Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164089 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1155 on: May 18, 2015, 05:55:11 pm »

I can recall that when I asked AM in-character she offered me something like Coilgun for a reasonable price, but I had no tokens for that back at the moment. But is the standard so big only Avatar can lift it? Or is it custom-produced along with AoW?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 18, 2015, 06:31:57 pm »

There isn't really a "standard" coilgun to my knowledge.  I know that the gunnerbots mount a coilgun, so it isn't restricted to the AoW, but aside from that information is lacking.  Also, these questions are probably better suited to general OOC--it's nice to keep this thread more directly concerned with Heph and Tinker.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 18, 2015, 07:07:10 pm »

@Comrade
Well, there are also coilguns mounted on gunnerbots, so they probably come in variety of sizes and shapes. Oh, Syv has already just said that.

@NAV
As Syvarris said, I don't object to you coming over, as more actions done per GM update is a good thing; there are certain rules in place, though, as he also noted. And yeah, I am also curious in why are you coming and what do you want to do; it would also help with who of the Admins you'd be "officially" working under, per Pyro's/Simus's original rules for Hephaestus tempwork.

@syvarris This is probably going to end up as yet another long and wall-o'-text discussion, but (... hey, why should this discourage any veteran resident of this thread? :P) - why do you consider melee obsolete in ER age? (Not modern age, though, than one I can mostly understand.)
My reasoning is simple: there is a range of devastating scientific effects (kin-amps, vibrating monoatomic strings, etc.) that can be unleashed on the foes only from up close (or, well, it is economical to do so only from up close); existence of Melee Battlesuit variant is proof that being very fast, agile and still quite adequately armored is possible; due to prevalence of Con weapons, most opponents (especially armored and not built for agility) would prefer to avoid melee. Therefore, at the very least in the niche of obstructed battlefields and somewhat diminished line of sight, melee battlesuits can and would wreak havoc upon enemy from up close. Therefore, melee combat has its own well-deserved place in ground warfare. It's "Uncommon", but not that much "Exotic" or "Useless".
(And that's even without us getting into really rare and special stuff like the Avatars or the Arbiters.)
So yeah, running very fast into enemy fire so you can hit people with your spacemagic murdersword. Your turn.  ;D
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 19, 2015, 09:48:20 am »

We have been producing warships since Jan.10th.  I have no idea what type of warships we've been producing.  I'd love it if Sean could tell me.
Late answer is late, but we've been mainly producing these:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Except, you know. Straighter, less cartoonish, more to scale. That sort of thing.

The Grazer is a gamma-ray-laser artillery ship. Extremely effective at extremely long ranges, not so much up close unless the target is very slow and/or very dumb. Has various point defenses and smaller guns to fend off boarders.

The Radiant, or any other name you want to give it, is a skirmish cruiser using two spinal-mount FEL cannons that, because of how their focusing chambers are set up, can fire out any of the numerous aiming apertures around the ship's hull, giving it near complete 360-degree coverage in all planes - though it can still only fire two beams at a time.

For mainly IC reasons, the ships are going to be old-fashioned in regards to crew complement. Each has a QEC unit for direct control via Steve or any other means, and human-accessible controls. Only the command and accommodation decks have life support, however, mostly because between the high-energy reactors and stray penetrating radiation from the weapons, any maintenance personnel are going to be either robots or in suits anyway.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1159 on: May 20, 2015, 03:34:17 am »

Naming something fragplate has me imagining battlesuits on a suicide mission to charge the enemy position, kill as many as they can and then explode killing even more. Kinda like sod grenades. Although it'd probably be more logical in a missile. Edit: And now that I think about it, isn't that what the UWM does with its sods and claymore mines?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:19:49 am by Parisbre56 »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 20, 2015, 04:12:08 am »

It has come to my attention that the otherwise super-helpful summary from M9 does not account for certain additional (later) samples, like the Pink Mist&Pink Mist Tree. Could someone check what other samples and anomaly recordings were taken after that point in time?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 20, 2015, 04:14:08 am »

