Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164067 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1185 on: June 11, 2015, 08:54:28 am »

mind duck gun?

Sorry for pointing this one out, but the mental image this brings is really great.

*shoots gun*
"Quack."
"Dude, what was that?"
"I dunno, I suddenly just feel like I shou QUACK."
*start waggling around*

Aside from that, Anton has some ideas he could pursue that would allow quantum-level copying of things... the problem is that those ideas are a huge leap from where his understanding of the universe currently is. He's currently in a state of BSOD, after the conversation with the Doctor, and can't decide on what to do. Things he could have tried to pursue he now sees as either meaningless or impossible. He could try to do something if he gets results from his backstory experiment, but I haven't been able to get PW to give me any concrete response on the state of it, so -

I feel like in the state he's in, the most likely thing he'd do is go rogue. Or retire. Get his immediate responsibilities sorted out, set up production orders for the nearest future, then compile the list of things he'd have liked to work on, and bundle it with a short message explaining his reasons for leaving. Then just take the Party Wagon and leave for some barely-inhabited planet on the far end of the galaxy, to live out the rest of his days there, fixing broken appliances for locals and not bothering with the ARM, the UWM, or the fate of the universe.

I even have a backup character in mind for if that happens. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 11, 2015, 10:02:59 am »

Aside from that, Anton has some ideas he could pursue that would allow quantum-level copying of things... the problem is that those ideas are a huge leap from where his understanding of the universe currently is. He's currently in a state of BSOD, after the conversation with the Doctor, and can't decide on what to do. Things he could have tried to pursue he now sees as either meaningless or impossible. He could try to do something if he gets results from his backstory experiment, but I haven't been able to get PW to give me any concrete response on the state of it, so -

I feel like in the state he's in, the most likely thing he'd do is go rogue. Or retire. Get his immediate responsibilities sorted out, set up production orders for the nearest future, then compile the list of things he'd have liked to work on, and bundle it with a short message explaining his reasons for leaving. Then just take the Party Wagon and leave for some barely-inhabited planet on the far end of the galaxy, to live out the rest of his days there, fixing broken appliances for locals and not bothering with the ARM, the UWM, or the fate of the universe.

I even have a backup character in mind for if that happens. :P
Damn, why did you wait so long to say that? Our characters could have been drinking themselves to death enlightenment together all this time! :P
...I can feel your pain. Maurice was this close to saying "Fuck it" and going playing Russian Roulette with a prototype Blaster Pistol from the Armory. Or using that expedition investigating the missing college to escape into a pocket dimension and never return to our universe. But, you know, who else would do our job if not us?

@Kriellya Thank you. I also felt that Piecewise really wanted us to do the Science this way. So yeah, S.O.P. initial passive scanning (with or without any particularly interesting results), and then embarking on delicious dangerous demonstrations.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 11, 2015, 11:43:00 am »

Aww.  What delicious secrets did you two get which are making your chars consider leaving?  I wanna know too. ;-;

...Although if both of you leave, that essentially gives Saint executive power over Heph.  Hmm.

Nik, as far as you being kicked out... I see that as highly unlikely.  IC, Anton's too nice, and Saint doesn't care much as long as you don't make a habit of blowing things up.  Simus might be angry, but she's seemingly permanently catatonic, and technically has no more power than any of us anyway.

As I said through Saint yesterday, I think that only very basic tests of properties should be done before we attempt to reproduce things.  After all, if we can't replicate an item, it doesn't matter how intrinisically we understand what it does--we'll only ever have one copy.  If we run into a wall and can't figure out how to replicate something, then testing makes sense, because we lose little if the item is destroyed, and might gain some additional understanding.

That all said, I don't think your experiment was stupid.  It served the useful purpose of seeing if there was something actual traveling, or if it was purely magic teleportation.  It's hard to imagine why the rifle would explode, if indeed that's what it did.  If you had posted this in the thread, I doubt that I would have stopped you or even pointed out that the rifle's irreplaceable.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 11, 2015, 12:15:29 pm »

Say, do we have any eta yet on that spess magic factory? Any at all? What is it currently waiting for otherwise?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 11, 2015, 12:33:01 pm »

Information on the SMF is on the Hephaestus page, as always.  Does anyone aside from me find that page useful?  Or is it too much of a clusterf***?

