Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: Habit RPG  (Read 38124 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Habit RPG
« Reply #330 on: August 20, 2014, 01:39:23 am »

I don't think the list is the point. The point is the loot and xp and progression. Why do many of us find it easy to do boring and monotonous tasks in a MMO but not in real life? Because in the MMO you get easy, constant, visible, persistent, instant rewards for doing it. Yes it sucks that you can't just do your chores without complaint and on time simply because you know should. If the difference is between not doing them or playing "silly" motivational games with your own mind in order to wheedle yourself into doing them, the second option is probably better. Unless using the second option makes you feel too silly.

* I'm not actually using the site myself, btw.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 20, 2014, 01:47:56 am »

The awesome turtle that only has a few HP but is practically immune to physical attacks is correct.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #332 on: August 20, 2014, 04:44:01 am »

Yes, exactly. We're programmed to get a rush of endorphins when we see a tangible result from our actions. It's easy to get sucked in to a video game, where such rewards are constant and it's easy to see an immediate result from everything we do. This site just takes that and applies it to real life. It's easy to say "we should do it just because we know we should do it," but that's not how human brains work. If nothing depends on the action (ie, we have to eat to survive, but a pile of clothes on the floor isn't going to physically hurt us) and there's no psychological reward for doing it, most people will procrastinate. It's simply in our nature to take the easiest course, conserving energy except when there's a tangible and immediate motivation to do something. People who overcome this and live a disciplined life (without being forced to) are the exception rather than the rule. I don't see anything wrong with tricking my brain into getting stuff done.

To be honest, I probably would have given up on this site a long time ago if it wasn't for the quests. I need that accountability and the goal of defeating an enemy. Without a goal, the points are meaningless, and the novelty of the little popups wears off quickly. I've already bought everything I can buy, and gold is now utterly useless. The only things worth buying are locked behind a paywall, which really irritates me, since they are obviously earning loads of money with their 30k daily users, but are horribly managing the site and the server. I am definitely interested in making a clone of this: maybe we can make a thread in the Creative forum and see how much interest we can get going.

As of now, I have 4 gems left, enough to buy one more quest. After that, my continued participation on the site will probably depend on other people getting quests, since I have no intention of giving them any more money. Otherwise, I may hand off leadership of the party and guild (which turns out to be useless!) to someone else, unless we can think of another way to make the site goal-oriented within our group, despite the limitations of the site itself.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 20, 2014, 10:54:00 pm »

I have a quest I'm willing to fire off in the name of Bay12. Which is odd, because I refuse to spend money on this. If I were to spend money on anything like this (which I am probably not going to,) it'd be to fund your clone/fork.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 20, 2014, 10:56:33 pm »

I'll pitch in to get some quests when I get home.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 20, 2014, 11:33:52 pm »

I have a few gems I am willing to put towards some quest scrolls as well.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #336 on: August 21, 2014, 03:19:52 am »

Well we still have 2 more quests to get through before we need to buy anymore, so no rush. Still waiting on a few people to accept the current one so we can start (24-hour warning, guys). After this one, I've got the "Free yourself from the dragon's influence" one we can do. And then we'll need more.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 21, 2014, 01:21:18 pm »

So something bugged out. All the first letters and some random ones are missing from every word on every of the game pages. What the hell is going on!?!?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #338 on: August 21, 2014, 01:25:06 pm »

Refresh. I occasionally get every party member replace with Lovecraftian monstrosities.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 21, 2014, 01:32:24 pm »

Refreshed a dozen times and even restarted Firefox, nothing changed :S
AS - IG

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2014, 01:35:19 pm »

Huh. No idea, working fine for me.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2014, 02:34:59 pm »

That's an odd glitch. Looks fine to me... Have you tried a different browser?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 21, 2014, 05:55:16 pm »

Also, try pressing ctrl+shift+k and checking for errors in the console. Sounds like it might be some kind of CSS shenanigans.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »

Figured it out, the console said something about allowed links or whatnot and I figured it might be something to do with Adblock. Turned that off and the page loaded just fine :S
AS - IG

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2014, 06:15:04 pm »

So how'n the hell do I put these gems in the guild bank thingo?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31