleading. Mastahcheese's advice, should you call it that, is irrational and nonsensical.
Hindsight 20/20. If you had been scum at the time you could have been offering the selfsame advice to build cases, for trust or twisted the advice to make people do more scummy things.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2015, 02:58:28 pm »

You say scum won't press cases. So if someone presses a case that makes them unlikely to be scum which makes it a good place to hide.

That's not what I said. I said that scum, even(especially) smart scum, would generally push easy mislynches. Peradon's assertion that he was a greater threat and thus I was scum for pursuing his lynch doesn't make sense, since I, were I scum, would have already had an easy lynch in mastahcheese (since the day could have easily run out with vote majority on him) so there would be no point in me trying to push for another lynch other than actual scumhunting.

Mastahcheese, however, would have had motivation to get attention off of himself, so he panicked and tried to frame me as scum based on him acting irrationally and using this to "teach" newer players what to do. Basically, it was a faked reaction test, which has smelled scummy to me since he did it.

Also if you were scum you would have to press a case to be consistent with what I've seen with your play.

I haven't yet been scum in any completed games on here, so I don't have any references for my scum meta. That being said, yes, I would push cases. I would probably be pushing cases against targets like Zormod or OSG for various easy cases. (That's not to say that scumhunting these players is scummy or that they are not necessarily scum, however.)

At the time it could have carried several implications. Help from the scum IC, he lied about his experience or that he knew more than he was letting on.

I'm still not catching the relevance?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2015, 10:00:24 pm »

Shouldn't this day be over by now?

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2015, 10:05:22 pm »

Shouldn't this day be over by now?
I thought so also...
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2015, 10:09:20 pm »

Yeah, 8 minutes ago.  :o

Oops, my mistake. I was trying to convince my family to scrounge up enough dice for a game.
Stuffs in a moment.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:46 pm »

Yeah, 8 minutes ago.  :o

Oops, my mistake. I was trying to convince my family to scrounge up enough dice for a game.
Stuffs in a moment.
Yeah, I guess I forgot the time zone... Sorry for sounding pushy...
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Signups
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2015, 10:25:18 pm »

Day 1 ends.
Votecount
Comrade Shamrock: {0}
Dani: {0}
hector13: {0}
mastahcheese: Peradon, Scripten, Nerjin {3}
Nerjin: {0}
origamiscienceguy: hector13 {1}
Peradon: {0}
Scripten: Comrade Shamrock, mastahcheese {2}
Zormod: {0}
Not voting:  Dani, oragamiscienceguy, Zormod

It's getting late and the soup is too watery and the single rabbit that was caught and made into the soup really isn't enough for 9 trolls. Nerjin's tummy growls, and he is getting tired of the shouting by his other troll brethren.

"Enough!" he yells, "We just cook someone and we sees if they taste good! I nominate this guy."

He grabs mastahcheese, and the trolls all start jeering.

Poor old troll named Poe,
Master of a wounded toe,
Didn't get enough to eat.

Put him in the pot, please
Boil him with sauce of cheese,
and later we'll see who we've beat.

After the rhyming session, they dump him in with the rabbit, and start stirring and cutting. The stew quickly becomes a lot thicker, and the trolls get a taste...

If gravel and old leather boots were something you've tasted, then imagine that and a rusted nail; it's roughly how old Poe tasted. He was a Regular Troll.

Mastahcheese has been lynched. He was a vanilla townie.

The sun sets and everyone goes their separate ways to find some good food.

Night ends on Monday, 8:00 MST (GMT -7 iirc). Remember to PM me your actions, or if you have them and choose not to use them.
The Cyan Menace

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LII: A damp troll hole - Night 1: Old Boots
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2015, 10:47:46 pm »

... half of my OP dissapeared.  :-\
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27