Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Human Orbit | Influence your crew as the AI of a space station  (Read 30298 times)

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
Re: Human Orbit | Influence your crew as the AI of a space station
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2014, 02:06:41 pm »

Huh. Interesting. One question, what is even the intended function of the sphere you inhabit?

From a Q/A they did here
Quote from: Karl
It’s several decades after world war 3 (A war started due to depleting resources), nations have become weak and corporations strong.

As technology advanced space mining has become big business and seemingly the answer to Earths prayers. A mining boom begins from the capture of nearby asteroids, planetoids and planets (including uranus which was mined to depletion). However the low hanging fruit is soon picked and corporations tentatively begin space exploration for easier, more profitable claims.

Alien artefacts are discovered from a long dead civilisations but no contact has been made, the race is presumed extinct.

At great cost the Genesis corporation stations in orbit of a distant promising planet. The planet is filled with alien artefacts to study and the climate is fit for terraforming. Due to the great distance of this frontier planet they equip the station with advanced computer systems capable of largely automating the station and man it with a small skeleton crew.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2014, 05:56:34 pm »

so you're saying

uranus is out of resources

Eheh.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2014, 06:14:16 pm »

I didn't actually mean the station. I meant the 'sphere the size of a small grapefruit' that is the player.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2014, 04:21:14 am »

I didn't actually mean the station. I meant the 'sphere the size of a small grapefruit' that is the player.
The player is actually a sentient AI, so the sphere is literally just a maintenance droid that you assume control of so you can explore the physical space.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2014, 04:59:07 am »

It's the station AI, [Test Subject Name], it allows the whole station to function. Pulling all of it's circuits out to the sounds of Thus Spake Zarathustra is a really bad idea. In case you were wondering. So don't.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2014, 08:45:44 am »

The player is actually a sentient AI, so the sphere is literally just a maintenance droid that you assume control of so you can explore the physical space.
You're not technically a sentient AI, or at least not designed to be. Advanced, yes, but the sentient part is more or less an accident.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2014, 12:26:38 pm »

You're not technically a sentient AI, or at least not designed to be. Advanced, yes, but the sentient part is more or less an accident.
Yes, not intentionally. But you do achieve sentience, creating a narrative opening for the player.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2014, 05:34:23 am »

http://humanorbit.com/2014/teaser-trailer/

Things are happening! Things are happening! Things are happening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aifd0wBAbNM

Is it just me or are those two characters chasing someone covered in warpaint?

CommunityWorkerPrime

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2014, 12:00:06 pm »

It'd be interesting to see if your station would end up like that if you pushed it in that direction

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2014, 12:22:39 pm »

I missed this the first time around, but the trailer hit good notes for me. Amusingly, my initial impression was also SS13...

so basically a game revolving around AI DOOR

i'll ptw

...except that you can indulge in all of your power fantasies and Sims-esque torture without people crying for ban he.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2014, 02:18:15 pm »

The video looked fairly scripted but I believe the UI interface for selecting people and possibly the camera movement may have been in game video. Unsure about that notification area. I think the statues need to be a little more.... enhaced.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2014, 02:35:22 pm »

I missed this the first time around, but the trailer hit good notes for me. Amusingly, my initial impression was also SS13...

so basically a game revolving around AI DOOR

i'll ptw

...except that you can indulge in all of your power fantasies and Sims-esque torture without people crying for ban he.
You can do that in 2d spesshmans too, just wait until you roll antag or are subverted.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Karl_Autelia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2014, 06:19:23 pm »

Hey guys

Karl here (Creative lead) from Human Orbit. I thought I would drop in and answer a couple of the questions:

... what's progression through the game going to be like? You've said that you'll start off with a small crew and you'll get more people as you get more important, but how does the station get more important? Getting the crew to do research? Will there be a campaign with some sort of plot, or just a pure sandbox? Win conditions? Any particularly interesting failure conditions (beyond the obvious everyone dies, losing power, etc)?

That's a big question but I'll do my best to keep it short!

Progression is subtle but it's there in a number of ways. In the early game you don't even have access to all of the station and have to 'infiltrate' the systems to gain control of them first.

I can't give you specifics on the mechanics of that as we are trying a few different things out, but we are thinking along the lines of virus-laden e-mails and droids. Of course the security and maintenance crews keep a sharp eye on anomalies so you will have to draw their attention elsewhere whilst this is all going on...

Later progression is built from manning the station with the highest quality people you can. It's also about dealing with the individual dramas that arise on ship. On the macro level you are assessed regularly by the corporation that funds the station as to how well the station is preforming. The corporation may wish the station to be used as a prison ship, a 'space-utopia' (good PR for the corporation) or even the research station it was actually designed to be!

There are a lot of failure conditions. Besides the more obvious failure conditions, you can bring on board space-junk from the planet to research. The junk may turn out to contain alien spores or addictive medicines or a wide range of items/things, with all the failure conditions they suggest...

Karl_Autelia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2014, 06:31:40 pm »

So on the station there is a brand new experimental computer system, survelliance drones (the spheres) are hooked up to that central computer. You also have a few service droids made by another company you can dock to for when you need a good robo-arm...

Karl_Autelia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2014, 06:58:20 pm »

It'd be interesting to see if your station would end up like that if you pushed it in that direction

With dystopian gangs? Totally possible. People form social groups based on shared ideals and shared personality traits (as well as external forces bringing them together or apart). If things collapse, and a group of friends are particularly aggressive or self-serving ,then you are going to get these sorts of situations arising naturally.

I don't know about the war-paint though, that might be cut.

The video looked fairly scripted but I believe the UI interface for selecting people and possibly the camera movement may have been in game video. Unsure about that notification area. I think the statues need to be a little more.... enhaced.

Tobel is pretty much exactly right. The notification window is an experimental feature in-game but seemed to work well for communicating things in the trailer.

He's also right about it being mainly scripted but we have kept it as true to game-play as possible.

We actually wanted to release a build to the press instead of a trailer. It looked like it wouldn't be together quite in time for Christmas press though so we put out a trailer instead.

Which means you can expect more game-play footage over the next month or so! We actually leave our day jobs and go full-time on this soon, which is nice
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13