Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 163826 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #1605 on: January 04, 2015, 10:03:57 am »

... mooost that involve female deaths. The death cries of women in games are, uh. Things. It's only been in the last year or two I've started actually noticing it, myself, but it's more than a little offputting once that happens and it's basically freaking everywhere.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: January 04, 2015, 10:08:27 am »

What games have you been playing!? O_o
I can't remember any with a death scene like that. It's usually quite tragic.

Uhh... You play some weird games.  :P

I swear that the thing I liked most about the entire Mass Effect series is that FemShep actually sounds like she's being hurt, rather than going "unnnnnnnnnnnh!" like the women in every fighting game, most RPGs (American and Japanese--I play a lot of these), and ... okay, I can't think of any other games I've played with both voice acting and female characters, since again, mostly RPGs, but...

It doesn't have to be a big tragic death scene. It can be the big bad capturing NPC Female Villager #64. Just listen to what her complaints sound like. Pretty much anything with voice acting direction.

I'm not criticizing this universally. It can be fun as a kind of stylization, but it really should not be the standard in games. It's really goddamn offputting.

Code: [Select]
Violence being directed towards women in games is used to create instinctive negative reactions in men, yeah, but it also assumes that men are the target audience right off the bat.
That's a good point Vector.

Thank you :>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 04, 2015, 10:13:20 am »

S'also fairly common in RTS games with female units :-\

Already forgotten which they were, but there was something like three different RTSes I ended up muting in the last year specifically because of that. It's gotten so I'm not terribly enthralled by a fight that sounds like a bad remix of Daijiru.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 04, 2015, 10:13:37 am »

-snip-
I'm not sure if I like or dislike this very... Ambiguous... note.

-snip-
Well the question I guess is how women see violence against women in games.
Because personally I would've guessed you'd have a much different reaction to seeing violence against a woman than a man- because of a sense of comradery, or just thinking that token beefslab of the week seems more equipped to handle a beating.

Other points of queiry:
1. Ever noticed that majority of protagonists in "pew pee stab stab" games are men, whilst majority of protagonists in puzzle games are women- is that an issue, or just playing to majorities?

2. In Tomb Raider, Lara Croft uses a bow, even though most women IRL can't- particularly women so "endowed". Should she?

3. FemShep, despite the rave, is basically a female voice on a male personality- considering they have carbon-copy lines.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:18:27 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: January 04, 2015, 10:15:14 am »

I have thought some female "death cries" (really caused by pain I guess, since dead people cannot cry) were a little too orgasmic sounding before. They should really be more agonised. However, not all screams of pain sound the same and some may sound unusual, so having a few such cries is not unreasonable.

Misandry, misogyny and misanthropy can be expressed by 1 person only, regardless of power structure. None of them are myths. The only thing that is a myth is systematic misandry, but barely anyone claims that exists. The only accusation made here was that 1 woman, not in a position of power, was misandrist, and some very extreme feminists are misandrist. They are just not in a powerful position where that could have much effect.

Most women can't use a bow? Have you seen Olympic archery? Lara Croft is just much stronger than average. They have normal boobs as well. The only time that boobs would be a problem is if they were super massive. Obviously men can shoot bows further and with more power, but women can certainly shoot them well enough for short range combat.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:16:47 am by Urist Uristurister »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 04, 2015, 10:18:16 am »

"Why is someone trying to motivate me by frequently killing people who look like me (okay, nothing like me, look at those breasts, and her hair and makeup are great), usually as they moan like they're in the throes of an orgasm?"

On the topic of female death sounds, this video is quite illustrative.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 04, 2015, 10:21:10 am »

Obviously men can shoot bows further and with more power, but women can certainly shoot them well enough for short range combat.

Yeah, because all men are stronger than women?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 04, 2015, 10:23:07 am »

#notallmen

Most women can't use a bow? Have you seen Olympic archery? Lara Croft is just much stronger than average. They have normal boobs as well. The only time that boobs would be a problem is if they were super massive. Obviously men can shoot bows further and with more power, but women can certainly shoot them well enough for short range combat.

I shall stand corrected whilst I research this better, because the only stuff I really have to go off is historical stuff about self-mutilation and junk.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:24:57 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: January 04, 2015, 10:24:30 am »

Historical female archers did not cut their breasts off. That is a propaganda lie spread by their Greek enemies to make them look like monsters. Women archers were common among the Scythians, but they just looked like strong Central Asian women.

Make sure your historical sources are historical and not propaganda/legends.

Most men can shoot bows further than most women.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:26:50 am by Urist Uristurister »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: January 04, 2015, 10:25:49 am »

Edit: continuing to educate myself.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:29:45 am by Tack »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 04, 2015, 10:27:13 am »

In Brazil? On the Amazon river?

For old times' sake.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 04, 2015, 10:27:52 am »

Personally, I think that there's a fine line between pushing for gender equality and subverting femininity.
If you're pushing for your heroines in games to be more masculine- you're part of the problem.

So the real question is, WHY is it a bad thing for anyone to be feminine?
When you're dealing with physical combat, without magic or technology to negate physicality, you're gonna have a problem when you're lanky, regardless of gender.

A heavyweight boxer is gonna stomp all over the lightweight every time unless there's a huge gap in skill (and then you're asking your audience to believe the lightweight never encounters a similarly skilled heavyweight).

With magic and sufficiently advanced technology it becomes a lot less of an issue. Samus Aran is a believable character (well, besides in Other M). Galadriel is a believable character. But when those aren't there, then your character better be strong or stay out of melee, whatever their gender.

#notallmen

I shall stand corrected whilst I research this better, because the only stuff I really have to go off is historical stuff about self-mutilation and stuff.
I'm pretty sure that was debunked as a myth.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 04, 2015, 10:28:19 am »

You know the Amazones were a Greek myth, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 04, 2015, 10:32:10 am »

Pre Columbian South America is not something I know a lot about, if he means people loving on the Amazon river.

Women can shoot war bows and fight in close combat. They just need the muscle to do so, and generally it is harder for them to get it. To be a believable warrior, a female character must be physically strong and not a thin waif.

For old times' sake.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: January 04, 2015, 10:33:09 am »

"Why is someone trying to motivate me by frequently killing people who look like me (okay, nothing like me, look at those breasts, and her hair and makeup are great), usually as they moan like they're in the throes of an orgasm?"

On the topic of female death sounds, this video is quite illustrative.

The fact that it's entirely from one game kinda undermines the point, but I understand. >_>

League is criticised for over-sexualisation anyway.

I like my thin waifs (pronounced weyf, note wife, right? >_>) though. T_T
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:35:09 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 125