Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164163 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1095 on: April 30, 2015, 07:05:10 am »

I just need to type up the final description, then it needs to do a final pass by pw, and the council of course. And yes, they'll probably go through prototyping. Seems fairest.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 01, 2015, 04:32:01 am »

Spoiler: blaster pistol (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: blueshard rifle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Blaster Bazooka (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:29:37 am by Radio Controlled »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 01, 2015, 06:19:13 am »

I hope you don't mind your blasters not staying in their own power niche for long, though. ;)

First thing Anton's going to do when he sees the schematics is realize he can upgrade the laser weapons line with the same technical solutions, and apply them to his own creations as well. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 01, 2015, 06:51:42 am »

I hope you don't mind your blasters not staying in their own power niche for long, though. ;)

First thing Anton's going to do when he sees the schematics is realize he can upgrade the laser weapons line with the same technical solutions, and apply them to his own creations as well. :)
Go for it!

You're basically gonna build blueshard bats for the existing laser weapons then? Or what did you have in mind?

Also, these are the full descriptions, the final armory entries might be snipped a bit to decrease length (eg 'has 3 firing modes, standard, medium and diffused. See own page for info.')
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:02:42 am by Radio Controlled »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 01, 2015, 08:38:48 am »

Why not blueshards for the HEP to make a HEP machine gun?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 01, 2015, 09:06:12 am »

Why not blueshards for the HEP to make a HEP machine gun?

We don't know how to dump energy into a hep to force it to reload faster. We aren't even sure if that can be done at all.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 01, 2015, 09:27:24 am »

Yeah, basically that. Make no mistake, energy machineguns are coming eventually. The unique mix of penetrating energy blasts and kinetic force is too good to ignore.

And no, Radio, not exactly. I'm going to overhaul our laser weaponry to be more compact as well, though it will retain its higher price mostly. The laspistol will still be two token, and will be more of a laser SMG, size-wise, to allow constant firing at various intensities without overheating, as well as the use of the precision focusing option instead of the shotgun spread. The cutlas-rifle will be about the size of a Barrett, for similar reasons. The "big gun" slot will be filled by a conventional laser the size of a Raduga, delivering near-lascannon level firepower for disposing of really big groups of particularly nasty things.

Then I'll overhaul the Spektr and the Raduga. Both were created early on, before the new materials and upgraded powersystems became standard. I'll either increase the power output of both, or make them cheaper, depending on which niches end up being less filled in the armory. Could probably phase out the handlaser altogether and make the Red Hand cost a token as well. And maybe give it a less silly name. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 01, 2015, 09:53:33 am »

I have to agree with Sean's approach; don't know whether the weapons should be made as expensive as they were, but complete overhaul is planned, and at the very least it would probably greatly decrease the weapon prices if their designs were left the same - or allow to improve on the designs while keeping the price, as Sean suggested.
We are entering Renaissance of Deathtube tinkering!

On HEP matter, I would like to add a single correction: as Sean can confirm, I've asked Piecewise whether its possible to use better generators to increase the "reload speed" of the HEP, and he confirmed it. Now, however, there are two tricky parts: it still overheats when firing, so 1-minute-cooldown is actually also "cooldown" period in the original meaning of this word (:P), and the energy inflow has certain criteria too match if it can be used to power the HEP (it was originally described as "continious" rather than "discrete" of our usual generators; and I can easily see that as a simplified explanation of a more complex matter).
That said, I can only quote the immortal words of the person who spoke before me:
Make no mistake, energy machineguns are coming eventually.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 01, 2015, 10:28:54 am »

All well enough, as long as you don't forget about my beautiful navy! And please get those jump point defenses at the 4 Hep entrance systems in order, as well as the spy sattelites on systems approaching these. We're practically blind now, but we do have some transports we can use for this, as well as production capacity to spare. You are our defense administrator, after all, so those are primarily your responsibility.

Also, Nik, as head of science, any plans on how to tackle the teleporter gun?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:35:08 am by Radio Controlled »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 01, 2015, 11:38:34 am »

I, uh, hm. No, haven't thought about it yet.
It is probably a safe bet to say I'm not going to test it personally (Hello, -2 Con!), but should I use sods, or have a simple machine pull the trigger?..
What to test: teleportee subject radius, effective range, teleportation through materials; possibly check for "before" and "after" teleportee consistency. Should I try dismantling it (again, not personally - this time probably with the help of a Science Team or somebody) to see what's inside and how it works, or rather not risk breaking it? Can we "copy" the object on molecular level (without looking into the insides), by the way?

Also, how should we tackle the "disappearing college" investigation? I'm not sure Paracelsus's Sword's mission schedule can be altered, and yet we do not have any other FTL-capable exploration ships available yet. Should we construct one with the purpose of such expeditions, or contact Steve and request to make a detour?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 01, 2015, 11:44:21 am »

If all we need is a group of investigators, without heavy firepower, the Party Wagon will suffice. It can offer fire support as well, if heavy firepower ends up being needed.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 01, 2015, 12:12:43 pm »

Yeah, Sean's ship could work here, though I again voice my request for a mini-sword for us to expand our mission radius.

@nik: yeah, I'd first do extensive experiments on the characteristics of teleportation (check if air molecules at target switch places, or if you leave a vacuum, check if it works through smoke, test what happens when you shoot a mirror, ...). After that, try out some scanning equipment, see if you can figure out something about the inner workings. Then carefully take it apart, examine the pieces, maybe compare to the teleported tech Aresteve made. Then, put back together and fire again while doing scans, this time hopefully better knowing what you're looking for. Finally, let a science team try to re-engineer (or even just copy) the important pieces to try and recreate the effect.

Of course, all this can change as you do tests.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1107 on: May 01, 2015, 12:16:15 pm »

About duplication: You could ask about the precision duplication  automanipulator they use in the space magic factory. It's supposed to be used with space magic, so it might work. Don't know what's it supposed to do though.

About probe network: If you're worried about losing ships, you can just shoot the probes through the jump gate.

About transporting troops/investigators: Since you don't care about the cost, why not use the Voidship or a bigger version of it that has research facilities and  containment systems and heavy weapons. A stealthed mini Sword, essentially. Maybe look at the other HMRC ships for ideas.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 01, 2015, 12:18:04 pm »

I asked pw about duplicating artifacts before, but he said no. Dunno if still the case.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1109 on: May 01, 2015, 12:29:32 pm »

I asked pw about duplicating artifacts before, but he said no. Dunno if still the case.
He didn't say no, he said there are cases where it will not work or the duplicate won't be exactly like the original. He didn't say that it was completely impossible. At least of you're talking about the time I remember.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 155