Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164153 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1080 on: April 27, 2015, 06:18:14 pm »

On the subject of forcefields, the materials dont need to be an element do they?

If soft, ductile materials produce the strongest forcefields we should totally anchor the effect to some aerated play-doh.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 28, 2015, 12:16:26 pm »

On the subject of forcefields, the materials dont need to be an element do they?
If soft, ductile materials produce the strongest forcefields we should totally anchor the effect to some aerated play-doh.

Could use aerogel?

In other news, wiki polls created!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 28, 2015, 12:25:17 pm »

Hey, Radio, what about the option "I don't need to read any descriptions for weapons whatsoever, I helped invent half of them myself, and binge-Tinkered with the other half!" and/or "Wait, there's a wiki page for those? I've still been using the old forum-posted price list."? :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1083 on: April 28, 2015, 01:02:52 pm »

Good idea. And that will probably also allow you to mold the forcefield into any shape you want. Now we just need to find the best material.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 28, 2015, 01:09:59 pm »

Well, the original artifact was made of gold, or at least looked golden. Maybe gold is the best material. It's a very soft metal.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 28, 2015, 03:40:55 pm »

@Nik
You didn't have to stand in for me.  :(  I can still access IIRC on my phone, I just haven't been around much.

Spoiler: @Radio (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Nik
I just understood. The forcefields are the ultimate chemical-resistant armor, aren't they?

They should be, yeah.  I thought of that shortly after Prea had his arm's armor eaten.  Who'd have thought the prototypes were actually useful, for once?

It's also great insulation since it's reflective to non-visible light.  And it could be the solution to weak joints in hardsuits of any type.  And it's basically a HEAP round without any fancy complex machining.  And it could be the thinnest, lightest armor we've yet developed.  Overall, forcefields are just awesome.

Quote from: Nav
Well, the original artifact was made of gold, or at least looked golden. Maybe gold is the best material. It's a very soft metal.

It probably wasn't gold.  Gold doesn't burn well, and IIRC the original artifact was on fire.

Regardless, we can go waaay softer than gold.  I wonder how the effect is applied.  Maybe we could stick it to water, or a non-newtonian fluid of some kind.  Wouldn't that be interesting...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 28, 2015, 04:15:01 pm »

@syv:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overall, forcefields are just awesome.

Yes, they sound promising, but we'll have to wait and see what they cost. If it's too expensive, it'll severely cut down on what we can use it for in terms of player equipment (also other uses, of course, but less perhaps).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:24:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1087 on: April 28, 2015, 04:41:19 pm »

Even if we disregard other things we can do such as shape changing weapons that never get dull (imagine a forcefield monoatomic blade) or shape changing armour or artifact containers or plasma/explosive/gauss hybrid weapons, then there's always ship shields. Imagine having a shield you can reorient and shape into anything you want to deflect enemy shells rather than trying to stop them. And it will be very useful in retaining the ship's atmosphere in cargo vessels if it is made of multiple small modules with backups. Only problem is that if the shield fails, the anchor explodes, so it will probably have to be put somewhere close to the outside of the ship.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 28, 2015, 04:44:04 pm »

Even if we disregard other things we can do such as shape changing weapons that never get dull (imagine a forcefield monoatomic blade) or shape changing armour or artifact containers or plasma/explosive/gauss hybrid weapons, then there's always ship shields. Imagine having a shield you can reorient and shape into anything you want to deflect enemy shells rather than trying to stop them. And it will be very useful in retaining the ship's atmosphere in cargo vessels if it is made of multiple small modules with backups. Only problem is that if the shield fails, the anchor explodes, so it will probably have to be put somewhere close to the outside of the ship.

Maybe put the shields on big (movable) struts on the outside, so that when they explode they don't damage the ship, and the struts can be moved to create gaps in the overall shield for weapons or shuttles.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 28, 2015, 07:32:33 pm »

Spoiler: @Radio (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paris

I don't think shape changing weapons are practical, because you still have to build in all the mechanisms, make sure they're robust enough to survive hitting things, and even after all that you're limited if forcefields don't pass through each other.

Artifact containers are a given.

Plasma rounds are an interesting idea, although they'd be less useful if plasma doesn't weaken the forcefield.  It needs to burst when hitting the target, rather than bouncing off or penetrating through.  Or penetrating in and then stopping.

Shielding ships with forcefields is a bad idea.  Kinetic weapons are easier to dodge than survive, so lasers are the only real threat.  Thin layers of hexsand are highly resistant to lasers already, so there's no benefit to forcefields.  Also, once one segment of the shield is destroyed, the entire thing goes.  One particularly strong hit, and you're left with no armor.

I don't think there's much value to atmosphere sealing.  For one, we're predominantly going to have robot ships, where any pilots are in braincases.  For two, any places where we could expect to lose atmosphere, there's simpler methods of putting measures in place to avoid loss.  And for three, you can't deactivate a forcefield without detonating it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1090 on: April 28, 2015, 08:35:43 pm »

I disagree with some things you say syv but I don't have the time to argue right now. I just want to say, before I forget, PUT A REARVIEW CAMERA IN ALL MK SUITS. It saved my life in the fight with the UE, where Steve watching my back warned me of impending danger and I'm certain having eyes in the back of your head will be helpful in many situations.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 29, 2015, 04:02:56 am »

@syv:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shielding ships with forcefields is a bad idea.  Kinetic weapons are easier to dodge than survive, so lasers are the only real threat.  Thin layers of hexsand are highly resistant to lasers already, so there's no benefit to forcefields.  Also, once one segment of the shield is destroyed, the entire thing goes.  One particularly strong hit, and you're left with no armor.

for protection against kinetics at closer range, such as planet-bound missile systems perhaps? Dunno how well our lasers could defend against that. Decently, probably, but it could be worth to check.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:16:46 am by Radio Controlled »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 29, 2015, 10:45:26 am »

Good idea. And that will probably also allow you to mold the forcefield into any shape you want. Now we just need to find the best material.
Actually try aerated or semi liquified silly putty.
The silly putty is stretchier.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 30, 2015, 04:30:56 am »

So, what is the deal with the blaster weapons, in the end? Are they already approved (since Piecewise more or less helped statting them himself, in their latest revision)?

Asking because this marks the opening of a new era in weapons' power, tier if you wish, and future tinkerers might want to design accordingly.
(Oh, and for the record: I'm all for this change finally happening, it was long due, it actually allows to outdate some weapon designs, makes the progress feel real, and, the greatest of it all, forces the tinkerer minds to learn the prices and the "feel of balanced weapon" anew.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 30, 2015, 04:35:39 am »

I'm guessing that since they're designed by Miya, they still go through prototyping. They may be approved, but we still send them for testing next mission, and they get added to the armory after that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 155