Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 163852 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #1590 on: January 04, 2015, 07:28:19 am »

My point is not that you are sexist, but that you are probably basing your opinions off of very hateful and anti-feminist sources.
You're going to need to go into more detail as to why his sources are "hateful" and why they should be held in low regard.

Misandry is a myth and using that term does label you as a sexist, tbh.
Well I guess Samantha Allen
and the SCUM Manifesto are just myths then. Ironically, Samantha Allen is a sexist, and she uses the term "misandry," so you're not entirely wrong.

I understand that you feel that the term is misused, though I would say the same about the term "misogyny."

you found one person, she's probably also a TERF, (though that's just a guess.)

Misogyny is not misused. It does have a power structure to back it up, and it exists in day to day life with long lasting impacts on women. Trivializing that because this one feminist one time said she hated men is absurd.
[/quote]
It was already said that, yes, misandry does not really exist on a cultural level, but that it was still possible for individuals to be misandrist, and then you just continued saying "nope, not that either, misandry is a complete myth"

E: (all emphasis added)
It's perfectly possible for an individual person to be misandrist even if no cultural context for misandry exist. Sure, the consequence won't be as bad for the victim, but it's still totally possible.

the concept of misandry is a myth and its use is often by MRAs and Red-Pillers to complain about any feminist or being friend-zoned and having a women react angrily when they realize the friendship was just a ploy to get in her pants. Plus whatever else those types complain about. The concept as it is used is that "those feminists" are promoting a mass hatred for men.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:30:59 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: January 04, 2015, 07:29:38 am »

This again?

misandry
/ˈmɪsəndrɪ/
noun
hatred of men
This is the definition of misandry in the English language. No mention of power structures. Trying to use an alternate definition that conveniently discludes you from falling under the definition regardless of what you say makes you seem like you're trying to justify your own misandristic views (which I hope is not the case).

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: January 04, 2015, 07:32:26 am »

This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 04, 2015, 07:37:29 am »

As well Smeeprocket's definition of "Systematic Misandry" is limited to Feminazis or feminists trying to put men down.

Which yeah, doesn't exist.

Most systematic misandry is perpetuated... by men.

For example there was a belief that a man couldn't be a "battered husband" because as a guy, they could only be abused if they let themselves be... and were often discouraged from seeking help.

That is a form of systematic prejudice against men. Which lucky today that personal belief has started to disappear. SURE there is no "Battered Husband" law like there is "Battered Wife", but we do have shelters for men.

I have a rather relaxed attitude when it comes to men's rights mostly because I feel it is being dealt with in a timely manner. I only chime in on it when someone tries to say men have no issues worth caring about or that it is wrong to care about it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:41:03 am by Neonivek »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 04, 2015, 07:40:39 am »

Frankly, the sooner this thread gets locked, the better.
This is a blank sig.

VoxieG

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember me, friends?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 04, 2015, 07:43:07 am »

Also, I don't know what a TERF is

Trans-exclusionary radical feminism
I don't really want to give RationalWiki clicks, but I can guess based on what the acronym stands for. I don't see why smee has decided to bring transsexuals into the matter, nor how she could deduce the opinion of Samantha Allen on transsexuals. No matter what the case is, it still seems to be an example of the No True Scotman fallacy.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 04, 2015, 07:47:14 am »

Why? It has a pretty solid article on them, which will also help explain why smee brought transsexuals into it (spoilers: she diddn't really).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: January 04, 2015, 08:24:46 am »

Personally, I think that there's a fine line between pushing for gender equality and subverting femininity.
If you're pushing for your heroines in games to be more masculine- you're part of the problem.

So the real question is, WHY is it a bad thing for anyone to be feminine?
Violence being directed towards women in games is supposed to provoke an instinctual negative reaction in men. Why is that a problem again?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 04, 2015, 08:55:51 am »

I doubt Samantha Allen is a TERF given that a ton of transwomen I follow seem to think she's a-ok.

Here is the full blog post and the extent of her misandry. Her "misandry" is contained to self-preservation and established mistrust of a system that has resulted in reclusion... trying to paint it as worse than it is is an utterly disingenuous move.

i hate men doesn’t mean i hate you. it means i hate your position in this world. it means i’m not obligated to like you. it means i don’t have to talk to you if i don’t want to. it means i get to have my space and i don’t have to dance for you, smile at you, or soothe you. and you can put up with me being wary of you, can’t you, because the world has a fucking red carpet waiting for you wherever you go.

