Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 85

Author Topic: LIMBO:Testing more stuff  (Read 107191 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: LIMBO
« Reply #300 on: September 08, 2014, 02:57:56 pm »

((Tavik Toth's character is carrying a lit glowstick. Does that affect what we can see?))
Only if he throws it down the tunnel. There's plenty of light from the area behind you, it's just that it won't reach all the way down that hall since it's not directed into it. A flash light would, but a hall light or the undirected light of the glowstick doesn't.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2014, 03:37:22 pm »

Throw Glowstick then ready snapper.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2014, 03:38:21 pm »

If I think I have enough time for it, turn my flashlight on and point it down the hallway. If one of those exoskeletons or a larger variant of the ones we've seen so far, or some other kind of machine is charging at us, fire my rocket launcher at it. If we manage to damage it, defend myself and Tavik Toth's character against melee attacks with the Stun club and go after joints with the Cutting Torch. If the rocket and the probable Snapper gunfire don't seem to damage it, run for the stairs.

If I don't have enough time to get both a flashlight and a rocket launcher out, just fire the rocket launcher down the hallway blind. Then try to get the flashlight out. If it isn't slowed down by the rocket, run for the stairs.

If I attempt to run and can't manage it because of my ankle, and/or I or one of my teammates cannot outrun whatever's coming down that hall, turn around and attack it. Try to hold it off, but if I can get a few hits in, too, that'd be nice. Aim for joints.

EDIT: If one of my teammates decides not to run even if the rocket launcher and Snapper gunfire has no effect, don't run away on them. Stay and fight.

Spoiler: Ben Febinez (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:50:21 pm by swordsmith04 »

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2014, 03:41:49 pm »

Descend.

Spoiler: Hapah (click to show/hide)
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 08, 2014, 05:03:32 pm »

Go film stuff happening to the others. Follow if they run, stay if they don't.

Spoiler: Alec Badel (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2014, 12:19:34 pm »

Throw Glowstick then ready snapper.
You huck the glowstick down the hall. The bright, green tinged light tumbles through space, illuminating more and more the hall as it goes. About 40 feet down it hits something. There are several Exoskeletons in the hall; empty but somehow standing and moving. And they are headed towards you at a jog.

If I think I have enough time for it, turn my flashlight on and point it down the hallway. If one of those exoskeletons or a larger variant of the ones we've seen so far, or some other kind of machine is charging at us, fire my rocket launcher at it. If we manage to damage it, defend myself and Tavik Toth's character against melee attacks with the Stun club and go after joints with the Cutting Torch. If the rocket and the probable Snapper gunfire don't seem to damage it, run for the stairs.

If I don't have enough time to get both a flashlight and a rocket launcher out, just fire the rocket launcher down the hallway blind. Then try to get the flashlight out. If it isn't slowed down by the rocket, run for the stairs.

If I attempt to run and can't manage it because of my ankle, and/or I or one of my teammates cannot outrun whatever's coming down that hall, turn around and attack it. Try to hold it off, but if I can get a few hits in, too, that'd be nice. Aim for joints.

EDIT: If one of my teammates decides not to run even if the rocket launcher and Snapper gunfire has no effect, don't run away on them. Stay and fight.

You shove your way to the front of the group and drop down onto one knee, balancing the rocket launcher on your shoulder. You take quick aim down the hall, aiming for the center of the advancing mass of animated metal. You hit the trigger and the rocket ignites, straining to free itself for an instant and then screaming down the tunnel, lighting it with a flaming trail of exhaust. It strikes the exoskeletons a fraction of a second later and the shaped explosive detonates, hurling a wall of force and sharpened tungsten armor penetrator shards forward through the oncoming mob. The explosion, though directed forward, is so confined by the hall that a good deal of the shockwave gets directed back up the tunnel and into the team, most of whom go tumbling over backwards. You manage to stay up, kneeling as you are, but you can't see anything down the hall, thanks to the dark and the smoke. Your ears are ringing and deafened by the blast, so you're not sure if you could hear anything coming either.

Go film stuff happening to the others. Follow if they run, stay if they don't.

You film the whole thing with the glow stick and the rocket, through the shockwave of the explosion plants you firmly on your ass, with the camera staring up at the ceiling.

Descend.

You take a few steps down into the pit, following the stairway which is literally nothing more then metal wedges that have been driven into the wall, with no railing or solid floor between them. You go down about a dozen stairs and then look back up. The pit edge looms 50 feet above your head and the stairs are each 6 or 8 feet apart from each other.

"Thats...unfortunate."

You feel yourself starting to panic, so you close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Freaking out won't help you survive.

You continue down the stairway until you reach the last stair. Looking up now, the pit must be a mile deep, or more; and the spacing between the stairs increases as it goes down. The space between this last stair and the one just before it must be over 30 feet. The amber cube waits below, but the room it's in is much larger then the shaft, and there's no safe way down from this last stair; the shaft just leads to open space above the cube. The cube itself is, however, only, you think, 15 or so feet below the last stair. You could probably just fall and land on it; but if you screw it up you could easily break your leg.

Damn, should have known to bring some rope.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2014, 12:22:25 pm »

Get up and ready snapper again. Back away from the door several meters.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 09, 2014, 12:35:26 pm »

Get my flashlight out, then stand up and back up a few meters as well. Point the flashlight beam down the hall, and wait for the smoke to clear. Engage any exoskeletons that emerge from the smoke or otherwise come into melee range, if any.
Glance back the way we came once or twice while waiting, just in case the exoskeletons up near the elevator are coming at us, too.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2014, 09:23:58 pm »

Welp.

