Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Human Orbit | Influence your crew as the AI of a space station  (Read 30274 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Human Orbit | Influence your crew as the AI of a space station
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2014, 03:58:59 am »

This sounds more and more Fun.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2014, 04:15:35 am »

I missed this the first time around, but the trailer hit good notes for me. Amusingly, my initial impression was also SS13...

so basically a game revolving around AI DOOR

i'll ptw

...except that you can indulge in all of your power fantasies and Sims-esque torture without people crying for ban he.
I just like that you can either go 'Sims-esque torture' or help them along.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2014, 11:21:55 am »

I missed this the first time around, but the trailer hit good notes for me. Amusingly, my initial impression was also SS13...

so basically a game revolving around AI DOOR

i'll ptw

...except that you can indulge in all of your power fantasies and Sims-esque torture without people crying for ban he.
I just like that you can either go 'Sims-esque torture' or help them along.
Why not both?  Treat everyone else well.... But... Single out a few people and make their life a living hell/socially cut them off from everyone else and/or whatever have you.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2014, 11:28:21 am »

Why not both?  Treat everyone else well.... But... Single out a few people and make their life a living hell/socially cut them off from everyone else and/or whatever have you.
Of course. Of course. Everyone denies it, but they all have favourites.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2015, 10:08:10 pm »

Hey all, lots of blog posts have been made over the last few months. Might be a useful time to check on progress. Lots of talk about the NPC personality system and some station design info.

http://humanorbit.com/blog/

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2015, 10:00:52 am »

This looks really cool, and I can't wait to see what comes of it!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2015, 05:33:19 pm »

Oh wow, I'd forgotted about this (and how awesome it is)

The traits systekm seems super-complex - How can constant processing of all those variables and their interaction be handled well between a hundred NPCs in real-time? On commerical mid-end PCs? After several hours of play?

watching this spot.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2015, 09:09:47 pm »

From what I could gather the traits stay the same for each character, it just adds a bit of variation in how any character will respond to a certain situation.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2015, 01:56:02 am »

That was my concern - every little thing, every conversation, every decision, every movement, every request, every Email is constantly drawing on 30+ traits and how they interact, and that sounds like it might be a little resource heavy, especially when combined with the (amazing-looking) graphics, huge draw distance, real time simulation of 100 NPCs having physical and digital conversations and forming opinions of people all the time as well as all the mechanical systems such as power.

Remember - every single item in the game has a function, a purpose, or value to an NPC, everything is interactable. There's no 'desk clutter' object, any clutter will be single items left there by NPC/drones.

While it sounds like the best thing since sliced bread, my computer is quite old and I'm not sure how they'd handle all that.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2015, 03:49:13 am »

Remember - every single item in the game has a function, a purpose, or value to an NPC, everything is interactable. There's no 'desk clutter' object, any clutter will be single items left there by NPC/drones.

You have proof of this? I don't remember this being stated by the devs.. Like ever

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2015, 04:20:49 am »

Oh my goodness.
This is registering significantly on my hype-o-meter. Considering that it's being taken up by That Which Sleeps currently, that's a big deal.
Eagerly watching.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2015, 12:08:56 pm »

-snip-
I don't think that the traits are the problem out of those. It'll literally just be a numeric value associated to the NPC that is used in (some) interactions, but in predefined ways. The far bigger resource hog would be NPCs actually trying to get things done, assuming they do it in an intelligent manner. Sorting what tasks need to be done and in what order, pathing to where it needs to be done and also to any items that need to be used...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2015, 01:53:25 pm »

NPCs are assigned jobs that they would generally stick to if I'm understanding this.  Not really generalists who do anything asked of em like how a Dorf Ford could be run(by players).  Don't have your janitors doing the plumbing or electrical work kinda deal, so sorting is less of a problem. 
But... I guess things can decide to coincidently all break down at the same time...  And a certain AI may be able to help prioritize things if they choose to.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2015, 01:58:44 pm »

ptw

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile