Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31

Author Topic: Habit RPG  (Read 38163 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Habit RPG
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2014, 05:10:51 pm »

Huzzah! I've finally tamed my flying pig, now I can ride it to glory and death!
Is it a shade flying pig?
It is a desert flying pig.
But a shade one sounds awesome and I totally should get one.
the shade flying pig belongs to me
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #316 on: August 14, 2014, 02:57:16 am »

My participation is entirely contingent on writing the game in Ruby on Rails, since that is what I know and I don’t have time to learn a new language or framework.

Regarding number 2, the problem I see with doing things on the clientside is that people could cheat, but I don’t know if that’s important for this kind of game. It’s not necessary, at least, because it’s possible to use WebSockets to push notifications down to the client.

The next step to take is to describe in detail our minimum viable product. What is the minimum features we need to have to make this start to be useful? Things can be added on later, and it’ll be more motivating to have a handful of core features to work toward than a huge ball of features, as it’ll be easier to feel like progress is made. That doesn’t mean we won’t implement all the features we want; we’re just deciding on the fewest features we need to get this thing out the door.

It’s going to need task tracking as simple as a todo list, punishment for not completing a task, and reward for completing them at the very least. I’d like to add group stuff to the MVP too, since I think that’s a core feature. Maybe the MVP should include some kind of party system where damage and reward is spread out over the entire party. That way it wouldn’t be necessary to implement quests in the MVP, but you still get the accountability.

Let me know what you think.

I agree that a MVP is a good start. Cheating shouldn't be something we need to worry about, since the entire thing is honors-system based anyway. People can lie all they want to get better stuff, so we just have to assume that the users want to use the program correctly (otherwise they won't get a benefit from it anyway).

I think the minimum that we need includes:

-The task system -- I agree that HRPG does this pretty well. Separate lists for habits, dailies, and to-do, carrying over the rewards and consequences. We should take care that the dailies actually do give an increase in reward over time. As it's coded now, you get a streak bonus, but the value of the task also decreases automatically the more blue it gets, so in the end, you get slightly less reward each day. You should be getting slightly more reward in this case.

-Rewards. I like the equipment system, although it could use some tweaking. The pets are not necessary to start with. I would also say that instead of a rigid class system, it should be possible for users to "buy" new skills as their attributes allow. So each level, the user gets a stat point to be allotted. Depending on how high the stats are, new skills could become available, as well as new equipment. Right now, there's not enough equipment available, and it's too easy to max out very quickly and have nothing left to buy. I think it should be possible to buy whatever you want, provided your stats allow for it, so someone who maxes out on INT stuff can start boosting their strength instead, etc. There would have to be limits, but that needs to be discussed in detail.

-Groups and quests. This is a very important aspect of the site which has been heavily neglected by HRPG. There needs to be a method of communication within a group (IRC chat plus private message system or else a bulletin board). Quests need to work so that everyone is responsible, but also able to protect themselves against slacking teammates (ie constitution MUST count against quest monsters, should be possible to remove unhelpful party members easily, etc.). Quests could be available for cash purchase, but they should also (rarely) drop randomly as loot or be awarded at level-up. I also like the idea of there being group consequences (and bonuses) even when you're not on a quest, however I don't know if that needs to be in the MVP.

-The community in general also needs to be able to communicate. I'd advocate a bulletin board system, divided into categories for discussion, so that like-minded people can find each other, people can find groups, and there is a sense of community in general. If it's a "single-player" experience, there's less drive to continue playing once the initial rush wears off. I don't see any need for a chat room.

I think that's it for a start. Eventually I'd like to see pets, maybe player houses, or at least group houses that can be upgraded over time, etc.

How many people are actually interested in doing this? Should we start a thread in the Creative Projects forum? I'm happy to contribute however I'm able. I am slowly learning to code, and would need help at first, but I'll get there. I could also help with graphics and overall organization.

