Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56421 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Feedback needed
« Reply #315 on: August 06, 2014, 05:39:33 pm »

Ah, Canada is taken. That is depressing. And Wales is not a thing? Hm... Is it okay if your last name is not a last name from that country? I'd say General Lloyd from Norway, my grandmother's country, if that's okay.

EDIT: Also,

As for the poster, sadly our media is on the same mission to strike fear into the public in order to sell advertisements at commercials. Politicians, always eager to put their name on any sort of legislation so they can increase their chances of exposure=votes, they crank out new laws against guns everytime the media refers to a shotgun as an assault rifle or a semi-auto rifle with a 5 round magazine as a machine gun, a semi-auto pistol becomes an automatic handgun(when they invariably show a youtube video of someone shooting a full auto Glock, smiling and laughing out of context as if he is a madman). People don't read newspapers anymore, so they don't fact check anything. They also don't have attention spans, so they watch the teasers for stories and then change the channel to The Big Bang Theory(their science education) and assume they have the full story, which they will repeat at work the next day with their own embellishments. Yay for us!

God I love you Hemmingjay.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:46:05 pm by Glloyd »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2014, 05:40:55 pm »

Sanregret for France. Richards for some place preferably warm and tropical.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2014, 07:10:36 pm »

Is your last name really "without regrets"? You can have either if you wish.

Glloyd, that is fine. Generals are not required to originally be from the country in which they serve. In fact, it works almost better for the game, since who is more likely to be corrupt and buy and sell on the black market, a child of the nation or a foreigner with a grudge?   In response to "God I love you Hemmingjay." The feeling is mutual. It truly is. I love you guys without exception and do anything I can to return the gift of friendship you all have provided for me. This is my home more than any geographic location, for I've been here longer than any physical location.

and now for some SAD NEWS, it seems our Alpha test is delayed a bit. Our special build for you all is currently experiencing a new issue, where the countries are not labelled correctly. Example, Turkey is labelled as Uruguay. All were wrong except Brazil, which by TOTAL LUCK was correct. Even a broken clock, as the expression goes.

Go home map, you're drunk.

Look for it anytime overnight, I will post a link to dropbox here. and will let anyone who wants to try it out. I only ask that you send me the file I request to my email or provide me with a link. It's so we can track economic performance globally in your game.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2014, 07:21:53 pm »

Glloyd, that is fine. Generals are not required to originally be from the country in which they serve. In fact, it works almost better for the game, since who is more likely to be corrupt and buy and sell on the black market, a child of the nation or a foreigner with a grudge?   In response to "God I love you Hemmingjay." The feeling is mutual. It truly is. I love you guys without exception and do anything I can to return the gift of friendship you all have provided for me. This is my home more than any geographic location, for I've been here longer than any physical location.

Awesome, that makes a lot of sense. Hemmingjay, I really respect you. I'd just like to let you know that.

Look for it anytime overnight, I will post a link to dropbox here. and will let anyone who wants to try it out. I only ask that you send me the file I request to my email or provide me with a link. It's so we can track economic performance globally in your game.

Wooh! Can't wait to take a stab at it.

Wardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2014, 07:36:37 pm »

Now I am FILLED with useless historical data and nearly lost stories about the basement development of classic weapons, homeade contraptions, legends of weapon design and the backroom deals that caused inferior weapons to be selected for government contracts at a rate of approximately 90% according to my research.

Mr. Hemmingjay, a bit off-topic but this intrigues me and I wonder if you have any insight on it.

Some weapons allegedly conceived to supersede a costlier design never succeeded in superseding anything at all.

Some examples from WW2:

1. The M3 SMG "Grease Gun" versus the Tommy gun. It never came even close to the number of Tommies produced until the end of WW2. It's apparently a simpler design, supposedly cheaper to manufacture, and yet it became a little odd parallel gun, never a replacement for the Tommy.

2. The MG42 versus the MG34. Again it looks like a simpler design on paper, yet the MG34 remained in production and the MG42 never superseded it in numbers produced.

3. PPS-43 versus PPsh-41. You know the drill by now. A seemingly simpler and allegedly cheaper design that doesn't get produced in numbers even close to superseding its supposedly outdated, inferior and costlier predecessor.

