Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74414 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Civilised Edition.
« Reply #405 on: November 21, 2014, 01:35:45 pm »

The thought that this may be interpreted as me condoning rape and mass murder of civilians has not occurred to me in the slightest.
Funny, seeing how you were replying to someone talking precisely about that...

I was replying to this:

Hate... Do I hate Russians? Nope.  My feeling toward Putin and others like him is exactly that:
No one spoke of hatred of the Russians. the feeling experienced by all the Chechens, from the youngest to the oldest, was stronger than hate. It was not hatred, for they did not regard those Russian dogs as human beings, but it was such repulsion, disgust, and perplexity at the senseless cruelty of these creatures, that the desire to exterminate them — like the desire to exterminate rats, poisonous spiders, or wolves — was as natural an instinct as that of self-preservation.
Right from a wonderful piece of early XX century Russian literature. 

As for Russians, like Knit Tie who are nice guys but fail to admit that their country is a large criminal and finding excuses to feel better. Their excuses do anger me more than  "we invaded you, Muhahaaha" or "all American puppet Ukrainian Nazi should die" kind of behavior but there are no hate. There are a pity.

And then there Russians who support Ukraine, who oppose all that criminal absurd of current regime in their country. Funny how that is mostly Russian  rights, from moderate national democrats to outright Russian Pan-Slavic imperialists. (War in Ukraine created huge division among Russian nationalists)

I don't see rape or mass murder of civilians here, only shitty ubermench-untermench ideology. Do you?
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 21, 2014, 01:45:27 pm »

My quote is about what humans tend to feel when cruel invaders arrive. Do you even know where did I take quote from? 
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 21, 2014, 01:46:44 pm »

No, and also I did not knew about existence of that "kill germans" propaganda piece until today.

Enlighten me.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 21, 2014, 01:53:12 pm »

... it's from Tolstoy. His final work.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 21, 2014, 01:54:16 pm »

No, and also I did not knew about existence of that "kill germans" propaganda piece until today.

Enlighten me.
The "Kill the German" propaganda piece was written by Ilya Erenburg, if I'm not mistaken.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 21, 2014, 01:55:00 pm »

... it's from Tolstoy. His final work.
Huh.

Never heard of it before. Weird, considering I've read plenty of books.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 21, 2014, 01:57:03 pm »

Hey, I've read it. Nice book, fun to compare with Pushkin's views of the Caucasus.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 21, 2014, 01:58:17 pm »

I think it is my mistake. Out of context it can be easily misinterpreted

By the way, Sergarr, when you said -"what we did with Chechens was right." Which time did you mean? 19th century? 1944? Chechen wars? All of them?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 21, 2014, 02:03:44 pm »

Well I meant the Chechen wars, since for some reason I've went totally blind to the whole "early XX century Russian literature" and thought it was somebody talking about more recent times.

I sorta saw the quote and went totally ape-shit. Shouldn't have done this, but I'm pretty tired right now, and not in the best of my mental conditions.

I should go to sleep now, before I say anything more stupid.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 21, 2014, 03:08:07 pm »

I think I'll prophylactically lock the thread for a day to allow everyone to stop misinterpreting one another and cool down.

Sergarr: Don't be a mainiac, read what your opponent is trying to say before you start frothing at the mouth. Rabidly defending a position that nobody has tried to attack does not win you any favor, and doubly so if you insult those who disagree with you and make inflammatory comments in the process.

Ukrainian Ranger: While I understand the purpose of your rhethoric, posting things that can easily be interpreted as a call to kill all Russians as an ethnic group because of their Untermensch qualities, well, posting such things does not help your cause. Besides, history is long enough that, with due effort, you can find dirt on every ethnicity and every nation, including Ukrainians and Ukraine, so using historical wrongdoings (and taken from a work of fiction, no less) to justify modern positions is misguided at best and hypocritical at worst.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:58:21 pm by Knit tie »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: On Profilactic Lockdown.
« Reply #415 on: November 21, 2014, 03:14:13 pm »

probably a good idea

things should cool down in the meantime

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 21, 2014, 03:16:53 pm »

Why did you unlock it?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 21, 2014, 03:17:58 pm »

Why did you unlock it?
To give some advice to Sergarr and UR to help them stop being so confrontational.

Anyway, lock now until Sunday.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:57:33 pm by Knit tie »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 22, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »

Doublepost to inform the forum community that the thread is now unlocked.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 22, 2014, 08:51:29 pm »

Damn, I thought I could get some work done since this was locked until Sunday evening...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 62