I have the Estimated Time of Completion recorded as "End of the M21 cycle" which is meant to mean that it will be completed during the timeskip after M21, M22, and M23.  So, we'll be able to work on it during M24.

Yes, this is the minimum time we can get.  I tried putting all four construction crews to work on speeding it up, but that wouldn't have done anything.  I'm pretty sure that it's taking so long primarily because PW knows we'll start to go wild after it's done.  ...And because we're moving a planet's worth of mass, I guess.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 11, 2015, 01:10:57 pm »

Right, I was searching that page when you posted, quick work.

From other thread: I like the concept of 'pw attention bubble reality distortion'. We have to weaponise this somehow.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 11, 2015, 01:59:58 pm »

From other thread: I like the concept of 'pw attention bubble reality distortion'. We have to weaponise this somehow.

I foresee your crippled body being terminally weaponized.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 11, 2015, 02:11:12 pm »

I foresee your crippled body being terminally weaponized.

Sorry, no prizes for stating the obvious!

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 11, 2015, 02:24:06 pm »

They are not useless. It was mentioned before that the thing was a laser rifle with some attachments. Seeing those attachments could lead to some insight about what the laser does and how it works. Is it a rangefinder? Is it emitted by the rifle or the attachments? Is the attachment a mundane shape that could be replicated like the mind duck gun?

That's a bit different. That's not 'scanning', that's visual inspection. Finding all the obvious buttons and parts, if you will. By 'scanning', I mean asking PW to tell us every little tiny thing about the device. What's it made of, what are the internals, what that completely insignificant part does, can we replicate it, etc. We could *assume* that those scans have been done for any device, because PW would rather not give a flying fuck about what these devices look like on the inside, and there are only a few questions we would like the answer to without any testing, such as 'can we duplicate it'. So just ask those.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1194 on: June 11, 2015, 02:56:33 pm »

@kri: I'd describe visually inspecting the insides of a device and trying to determine its function without using it or disassembling it as scanning. Don't know of there's a better word for it.

Piecewise said we can't just give Nyarstifacts to a science team. So the only way to replicate something that is not strictly mundane (that means something that piecewise answers "No" to the "Can I copy it?" question) is to try and determine how it works. And looking at its insides (if possible) is the first step to that. Then you progressively move to more active tests to determine how it works.

@syv: What's this control implant you speak of? I thought the sods had genemodded pleasure centres that kept them happy as long as they follow their master's orders. Did you change their minds?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 11, 2015, 03:25:44 pm »

Paris, he's talking about manipulator brains.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 11, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »

No, I'm not talking about manip brains.  I don't think they have control implants either?  None that I've read about, anyway.

I vaguely remember that back during the boarding, our sods got lucky and entered the command room of the enemy sods.  They captured the enemy commanders, but the commanders gave an order* which commanded all the enemy sods to turn off their control implants in their brains, effectively cutting themselves off from command.  PW said that a sod which had that happen was completely unpredictable, and might guard a hallway, or go blow up the ship's reactor.

*I think the commanders actually each gave a different order (All formatted like 'Order ##') while being interrogated for the 'stand down' order and our commander decided to try giving one of those orders to the enemy sods.  The order he gave apparently meant 'turn off your control implants, command has been compromised'.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1197 on: June 11, 2015, 05:09:18 pm »

Are you sure the control implants aren't some sort of radio combined with biometric/location sensors like the ones our shock implants have? Did piecewise say what the control implant is and what it does? Because to me, what you're describing to me sounds like they said "The orders you receive can no longer be trusted. Deactivate your tracking equipment. Follow CONTINGENCY." where CONTINGENCY is a preprogrammed order or set of orders.

(By the way, combining our shock implants with a simple radio (maybe activated by pushing a button in our mouth) would be good for spec ops missions.)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 11, 2015, 05:54:34 pm »

Important bits are that the sods say that the control machines actually... control them.  But it's vague enough that you might be correct.  It's irrelevant in any case, because my original point is that they could have a SOP when unshackled to disable any manipulators that they have.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1199 on: June 11, 2015, 06:18:19 pm »

Hm. I guess we'll have to see.

Did you ever try to see what happens when you press a forcefield against hexsand? Is it made of energy? Is it eaten? Because that would make an easy way to bypass it when needed or even stop it from being projected entirely.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 155