Don't forget about the various ships I requested, Sean

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1162 on: May 20, 2015, 05:34:52 am »

I never found the time to complete it. But I've written all the samples I remember, like the EM seeking worm and the "analyzer blob" organic computer in the artifact data page. http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Artifact_Data#Mission_9B

Oh, and you could probably use the black tower samples to build a space elevator for Hephaestus. Don't know how useful it would be with all the resources you have, but it would be fun. It would probably be more useful for cheap off world mining, without having to spend money for fuel.

Or you could maybe check if the organic computer has anything in its memory.

And I just noticed I have forgotten to write the Crystalizer fluid there. It's a fluid that crystallises into a very hard crystal when exposed to trace amounts of a certain element. It could be used as a more powerful, more lethal alternative to sticky goop, essentially a wall maker. Could call it "Amber". I'll make an entry for it when I get home.

Edit: Yeah, it's right there in the journal as liquid crystal. I don't know why I forgot to write it in the wiki.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:46:00 am by Parisbre56 »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 20, 2015, 06:45:59 am »

Thank you very much, I will refer to that page, then.

Speaking of which, do we have a Timmy Tear on hand? Does anyone remember? At the very least, I think we got one from the post-Hephaestus Assault fleshmonster survey (one was embedded in the rescued teammate's chest), but I cannot recall what happened to it afterwards.
Past Sigs

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 20, 2015, 08:29:25 am »

IIRC, it's attached to that character's robobody. When they asked if it could be removed, Steve/Piecewise said something about it being what their consciousness was housed in, rather than their (non-existant) brain.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1165 on: May 20, 2015, 12:24:58 pm »

Alarith's char got a timmy's tear embedded in him that saved his life when he was fused with the fleshhorror. It was glowing brightly and allowing him at least some level of (probably unconscious) control over it. When he was cut free, the glow diminished but did not disappear, meaning its spell was still active. So you could probably take Alarith's char stasis dementia suffering body and study it. I think that even though he lost his body during the Hephaestus attack, the tear remained, because bad things would happen if it stopped touching his body(maybe he would start growing uncontrollably, becoming fleshorror again? Or simply die? I don't know). Unless it did not, in which case the doc got it when he was given the robobody.

But Jack's tear is not really needed unless you want to study its specific biohorror-related spell. Some unactivated tears were given to the science team. So unless they used them all to summon booze and prostitutes, they should be there.

FAKEEDIT: Ninja'd by sword.

Quote from: Dr. M.Sanctor, Head of Science to: Hephaestus Administration, General Miyamoto
It has come into my view that there are certain prospects worth investigation in the vicinity of Hephaestus system, most notable being the "Disappearing college" event. I have contacted Anton Chernozorov and he confirmed my judgement independently. I believe that investigation of this and similar events in future may prove highly fruitful, but it might not warrant full Paracelsus Sword detour. As such, I propose the creation of a small research ship, similar in nature and functions to the Sword sans the convict housing, military engagement capability (though at least a single cannon and a laser array should be included for emergency situations, see: 4473 Styx incident) and possibly length of autonomous run. This ship would be under direct purview of Hephaestus Administration (primarily Science branch, but possibly others depending on exact mission nature) and used for missions issued by them. Installation of advanced stealth-systems would be also desirable for covert operations in nearby UWM-controlled space.

Quote from: Anton Chernozorov, text message to Maurice Sanctor; CC Heph Administration, General Miyamoto
I do believe I have a ship that could fit the role, fresh off the shipyard, as it were. The Gram's Scabbard, first of its class. They were going to be used as heavy-duty all-purpose transports, with highly modular and customizable internal spaces. Refitting it into a stealthed mobile operations base should be no problem. I'm attaching a general overview plan of the ship. Can begin work on the refit as soon as the order is given.