Drop my bag and murderswag down, then try to hang off the last step. Drop down!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »

Still filming.

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #310 on: September 12, 2014, 12:39:02 pm »

Welp.

Drop my bag and murderswag down, then try to hang off the last step. Drop down!

You drop your bag down as gently as you can, and then attempt to slowly lower yourself down off the step and drop onto the surface below.  You lower yourself down so that you're only holding on by your arms, and you're in the process of shifting your elbows off the stair so you'd only be holding on with your hands, when you lose your grip and fall. You manage to stay upright as you fall and hit the ground as best you can, half rolling, half crumpling as you do. Your feet are stinging and you've managed to badly bruise your tailbone and knock the wind out of yourself with your own knee to the chest, but you're alive and otherwise uninjured. Once the throbbing in your feet stops and you can breathe well enough to stop your eyes from watering, you walk over to the edge of the amber cube. It's not a cube though; it's sort of a flat topped pyramid; or more correctly a prism: the top is flat, as is the bottom, but the sides slope out slightly. There are things coming out of the sides of the cube, dark spikes or nodules, the tips of limbs or feelers or protuberances of whatever is inside the thing.

Still filming.

Get my flashlight out, then stand up and back up a few meters as well. Point the flashlight beam down the hall, and wait for the smoke to clear. Engage any exoskeletons that emerge from the smoke or otherwise come into melee range, if any.
Glance back the way we came once or twice while waiting, just in case the exoskeletons up near the elevator are coming at us, too.

Get up and ready snapper again. Back away from the door several meters.
The smoke hangs heavy in the confined hallway, but eventually enough of it clears to reveal the remains of the exoskeletons. One or two are still moving, though weakly, and seemly without enough force to get out of the tangled wreckage of their companions. They just sat there, limbs working weakly, grasping at the air or grinding across the metal floor. The hum and click of their actuators echoed in the blast damaged hall.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 12, 2014, 09:44:50 pm »

Head over to the other closed door. Baring any other sounds, see if this door will open, as well.

If the door doesn't open, place an ear against it and rap on the metal with my knuckles. Then go back up the stairs and do the same for the door I cut a hole into. And again, with one of the three rooms that I know have no water in them. Finally, go back down to the sealed door and check the sound again. Repeat either until I'm sure whether the room/hallway on the other side is full of water or air, or until I decide that this method doesn't work.

If I'm sure that the other side of the sealed door is air, cut some more improvised welding implements out of the lab door, just in case, and then cut through the sealed door.

If I think the other side of the sealed door is full of water, or I can't tell from the above method, cautiously proceed down the dark hallway, avoiding the still-active exoskeletons and bewaring of possum-like behavior. Flashlight out, of course.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 15, 2014, 06:44:20 pm »

Check my gear to see how it took the fall. See if there is anything else interesting that I can see in the room. If I think I can get down the side of the prism, do it, and avoid touching the black nubs if at all possible.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2014, 10:32:00 am »

Head over to the other closed door. Baring any other sounds, see if this door will open, as well.

If the door doesn't open, place an ear against it and rap on the metal with my knuckles. Then go back up the stairs and do the same for the door I cut a hole into. And again, with one of the three rooms that I know have no water in them. Finally, go back down to the sealed door and check the sound again. Repeat either until I'm sure whether the room/hallway on the other side is full of water or air, or until I decide that this method doesn't work.

If I'm sure that the other side of the sealed door is air, cut some more improvised welding implements out of the lab door, just in case, and then cut through the sealed door.

If I think the other side of the sealed door is full of water, or I can't tell from the above method, cautiously proceed down the dark hallway, avoiding the still-active exoskeletons and bewaring of possum-like behavior. Flashlight out, of course.

You walk over to the other door and tap on it cautiously. It rings hollowly. You head back upstairs and tap on the flooded door. It thuds dully. Hmm. Then you go back down and tap on the door to the laboratory after closing it. It rings hollowly, but oddly you can hear an echo as well, where the first door had no echo. Hm.

Oh look, a shiny thing! You spend several seconds chasing the reflection off your own gun around the room.

Check my gear to see how it took the fall. See if there is anything else interesting that I can see in the room. If I think I can get down the side of the prism, do it, and avoid touching the black nubs if at all possible.

Your gear seems to have survived, as far as you can tell. There's nothing thats obviously broken, at the very least.

As per other interesting things; there are what look like mechanical crane arms hanging from the ceiling around the amber cube prism thing. But they're all pretty far back; you can't reach them from here. In fact, you don't see anyway of physically getting up to them. They must be controlled by something down on the ground. Beyond that, there are some structures down on the ground floor and embedded in the sloping walls of the room around the prism, but it's fairly bare in here. There are what look like some form of tunnels or exit passages that you can see, though they might also just lead to more rooms down here. It's reasonable to think that there has to be some sort of way back up...but then again "Reasonable" doesn't seem to hold much sway around here.

You think you might be able to, by sliding down, but it's quite steep and it ends in a hard stop on metal by the look of it. You figure you might want to try and figure out a way to stop or at least slow yourself before you take the alien funslide down to leg break town.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 28, 2014, 08:31:43 pm »

((Could've sworn I had responded to this already. Oh well.))

Focus, Ben! Cut those welding implements out of the lab door, then cut through the closed door.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 85