Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164097 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1170 on: June 03, 2015, 05:43:53 pm »

hey syv, here's a few force-field tests for you:

1)see if you can make a seam between two force-fields(say, a field covering a wall creating a seam with a different field covering the door). I had an idea sort of like this:

____
       /      \
------      -----

Where the door force-field projects just a bit further and wider than the door itself, overlapping the wall force-field and creating what all intents and purposes is a solid seam, while still allowing the door to open.

2)see what the force-field resistances for say, carbon fiber and rigid plastics is. I had an idea for a vehicle protected by force fields, but I need to know if the protection for these materials will hold up to conventional armor(say, against all range of current UWM infantry arms and portable heavy weapons)

3)also, see what happens if say, a door with a force-field projecting like I described is rolled behind a wall with a force-field(allowing that both force-fields have sufficient clearance)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: June 03, 2015, 07:12:29 pm »

Sorry, but I'm probably not going to run these experiments for you.  They're interesting, but there's a limited economy of heph actions I can take, especially since PW seems to be ignoring it currently.  Hopefully we can enter the forcefield science into the VR machines soon, allowing you to personally tinker with it to your leisure.

1: Hmm.  I don't think there's any issues with this, although I wonder if the door's field would prevent it from opening widely.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'create a seam'.  Forcefields from the same material can overlap, but you already seem to know that...

2:Carbon fiber would probably make a poor forcefield material, while rigid plastics might make a decent one?  'Rigid plastic' is sort of a wide category though.  Either way, why is this information needed?  If you just want a forcefield-armored vehicle, use fragplate for the projector--that will give you the best toughness.

3: ...I'm sorry, but I don't understand this request.  "is rolled behind a wall with a force field"?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: June 03, 2015, 07:22:04 pm »

3) the door with a forcefield slides behind a wall with a forcefield(like your typical closet door, or sliding glass door)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: June 04, 2015, 01:50:31 pm »

Could work, and would make an excellent door.  If the forcefield is very close to the door, both could go behind, or you could project through the wall if both the wall and forcefield are similar thicknesses.  Either way, it solves the issue of a door being prevented from opening wide.

That's my opinion anyway.  PW can always decide different, although I don't see any reason for him to.  I'm still curious about the vehicle design.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: June 04, 2015, 04:30:52 pm »

I had this idea of seeing if we can shrink the revival machinery small enough(or failing that, build a big enough APC) to create a medavac vehicle that can revive temp-dead troopers, and comes with a full med suite including field surgery and artificial organs and limbs(as well as full robobodies). It would be protected by a forcefield, which is why I wanted to know the protection strength of rigid plastics and carbon fiber as those would be strong enough to be able to carry the payload while being light enough that this thing might still be air-droppable.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: June 11, 2015, 01:44:57 am »

Not gonna lie Nik, that wasn't your finest moment. Out of all the testing one could do with it, something that could easily lead to telefragging was probably the worst. Let's hope the prototype survived somehow, and that the shielding your gave it was good.

@Syv: I asked pw about a spessmagic scanner/copier for artefacts quite some time ago, he said it might not work for some things, but didn't outright veto it. But since we also didn't have the magics factory then, I put the idea in the freezer until that thing is finally done.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:47:04 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 11, 2015, 04:38:35 am »

I have thought about it extensively, and I really have nothing to add or a way to defend my actions. I believed that was an experiment worth making, and it would, at worst, stop the teleportation right there; I was mistaken.
As I said in the logs, I am fully ready to take all responsibility for this disaster and be kicked out from Hephaestus; I believe this was a logical, inevitable outcome for my testing on the matter, and thus it ultimately comes down to having me appointed for the job for my curiosity and inquisitiveness (rather than blaming it on a single 'foolish' decision on my part). Of course, back then the inevitability of something like this happening wasn't clear either, but now it is, so you should deal with Dr. M. Sanctor accordingly, with all consideration, - and hopefully never again face any doubts on the matter.
Decide what you will; I will find it IC enough not to have any OOC grudges, whatever is the outcome. (And you know Piecewise would be delighted with an IC court-martial; it's next to shanking on the ladder of "amusing activities to watch"!)

