Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164119 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1110 on: May 01, 2015, 12:43:13 pm »

@RC Thanks for the help.
Also, yeah, I remember it just as Paris said, so unless it was a different time, it might work for certain few artifacts.

Also, coincidentally, I too thought about building a smaller ship similar to Paracelsus's Sword. But Paris's idea of making it a stealth research ship trumps everything. :P
I mean, the main danger with the Paracelsus's Sword (and especially so with this ...Descartes's Rapier?) is that it might have a hard time standing up to a fleet of regular military ships. As such, if it is ever ambushed, it might come off badly and even risk capture or destruction - and with a stealthship we are practically immune to ambushes! Not to mention such a valuable ability as go into UWM-controlled space unnoticed and conduct the vital research right under their nose.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 01, 2015, 01:02:22 pm »

I asked him on irc once, quite some time ago, and he said (iirc) it wouldn't work on the teleporter.

Also, sure, coat that ship in stealth tech. But note that it'll also need automanips to move stealthily, which might become really expensive for a larger ship. Also, jumping into a system will always be noticeable.

Oh, and we should call it Occam's Razor.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1112 on: May 01, 2015, 01:06:08 pm »

I've been suggesting the stealth transport idea for a long time, I even suggested sending an IC message for the small prototype I designed in tinker, but nobody was interested in building it. I can send a message now, if you like, say it was sent before I landed in that hell hole.

And you don't have to be stealth all the time. The prototype I developed can use normal engines and only enter stealth mode when necessary. It's necessary to have conventional engines for all non shuttle ships, because accelerating to jump speed would take too long and be too expensive otherwise.

So you just need to give full automanipulator stealth capabilities to the lander shuttle.

Edit: Oh, and piecewise never answered my question about stealth jumps on the tinker thread, so unless you read that somewhere else...

And even if that doesn't work, we can use limpet stealth ships attached to "civilian" vessels. I'd asked piecewise about that too, but he didn't answer.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:10:23 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 02, 2015, 11:25:16 am »

A thought hit me the other day: you know how a big disadvantage for using lasers in space defense is that, unlike Hammer rounds, they don't track, and thus are too easy to dodge at long range? And how diffraction will also broaden the beam so much that it loses a lot of penetration power?

Well, here's an idea: what if we installed a series of lenses and (parabolic or otherwise) mirrors around the Hep system, with which we refocus the beam and 'bounce' the laserbeam/pulse around? So then, the part that is aiming at the actual enemy ship is a parabolic mirror much closer than the actual laser, while also focusing the beam into a very tight spot at its focal point. The mirrors would be small installations of sorts, with motors to rotate the mirror, a couple small positioning rockets for when more movement is needed, some sensors and a QEC.

So, you could have a massive laser (thinking hard X-rays, though I'd have to check what would be best. Using X-rays would mean we can't really put one on a planet, I think) inside eg the moon of Hep, and it could fire anywhere in the solar system as long as the lens/mirror system is still intact/sufficiently dense. So, an enemy ship might be a light minute away (enough time to dodge), but if the nearest mirror is only 5 lightseconds away, then chances of hitting become much better. And even if the moon is facing the wrong way or the sun is in between, you can bounce around the beam and still hit. So, your own cannon can be safely hidden away, while still having striking capability.

The mirror net would be 'denser' at certain spots of course (eg a ways out of the FTL jump point there'd be some redundancy). And other ships and such could also make sue of it to greatly enhance their effective range. Of course, mirrors can be taken down, but against that we could cloak them, or make them so cheap we can afford to lose a couple for every ship we take out.

You could build several lasers around the system, to ensure there's always a cannon source near (reduces total time between shot and hit), but even far away cannons might still be able to engage targets. Hell, you could build a ring of cannons around the star and give them large solar panels.

I'd need to further work out the concept of course. Though if pw rules it could work, it might be applicable on different scales as well.

EDIT: here's a quote from project rho i found on the subject:
Combat Mirror

A more scientifically plausible but much less dramatic laser weapon is the combat mirror. In this scheme, the spacecraft doesn't have a laser, just a large parabolic mirror. The laser is several million miles away, on a freaking huge solar power array orbiting your home planet. You angle the mirror so it will do a bank shot from the distant laser off the mirror and into your target, then radio the laser station to let'er rip. About fifteen minutes later the diffuse laser beam arrives, and your parabolic mirror focuses it down to a megaJoule pinpoint on your target.

The advantage is that the spacecraft does not have to lug around the laser, the power supply, the heat radiators, and other massive elements of the laser weapon. The spacecraft can have a higher acceleration or increased payload. The beam can also be of a power level associated with laser equipment that is not considered "portable by spacecraft", if the laser generator is a few miles in diameter your spacecraft could care less.

Disadvantages include the lag time between ordering a shot and its arrival, and the vulnerable nature of the combat mirror (generally little more than a large Mylar balloon).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:42:05 am by Radio Controlled »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 02, 2015, 12:07:21 pm »

Hmmm. Perhaps with some preparation, these could even be deployed in fleet battles (namely when defending places that are not necessarily Hephaestus system). I think these would do well with Sean's FEL-cruisers.

Still, as for the space combat, I'm still trying to gauge the best way to use glowworm-gun technology. We know that given enough time even a tiny shot can be fatal; conversely, it does not need to be a huge powerful ship armament, it could just as well be used on a massive fleet of tiny ships - fighters' renaissance, perhaps? Or, more accurately, drones, since perhaps a hardware AI can be easier accomodated to extreme g-loads than anything human-brain-based. These could even be fired out of the same gauss cannons used for ships bombardment: either by deliberately "missing" a little, or aiming true and depending on the enemy maneuvers/automanips to avoid the hit (which might also be useful, in a way) to get the tiny (by ship scale) weapons in range.
Of course, if we manage to find out how to efficiently scale the weapon and solve the problem of the projectile hitting at long range, it might just as well be a regular "main caliber" ship weapon.