Attached are several snapshots of the design. It is a slim, elongated shape, a flattened hexagon in cross-section, narrowing gradually toward the front where it sharply ends in a blunt point. It does look remarkably like a sheath of some kind of gigantic blade, although the ship's provided dimensions indicate that it is roughly half the size of the Paracelsus' Sword. A cluster of engines and powerplants occupies the wider back portion, with a command and crew deck wedged inbetween it and the hind end of the massive layered cargobay that spans the entire rest of the ship's length. The design appears to have no weapons, but it's clear from the arrangement of heavy-duty power conduits on the plan that installing them is part of the modular aspect of the design, with several notes on the plan detailing how it could be turned into a spacecraft carrier or an effective Q-Ship with ease.
I don't think that's such a good idea. The ship Nik wants is a ship capable of performing small-to-medium operations behind enemy lines, possibly for extended periods of time. I mean, the Sword has been getting away with raids on small UWM-friendly worlds, but that's mostly because of Steve's intelligence gathering capabilities and the fact that we're on a remote outer rim sector. If we start moving towards the core of the sector or towards core sectors, then we're very likely to encounter enemy resistance. And unless we make the ship into a dreadnought, then the best course of action is to be fast and capable of evading. So we need a small ship with big engines.

Another reason we need a small ship is that while we can use engines to accelerate to jump speed or while not in stealth mode, we need to use automanipulator engines to move while in stealth mode and creating automanipulator engines that can move anything that big would be needlessly expensive. And with the resources we need to create automanipulators, we can't afford to waste them. Not to mention how expensive coating the entire thing with hexsand plates would be, some of which would need to be mobile in order to allow the craft to go in and out of stealth mode. (unless you're already using hexsand for the hull)

The best solution in my opinion is the ship I designed. A transport, as small as we can make it, that can carry a small spec-ops squad and science team (say 50 people at most, probably around 15-20 during normal operation, we're not looking to sneak an army onto a planet (although that is a good idea for later, if we have the resources for it, just get that Titan Carrier and cover it in hexsand, get a stealthed dreadnaught that can carry an army, is immune to energy weapons and can blot out the stars)) and has just enough to make it autonomous. Supplies, science station, a main cannon for heavy bombardment or ambushing small ships and 2-4 lasers for point defence/light bombardment, artefact containment, hangar and docking bay, sensor array and a navigation computer powerful enough to be capable of moving the ship around in stealth mode (since in stealth mode all sensors are blind, unless the ship deploys QEC probes to aid it). The entire thing is coated in hexsand and stays far enough away from the planet (in the shadow of a moon or similar object if convenient to minimize the chances of being spotted by a lucky sensor or astronomer as a missing star, if possible).

When it needs to deploy its science/investigation/combat/assassination/whatever team, it drops a voidship or better yet an even smaller craft (let's call it Stealth Insertion Pod). Now the SIP is going to need a little thinking and research, because this is something that is going to be deployed on planets, and in the scale of planets, to be safe you need more than being blackhole black. On planet we don't really care about heat emissions that much, but we do care about other electromagnetic emissions. Already there are advanced radar systems designed to counter traditional stealth craft by looking for the electromagnetic shadow they leave. A system like this on a satellite or even a grid of sensors meant to bounce radiation off the higher levels of atmosphere could easily detect a hexsand covered craft by the shadow it leaves.

(A similar defence could be encountered in a solar system, some sort of swarm of sensor lasers that continuously scans the system (or the area around a jump point) for voidships when a jump is detected, but that would probably take a while to build and be only availiable to core sectors once they know we have voidships. And even if they start employing laser sensor swarms, we could just attach stealth ships on civilian freighters to mask their arrival. (I know the UWM has no voidships that we know of, but we should probably make some of those laser sensor swarms, just in case they have a similar (although probably less efficient) material.))