((I'm a big believer in "firm and well-considered judgement at the point in time does not merit regrets afterwards", as you can see. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 11, 2015, 04:48:35 am »

Isn't it given that when experimenting with weird things bad things is going to happen eventually?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1178 on: June 11, 2015, 04:55:09 am »

Yeah, I agree, it was an OK experiment. Not strictly necessary but also not a bad idea for a thing to test either, if only to confirm the thing's safety on long ranges. My only criticism would be that when handling artifacts, you should probably try some passive tests before moving to active ones. Check the thing with an x-ray scanner before shooting it. Shoot it before disassembling. Generally progress from least to most dangerous and from most information providing to least useful test.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 11, 2015, 05:11:03 am »

Except sometimes it's not possible to know what is dangerous. Then you just have to go with you gut feelings (or don't get attached to your guts too much).

Though granted explosion was quite likely result here. If teleportation isn't instant and is affected by density of mass between user and target then suddenly introducing high density obstacle on the path fusion is probably going to happen.

Hindsight 20/20 and all...
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 11, 2015, 05:21:51 am »

Miya probably won't actually punish anyone on Hep, since that's more Simus' responsability. Well, barring recklessness bordering on massive damage maybe. Too bad she's not actually there to oversee things. So, he might be pissed and chew him out (if he finds out, dunno how we'll do that), but it was an accident due to ill-advised testing during work, not active sabotage.

Still, I had high hopes for that thing. Maybe this shows irc testing isn't ideal, at least when you post actions other people can doublecheck, or one can reconsider after overthinking it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 11, 2015, 06:12:54 am »

It would have been historically correct about Simus, but I recall that she distributed that authority to the newly formed four Heads; then again, originally Simus was appointed by Steve, and answered directly to him, without regard for the Board of Generals. Oh well, maybe I should be more concerned about a trial of peers at this point. Also, as for how Miyamoto finds out, I'd say that the explosion was a bit big and made news; so whenever he comes back from the mission and checks the log of Hephaestus events, he'll probably find out by himself.

Despite this particular concern, I have found that irc testing is actually very nice and fast method of doing things; it would have taken me up to a dozen updates in Heph thread to do all the testing I made there in a couple of hours. Maybe there should be some kind of "chaperone" or something to help with such cases, someone with good gut feelings, like Aoshima put it? Because honestly, I felt nothing special about this particular experiment; I was actually far more concerned with passing through dense materials and after-transportation impact (as evident by the protective measures I took). And I still cannot figure how it could possibly know "when to stop", avoiding similar explosions when it arrived at dense matter outside that experiment (in regular use); it shouldn't have been set, it should have probably been "analysed on the fly", thus with the experiment resulting in sudden stop rather than explosion. Alas, I was mistaken.

Also, Paris, thanks for passive testing idea. For some reason I completely forgot to scan the rifle itself, focusing on the transporation process instead.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:59 am »

You say 'forgot', I say 'passive scans are the bane of PW's existence'.  Kind of like how medical 'scans' are the bane of a doctor's existence.

You say 'I would like to scan this thing!' PW says 'okay... you get several thousand almost meaningless images of the weapon. If you'd like, your character can spend months pouring over the resulting data to maybe figure out what happens when you pull the trigger... or you could pull the trigger.'

I feel like you did this exactly the way PW wants it done. He hands you a black box, you push all the buttons, then you push them differently, and then it blows up in your face. The last step might be optional :P
The 'passive scans' are the sort of thing that I would just have PW consider SoP before any experiments are done, as something to fall back on in the event the artifact is lost, and then never ask him about them again, unless a specific part of it comes up during an experiment.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1183 on: June 11, 2015, 08:14:52 am »

They are not useless. It was mentioned before that the thing was a laser rifle with some attachments. Seeing those attachments could lead to some insight about what the laser does and how it works. Is it a rangefinder? Is it emitted by the rifle or the attachments? Is the attachment a mundane shape that could be replicated like the mind duck gun?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 11, 2015, 08:34:17 am »

mind duck gun?

Sorry for pointing this one out, but the mental image this brings is really great.

*shoots gun*
"Quack."
"Dude, what was that?"
"I dunno, I suddenly just feel like I shou QUACK."
*start waggling around*

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 155