Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Human Orbit | Influence your crew as the AI of a space station  (Read 30273 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Human Orbit | Influence your crew as the AI of a space station
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2015, 04:02:53 pm »

While it sounds like the best thing since sliced bread, my computer is quite old and I'm not sure how they'd handle all that.
I have to ask, are you saying that you personally are worried that your computer might not handle it or do you expect new games to be designed with 'quite old' hardware in mind?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2015, 12:20:29 am »

ptw

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2016, 07:31:53 am »

I have not read any announcement that this has been shelved, so I remain cautiously hopeful?

It seems as though there is a significant audience for this thing, so I do hope the developer finds it worthwhile to continue it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2016, 07:39:23 am »

Last blog post was April 2015... over a year with no news. I'm thinking it's dead, Jim.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2016, 08:11:22 am »

Damn, when I saw this bumped I was really hopeful. 

Thanks Obama...  :P

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2016, 08:19:40 am »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2016, 08:33:34 am »

DOOOOOOOOM

Yeah, you're not wrong.  And I don't disagree.

And the Dev's facetube page and tweetify feed have absolutely nothing doing with the game, which further drives home your point...

But... BUT... There is a market and demand for this, and whatever troubles came up in development could probably be overcome even if it meant a fresh start. 

No one else is making a game like this right now, nor have they previously.  And there won't be one in another 5 years, either.  So dude has some time to sort his stuff out, if he still wants to.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2016, 10:44:35 am »

I'm guessing they came to a point where they could start getting a feel if the game was "fun" and noticed that no, it's not fun. Most of my personal projects die due to that reason. I was really interested in the concept, but had a hard time imagining this to actually be fun for a longer period of time.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2016, 10:54:39 am »

I have not read any announcement that this has been shelved, so I remain cautiously hopeful?

It seems as though there is a significant audience for this thing, so I do hope the developer finds it worthwhile to continue it.

if you need to scratch the killer ai in space itch
https://plaw.itch.io/computer-open-that-door

ok ok it's a coffe breaker not a real game. but still, amusing.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2016, 11:14:13 am »

I'm guessing they came to a point where they could start getting a feel if the game was "fun" and noticed that no, it's not fun.

Would have expected a dev post to that effect. 

Introversion said the same thing about Subversion, but frankly I think they had their... I think they were wrong.  There is a huge demand for the stealthy B&E game, from retro (monaco) to modern (payday) to fantasy (thief) to sci-fi (invisible inc).  It is on TV (leverage).  It is in the movies (oceans 11).  It is on boardgames (the perfect heist), and table top RPGs (shadowrun).  People eat that shit up.  Pull your head out, Introversion, put a wrapper on your game, and let people heist some heists with the thin veneer of a plot on top.

Human Orbit isnt /exactly/ the same, but the principal is similar.  the "god" game is popular (populous), the "doll house" game is popular (sims, dwarf fortress), the AI game has a fair bit of love (singularity endgame).  Hell, Sims is barely a game and it is popular as all heck. 

Their 30 personality/mood stats are already more than the Sims have, closer to the order of Dwarf Fortress.  People would be happy enough to sandbox around.  Slap the veneer of a game on top, and keep it in EA until you figure out what you want it to be.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2016, 11:30:24 am »

to fantasy (thief)
New thief or old thief? :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2016, 11:51:20 am »

Introversion said the same thing about Subversion
I think Introversion ran out of money and entered a crisis situation where they needed a product sooner than 3+ years

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2016, 12:08:15 pm »

Regardless, I think the key is that there is good will towards this game.  Plenty of people would like to see it, as evidenced by all the PTW lurkers, and a gap exists in the current marketplace.

All the news and press coverage from 2014ish was VERY positive, and there's no reason not to muddle past whatever the setbacks are -- even if it means stomping on the big red reset button.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2016, 12:23:52 pm »

I don't know much about subversion so I can't really talk about that. However, I can respond about the human orbit comparisons.

From what I remember about human orbit, it was a game where you could influence the crew by using anything that was connected to a network; Doors, phones, computers, life support, etc. It was a sandboxy game from what I remember.

The sims was hugely popular due to the multiple ways you could play that game. Some used a money cheat and designed beautiful houses while never actually playing the game. Others role play a character and try to have him live the way they imagined he'd live. Some do a challenge run with 8 kids etcetera. Even though you might say it was barely a game, it actually gave you a ton of options to play how you want. I was always the guy trying to max out everything, seduce everyone and earn money to buy the most expensive stuff.

I've never played the first populous (boooo) but from what I heard it's somewhat of a puzzle strategy game. Populous: The Beginning I have played however and I can explain why I thought that game was fun. For its time, it was quite nice to look at and the spells were amazing to watch. Each level had a certain way you had to play to beat it, but you could brute force your way through it in the earlier levels.

Human Orbit seems to me that it revolves more around one gimmick, which makes it more similar to a game like Red Suit. Fun for a bit but once you've seen what happens when you do X & Y, you stop being interested in it. Dwarf fortress is actually so much more complex compared to all other games mentioned. Just check one of the boards and see the amount of discussions that take place there.

Edit: Actually, the way I see I see it, Human Orbit would be like playing Dwarf Fortress in a pre-defined fort, no immigrants, no projects. You are able to toggle levers, lock doors, create burrows and assign dwarves to roles.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:27:26 pm by Shadowgandor »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2016, 12:57:42 pm »

Subversion sounds like the typical "well what if we made a game and it was ALL COMPLETELY PROCUEDAURALLY GENERATED?/??" except a few years before that sort of thing became popular and also introversion are good enough at making games that they realised that wouldnt be fun.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13