But kneejerk reactions are why these threads go down the shitter I guess.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1599 on: January 04, 2015, 09:17:45 am »

I wouldn't say she's a misandrist or hates men by the normal understanding based on that quote, actually. I'd say she's just a regular person who is aware they have rights.

So yeah, probably what Glowcat says.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: January 04, 2015, 09:40:50 am »

What I've found is that people tend to get rather... Attached... To their beliefs. The same often holds true of religion and other things besides, even something as simple and irrelevant as sports. A person gets attached like this because they have massive personal investment in the belief, and will often use any justification they can get their hands on to avoid being 'wrong' (or even just stick their hands in their ears and yell 'na na na na na na, I can't heaaar youu').
They will cling to their beliefs like glaze sticks to clay. If you try to calmly and logically explain where the flaws you find in their beliefs are, then you are 'THE ENEMY!' and everything you say henceforth is dismissed out of hand, because you are personally insulting them, telling them they are terrible people and wrong about everything and should kill themselves... When you're just saying that, in this particular part of the belief, some improvement could be made to make it better.
Such people tend to end up boxing shadows, and react violently to even the slightest notion that some part of their belief is, in some way, imperfect.

This tends to be their perception of 'the other', which can be anyone who doesn't share their exact beliefs and values, or even shares there values and is attempting to explain to them the flaws that those values have.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, not all people are like this, it's simply and observation I've made. People can get like this in pretty much every scenario. It's quite... Unfortunate.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:42:23 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: January 04, 2015, 09:49:34 am »

Personally, I think that there's a fine line between pushing for gender equality and subverting femininity.
If you're pushing for your heroines in games to be more masculine- you're part of the problem.

Violence being directed towards women in games is supposed to provoke an instinctual negative reaction in men. Why is that a problem again?

I agree with the first part of it, other than that masculine women tend to be treated badly in real life so systematically banning characters from games based on gender expression seems like a problem. Assuming that femininity has to be part of your female representation is a problem, too, though I would very much like to see more feminine lead characters in games.

In the second part, usually feminine is equated with "can't do shit," in part because of the problems presented in the game, which are typically Masculinity Problems--and that's a problem because it devalues one of the complementary genders, systematically, much as that complementary gender is systematically devalued in society for being "useless."

Violence being directed towards women in games is used to create instinctive negative reactions in men, yeah, but it also assumes that men are the target audience right off the bat. How do women feel about violence being constantly directed toward women in games to advance the plot? To be honest, I personally find it very stressful and kind of weird, like, "Why is someone trying to motivate me by frequently killing people who look like me (okay, nothing like me, look at those breasts, and her hair and makeup are great), usually as they moan like they're in the throes of an orgasm?"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: January 04, 2015, 09:53:47 am »

I agree with the first part of it, other than that masculine women tend to be treated badly in real life so systematically banning characters from games based on gender expression seems like a problem. Assuming that femininity has to be part of your female representation is a problem, too, though I would very much like to see more feminine lead characters in games.

In the second part, usually feminine is equated with "can't do shit," in part because of the problems presented in the game, which are typically Masculinity Problems--and that's a problem because it devalues one of the complementary genders, systematically, much as that complementary gender is systematically devalued in society for being "useless."

Violence being directed towards women in games is used to create instinctive negative reactions in men, yeah, but it also assumes that men are the target audience right off the bat. How do women feel about violence being constantly directed toward women in games to advance the plot? To be honest, I personally find it very stressful and kind of weird, like, "Why is someone trying to motivate me by frequently killing people who look like me (okay, nothing like me, look at those breasts, and her hair and makeup are great), usually as they moan like they're in the throes of an orgasm?"

Uhh... You play some weird games.  :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: January 04, 2015, 09:54:27 am »

Code: [Select]
Violence being directed towards women in games is used to create instinctive negative reactions in men, yeah, but it also assumes that men are the target audience right off the bat.
That's a good point Vector.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 04, 2015, 09:57:23 am »

"Why is someone trying to motivate me by frequently killing people who look like me (okay, nothing like me, look at those breasts, and her hair and makeup are great), usually as they moan like they're in the throes of an orgasm?"

What games have you been playing!? O_o
I can't remember any with a death scene like that. It's usually quite tragic.

Games do seem to tend to have emotive deaths of female characters, though there are also ones for guys as well, female cases occur far more regularly. It's probably because games tend to be aimed towards guys specifically, thus making the main character male, thus making the emotive death the 'love interest'... *cough* FF7 *cough*

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 125