Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74344 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Civilised Edition.
« Reply #375 on: November 20, 2014, 07:32:28 pm »

There wouldn't have been a large civil war without NATO's intervention. The rebels were already pretty much defeated before it happened. Then the NATO swooped in and destroyed the country.
Because Gaddhafi had already anounced that he'd drown Benghazi in blood after his victory. In his case there were crimes to prevent! Hell, even Russia agreed on that - there was a UN no-fly zone resolution after all.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 21, 2014, 08:22:25 am »

One year. One year since everything started. One year since Ukrainians decided to not live like Soviet cattle. One year of our war for Independence.

I remember everything... First "they doomed to fail protests" November 21 were a handful of students just wanted to say 'we do not want to live like Russia, we want EU-like rights.

Violent sadistic beatings at November 30, fear anf growing anger starting from November 31, angry millions on the streets on December first, more sadism from Berkut... then Start of the "dances and songs" phase. Appearance of paid tugs, first kidnappings... January 10 with a failed attempt to disperse Maydan. January 16 with its dictatorship laws. January 19 when first molotovs started to fly around.  January 22 with first confirmed KIA of this war. More clashes... Senseless negotiations of opposition with Yanukovich. Tragedy of February 18, 19, 20. Russian troops entering Crimea. First killed Ukrainian serviceman. Appearance of Strelok and co... mutilated bodies of Ukrainians tortured by Russians. Appaling weakness of our armed forces. May 2 retribution in Odessa(First time when we actually fought back). Appearance of volunteer battalions. Top class raping of Russian special forces in Donetsk Airport resulting in first cargo 200 to Russia. Senseless ceasefire. We start to liberate our land paying blood for every meter. First shelling from Russian territory. More liberated cities.  Illovaisk catastrophe. Successful defense of Mariupol. Siege of Donetsk International Airport.... More will follow
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 21, 2014, 09:08:59 am »

I hope your Ukraine finds peace soon, UR.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 21, 2014, 09:10:55 am »

How do you think that sounds in his ears, coming from you, Knit? I share the sentiment, but I'm afraid it must seem hypocritical to him.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 21, 2014, 09:15:34 am »

How do you think that sounds in his ears, coming from you, Knit? I share the sentiment, but I'm afraid it must seem hypocritical to him.
UR'll hate me until the war ends, there's nothing I can do about that, but I assure you both that my wish is genuine. I am a pacifist, after all.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 21, 2014, 09:39:53 am »

'Surrender and you'll be at peace!'

I also like 'your' Ukraine. As if there's another Ukraine that belongs to Russia.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 21, 2014, 10:05:02 am »

Hate... Do I hate Russians? Nope.  My feeling toward Putin and others like him is exactly that:
No one spoke of hatred of the Russians. the feeling experienced by all the Chechens, from the youngest to the oldest, was stronger than hate. It was not hatred, for they did not regard those Russian dogs as human beings, but it was such repulsion, disgust, and perplexity at the senseless cruelty of these creatures, that the desire to exterminate them — like the desire to exterminate rats, poisonous spiders, or wolves — was as natural an instinct as that of self-preservation.
Right from a wonderful piece of early XX century Russian literature. 

As for Russians, like Knit Tie who are nice guys but fail to admit that their country is a large criminal and finding excuses to feel better. Their excuses do anger me more than  "we invaded you, Muhahaaha" or "all American puppet Ukrainian Nazi should die" kind of behavior but there are no hate. There are a pity.

And then there Russians who support Ukraine, who oppose all that criminal absurd of current regime in their country. Funny how that is mostly Russian  rights, from moderate national democrats to outright Russian Pan-Slavic imperialists. (War in Ukraine created huge division among Russian nationalists)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 21, 2014, 10:30:02 am »

Hate... Do I hate Russians? Nope.  My feeling toward Putin and others like him is exactly that:
No one spoke of hatred of the Russians. the feeling experienced by all the Chechens, from the youngest to the oldest, was stronger than hate. It was not hatred, for they did not regard those Russian dogs as human beings, but it was such repulsion, disgust, and perplexity at the senseless cruelty of these creatures, that the desire to exterminate them — like the desire to exterminate rats, poisonous spiders, or wolves — was as natural an instinct as that of self-preservation.

As for Russians, like Knit Tie who are nice guys but fail to admit that their country is a large criminal and finding excuses to feel better. Their excuses do anger me more than  "we invaded you, Muhahaaha" or "all American puppet Ukrainian Nazi should die" kind of behavior but there are no hate. There are a pity.

And then there Russians who support Ukraine, who oppose all that criminal absurd of current regime in their country. Funny how that is mostly Russian  rights, from moderate national democrats to outright Russian Pan-Slavic imperialists. (War in Ukraine created huge division among Russian nationalists)
In a funnily ironic twist, I also feel pity for you. Such genuine black and white worldview cannot evoke anything else.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:50:44 am by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 21, 2014, 11:27:46 am »

I like how Russians are not human beings now. Guess Hitler was right in his decision to exterminate those untermenches, amiright?

Also now I think that what we did to Chechnya was not only necessary to preserve our state, but also necessary to eliminate the blatant Nazism ideology.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:30:19 am by Sergarr »
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 21, 2014, 11:50:04 am »

... UR has stated fairly repeatedly that the only beef he has with russians are with those that are either actively invading his country or supporting such (either materially or rhetorically).

Also, no, there were a great deal of fucking atrocities committed by russian forces in chechnya that there are absolutely no justifications for. Calling that shit necessary is frankly fucking sickening. There is no excuse for the mass murder of civilians, among all the other shit russia's forces have gotten up to in relation to that situation. Period. If something like that is necessary for the preservation of a state, that goddamn state does not need to be preserved.

Protip: No, it wasn't goddamn necessary.

And yeah, to cut the likely response off at the knee, there were atrocities by the chechnya side, too. That doesn't make the response acceptable.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 21, 2014, 11:51:10 am »

Also, Chechnya is Nazi now?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 21, 2014, 11:52:24 am »

I think Sergarr was being sarcastic there.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 21, 2014, 11:52:29 am »

Please don't mind Sergarr's comment, it was supposed to be satire.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 21, 2014, 11:54:53 am »

Use the sarcasm font if you're going to be saying something that is in incredibly piss poor taste if misconstrued.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 21, 2014, 11:56:42 am »

Use the sarcasm font if you're going to be saying something that is in incredibly piss poor taste if misconstrued.
Why do you care so much about Chechnya?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62