So the SIP still needs a small automanipulator drive and it needs to enter the atmosphere slowly to minimize heat during reentry, but it also needs something to cover its approach. I think the best thing for that would be something based on the Cloak of Invisibility, a more advanced version of it. So once the SIP approaches the planet's atmosphere, it deploys its cloak (switches the side of its outer plates from hexsand to light bending? deploys a bubble around it like a Martian lander? That would require some research and experimentation.) and hides itself by bending almost all light around it (high energy light would probably be hard to bend but also unlikely to be used in sensors). It would probably still emit some heat and cause a small distortion around it depending on the quality of the effect and material, but it would make the chances of being detected very small.

Alternatively (if, for example, the SIP is damaged or off to another mission) or if the SIP idea is infeasible, we could use a voidship for insertion. Simply fly the ship in there during the night (to minimize the chance of being spotted by humans), land on a remote spot and then deploy some sort of advanced camo netting to hide the ship while the team goes about its business, maybe something based on the Cloak of Invisibility technology again.

Could also use an extra voidship or two to dispatch people to nearby systems if necessary or to make supply runs to Hephaestus and bring artefacts back for study while the ship continues to its next destination.

Even if it is detected (for example, when entering the system, although I think it can enter the system in stealth mode, since it just need a certain speed to do so, no acceleration), it can just make a straight run towards a safe point or blind spot and then activate stealth mode and get some place else. With its speed and engine, it will be able to move very fast and evade enemy fire (assuming it didn't get stupidly close) and any shots that hit will be only capable of damaging the sensors or engines.

And if we make it small enough, the ship I designed should be capable of landing on planets, although I don't know how useful that would be. Could be used for long term operations or hiding, I guess, when we want to land on an asteroid or something or minimize supply runs for some reason. Or maybe if we have to deploy something heavy but fragile on a planet.

Completely irrelevant and not really important with ER tech, but with the design you went with, wouldn't it be better to put the main engines close to the front so that when accelerating you are pulling instead of pushing? Or better yet have multiple engines?

Also irrelevant, but a stealth pirate ship would be nice. Move close to an isolated enemy ship, and either attach yourself to it and board it or just disable its comms and/or sensors and then slowly rip it apart while it can do nothing.

Irrelevant, something interesting about the super bell you just finished researching:
It continues to resonate.
You put it in a bubble of physical resistance around it.
It keeps resonating. The sound doesn't appear to be stopped by the bubble.
uh...
Sucking the air away from the thing works, though it is still visibly vibrating.
That material is really fun. Too bad you can't make an ultra thin one out of mythril. Combining aluminium and mythril would probably cause the first to be destroyed the moment it's stressed too hard.

The rock flies lazily into the crater and gets shredded apart. Mototov has a similar effect.
If the shredder crater is still there, you could use it for disposal. Or even research it, maybe try to find where it is anchored, unless it's some sort of gravitational anomaly without a physical anchor you can replicate.

There was also a really hot hole there. And the aurora. Some other weird things. They might not be useful as weapons and they might be impossible to replicate, but you could use them for experiments. Somebody should write about those in the Hephaestus page.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:56:24 pm by Parisbre56 »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 20, 2015, 05:54:57 pm »

@Sean
Thank you for the ship descriptions.  Do you think you could give me a rough estimate for how many would be made per month?  Or do you think I should just ask PW?

Also, when are we gonna switch to entirely robotic fleets?  And do these ships have hexsand armor, or battleplate?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1167 on: May 21, 2015, 03:24:56 pm »

Spoiler: @syvarris (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 22, 2015, 01:36:23 pm »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 27, 2015, 03:12:48 pm »

Sorry for taking so long, I had to take a little break from wall-o'-texting.  ;)

Spoiler: @Melee discussion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: @On stealthships (click to show/hide)

Finally, I have discussed with Piecewise the possibility of making Counter-Pressure underwear for Mk suits (complete with neck airtight seals) and he agreed that it can probably work.
Spoiler: Relevant log (click to show/hide)
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 155