Conversely, I think we should actually employ forceshields for our ships' protection, even if rather thin: the protection they would offer against the same glowworm (and other "grey goo"-type) weaponry, not to mention the mere chemical weapons (as demonstated effective by current missions), is very promising.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1115 on: May 02, 2015, 12:11:22 pm »

Hexplate can be used to reflect non-kinetic energy, so you could use that for x rays. Don't know if it's the best choice though. Maybe we should turn an asteroid into a capital ship. Or make a Titan ship.

Oh, and someone send a probe or even a voidship to that Titan carrier, if you can? Salvaging and rebuilding such a large transport would be invaluable.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:13:34 pm by Parisbre56 »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 02, 2015, 10:48:49 pm »

I had an idea a little while ago, while eating steak.  Forcefields of the same material aren't solid to each other, you can move them by pushing on them, and they can be set to project at variable distances.

This means that we could layer the shield-projecting materials on top of each other, but in such a fashion that they all project their fields into the same spot.  If it's impossible to not have a 'top' forcefield, we can seperate the projecting materials with something like a very resistant spring that allows the top field to be forced behind the others when hit too hard.  If either idea works, it might be possible to have the fields effectively add their resistances together!

Of course, this being useful for battlesuits relies on a full forcefield covering being less than 2.5x as expensive as a standard plate of armor.  Even if it isn't, it might allow forcefields to be practical for larger things, like tanks and planetary installations. 

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 03, 2015, 01:22:02 am »

Now what applications would Pimp Cane metal have? It can change shape and it can produce lift strong enough to hold adult man up in the air. New type of jetpack? Hoverboard V2?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: May 03, 2015, 01:28:58 am »

Perhaps some sort of emergency actuator integrated into robot bodies and exoskeletons that, through the use of EXO rolls allows the user to increase the output of their motors?

Or make brain-cases out of them so that exo-users can just suddenly fly out of their bodies and amp everything?

Wait, we could hook them up to manipulator batteries to make levitation/recoil-dampening units! We might even be able to make LESHO rails out of them and have them cancel out the recoil forces (not sure what that would be useful, I guess if someone wants to give it a drum magazine and use it as a squad support weapon...).

And surgical applications for civil use. Just have them move around people's blood vessels and cut away clots/tumors/genitals.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:33:03 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 03, 2015, 07:10:28 am »

@syv:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@ dev:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:11:15 am by Radio Controlled »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 04, 2015, 12:29:36 pm »

Empi and others:  You folks could do a bit of research into how Q'baja handles criminals of murder and other high-offense crimes; if you needed seed material, maybe they wouldn't mind to much if a few of their problem criminals disappeared.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1121 on: May 04, 2015, 05:14:36 pm »

@Sean: You should probably also check for biomods, dna alteration or degradation, any signs of foreign organisms, any signs of space magic influence and any other signs of anyone having been influenced by the kind of exotic materials you are working with.

Oh, and about drugs, what exactly do you mean? Even things like recreational drugs like cigarettes? Because with such a diverse worker population on Hephaestus (remember "Rasta O'Maley"?) you're bound to have a few users of drugs like caffeine or alcohol.

And maybe check the sod brains too when you have some time, just in case someone sabotaged their templates with a small but important imperfection. Or merely as a quality assurance test, since there are bound to be errors in a biological process.

And also make sure there are sods present during the test (and perhaps the test happens in some sort of isolation room without the one being tested having prior knowledge) just in case someone decides to go out with a bang or something.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 04, 2015, 07:33:08 pm »

I've been thinking about MCP vs. Mk comparison, when it hit me: can't we simply put on a skintight stiff-fabric bodyglove (for the lack of a better term) and then wear Mk series as usual? That way, even if a puncture comes, the inner shell could hold the hole with pressure; and without all the nice things (radiation/heat protection, heat dissipation, etc.) the skintight suit might just be cheap and thin enough to remain "free" cheap and make no difficulty of using the regular suit; and the irises already have the force and sharpness to snap through the bones, so mere stiff fabric should not be of a problem.

Why all this trouble? So that we could possibly make the self-sealing suits with the use of black goo sample from the anomalous planetoid; I think that stuff (or possibly some other material) can easily fill the thin distance between the Mk suit and skintight bodyglove and, remaining fluid while not exposed to the "outside", it can provide little to no difficulty of using the suit.

As for the helmet, it's still a slightly hardened fishbowl even in MCP series; probably no way to go around this unless we can agree to wear skintight masks. And even then the mouth will probably have to remain closed all the time, and there will be a small tech-problem of dealing with eyes. So no, I don't think we can go away from fishbowls.
Past Sigs

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 14, 2015, 11:02:52 am »

@Ao AND Emp (pimp cane)

Good ideas, thank you!  I've added them to my tinker file.

Spoiler: @Radio (click to show/hide)

@Nik

Interesting idea.  I think the primary two obstacles would be the in-character concern of encumberance, and the problem of cost.  Both the MCP and MK lines are somewhat restrictive, and wearing both would be doubly uncomfortable--like wearing two jackets at the same time.  Cost is an issue because it's more material, although just having redundant pressure systems would probably not be too expensive.

Still, it's certainly worth investigating.  Both issues are probably too minor to really mean anything.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 14, 2015, 11:28:07 am »

I would like to see if you can bypass Pimp cane's will control for more reliable control.

Also one thing: if you could store predetermined forms into the cane metal and then switch between forms. It will probably cost full free transformation, but that's fine.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:37:14 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 155