Any clues?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2014, 08:08:03 pm »

Wife's maiden name is Sanregret. It is the worst last name for a person ever. We have pulled forward at a drive through after ordering a cheese burger and she has turned to me and said "I wish I would have gotten chicken nuggets." For her "Instant" would have been more appropriate than "Sans"

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 06, 2014, 08:13:42 pm »

Now I am FILLED with useless historical data and nearly lost stories about the basement development of classic weapons, homeade contraptions, legends of weapon design and the backroom deals that caused inferior weapons to be selected for government contracts at a rate of approximately 90% according to my research.

Mr. Hemmingjay, a bit off-topic but this intrigues me and I wonder if you have any insight on it.

Some weapons allegedly conceived to supersede a costlier design never succeeded in superseding anything at all.

Some examples from WW2:

1. The M3 SMG "Grease Gun" versus the Tommy gun. It never came even close to the number of Tommies produced until the end of WW2. It's apparently a simpler design, supposedly cheaper to manufacture, and yet it became a little odd parallel gun, never a replacement for the Tommy.

2. The MG42 versus the MG34. Again it looks like a simpler design on paper, yet the MG34 remained in production and the MG42 never superseded it in numbers produced.

3. PPS-43 versus PPsh-41. You know the drill by now. A seemingly simpler and allegedly cheaper design that doesn't get produced in numbers even close to superseding its supposedly outdated, inferior and costlier predecessor.

Any clues?

I don't have a reasonable answer for you but if I give you a 30 meter yacht and leave this briefcase of cash on the table, will you agree that I was right even though I didn't answer you?

There's your answer. Every time. Every country.

EDIT: Below me, Glloyd is correct in wartime. Although, in the beginning of almost every mid century conflict, nations switched to stamped receivers instead of milled. Because it is much faster and cheaper to stamp them on an assembly line than have them hand milled by trained craftsmen who were needed on the battlefield.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:19:57 pm by hemmingjay »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2014, 08:15:02 pm »

Some examples from WW2:

Any clues?

I can potentially shine some light on it. As for the grease gun, I'm not too sure, but for the PPS-43 the case is a matter of retooling the factories. The USSR had been pumping out oodles of 41's since they moved their production over the Urals. When the new design came through the pipeline, retooling the factories would slash production heavily for months, something the USSR couldn't afford at a time when they were finally making gains against the Wehrmacht.

Similar story with the 42. By that point in the war, Germany's industrial capacity was starting to get stretched thin, and hammered by bombers. Retooling the factories to produce 42's would have taken vital factories out of production.

As someone who has done fabrication work, it's not as simple as "today, we shall make some MG 42's instead". New dies need to be cast, new molds made, people trained in the assembly, new testing standards need to be drawn up, etc. When your industrial base is under as much stress as the USSR's and Germany's were, it's more prudent and more effective to go on producing what you already were, instead of switching production over to something new. Hope that helps.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 06, 2014, 08:17:02 pm »

Wife's maiden name is Sanregret. It is the worst last name for a person ever. We have pulled forward at a drive through after ordering a cheese burger and she has turned to me and said "I wish I would have gotten chicken nuggets." For her "Instant" would have been more appropriate than "Sans"

Hahahah, romance and wordplay go well together. My last name is Huskie, which is a euphemism for a little chubby or fat. I dated a girl who was previously married to a man named Stout. Her maiden name was Wait. She lost "wait" and became "Stout". If she married me, she would have just been "Huskie". You can't make up stuff like that.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 07, 2014, 03:39:45 am »

For the general stuff, I'm taking Poland. :P
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 07, 2014, 04:23:27 am »

Sorry to hear about the Alpha issues, dude! Still looking forward to playing!

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 07, 2014, 04:29:19 am »

Is Iceland available? I saw Germany was taken.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:51:48 pm by Nienhaus »

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2014, 04:35:52 am »

General Stübi fro switzerland, if it's avaible!

My lastname in a game, I could die happy. It does not actually mean anything afaik tough, so sorry about that.

On an unrelated note, reading this thread I was prompted to check out the gun dad has lying around from his military time (You keep the gun after your service, here in switzerland). It's probably useless, but it prompted me to look up some stuff and it's literally scary how much there is to know about weaponry. I think I will like this game and recommend it to some of my buddies who are into this stuff.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 07, 2014, 05:02:57 am »

Israel for me, please.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2014, 05:24:46 am »

General MacGinty for Ireland, please.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:31:19 am by Fniff »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40