In other news, the hedgebeast is deadcalmed down and has offered up a sacrifice of her children as a reward! Who knew that hedgehogs hatched from eggs? Now we need to decide which quest to take on next. Should we grab us some gryphons? Or should we go for the new Dish Disaster questline? Cast your votes in the party window (let's keep it all in one place) and we'll start soon!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 14, 2014, 10:21:08 am »

bosses

I still think that the best way to handle boss attacks would be party-wide debuffs, with the severity of the debuff depending on how much the party was slacking.

For example, one boss might reduce the party's Dexterity by (Party damage taken that day / 2), another one might drain mana, and a third might restore its own health. Giving each boss multiple abilities would be even better.

Also, Lv. 10 is way too long to wait for a class. I don't really see much of a point in delaying it until then. All classes should be available immediately, or at Lv. 3. There should be more skills, and you should be able to buy them with SP or something.

Finally, equipment. Right now, equipment is a flat stat boost. That's ridiculously boring. Even Final Fantasy I, a game from almost two decades ago, had gear with special effects. Effects could be stat boosts, yes, but they could also be defence boosts, attack boosts, bonus damage vs. certain types of enemies, et cetera.

Also, I agree that pets are pointless. It would be better if random drops were gear, consumable buff items, or maybe a few eggs that hatched into pets that actually did things. Eggs should require the completion of habits/dailies/to-dos in order to hatch.

As for what pets could actually do, maybe they could attack bosses and/or cast buff spells?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:24:27 am by Elephant Parade »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2014, 02:12:42 pm »

I'm terribly sorry if I'm causing damage, my internet has gone so terrible I can't even load the site, and I'm not sure if the app is syncing properly. Hopefully it'll get cleared up over the weekend.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 19, 2014, 12:52:00 am »

Shade Hatching Potion + Flying Pig Egg = Flying Death Pig fuck yeah.

(Have not forgotten about the HabitRPG clone project. I realize I’ll have to be the momentum behind the project.)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 19, 2014, 12:55:59 am »

If you guys need a writer for your project, I'm game. Maybe it'll push me to work more on my own game, too.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 19, 2014, 02:40:02 am »

Just joined the site, seems okay so far. Only problem is the three ads I get are for lingerie, christian singles dating and another dating website. Not exactly something I'm going to click on, and the ads don't make the website endearing but I guess they need money somehow.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #322 on: August 19, 2014, 02:42:48 am »

Just joined the site, seems okay so far. Only problem is the three ads I get are for lingerie, christian singles dating and another dating website. Not exactly something I'm going to click on, and the ads don't make the website endearing but I guess they need money somehow.

Ads? Where are you seeing ads? I haven't seen any...

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 19, 2014, 02:48:14 am »

Under the habits, dailies and to do sections.

Edit: It  says to subscribe to remove them.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #324 on: August 19, 2014, 02:48:53 am »

After disabling Adblock, I was shown ads for astrology, Asian women who are apparently only interested in Australian men, and... family trees?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #325 on: August 19, 2014, 03:35:07 am »

Huh. Chrome must be blocking the automatically for me. I've never seen any ads. I bought some gems, so I don't feel at all guilty about that.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:26 am »

Adblock Edge for the win!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 19, 2014, 08:46:25 am »

I kinda feel a bit... Justified in my previous opinions about this recently. I eventually found I couldn't take the damn thing seriously and keep using it.

Deep down I think I just need something more like a to-do list/whiteboard I can easily switch to, and add items and messages to while browsing around. Not... This whatever it is.

Oh well.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 19, 2014, 08:52:55 am »

Yes, taking it seriously has been a problem for me, so I understand that. Now that I’m part of a party, though, the accountability seems to be working okay.

If you need just a web-based to-do list, Wunderlist might serve. I’m not familiar with any online whiteboarding applications, but it should definitely be a thing if it isn’t.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 19, 2014, 08:56:46 am »

And the thing is, I'd just use physical versions of these normally. But I've found I'm so digitally focused these days that it's easier to pay attention to a monitor/screen than anything more physical. Like way easier.

Give me a paper book and Ill take weeks to finish it. Give me an ebook or transcript of the same book I can look at on my laptop and I can likely finish it in a pair of afternoons.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31