Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56387 times)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Feedback needed
« Reply #345 on: August 08, 2014, 10:01:44 am »

Maybe just have like the edge of a TV screen around the viewing square? To emulate you using some kind of handheld or tabletop gadget with which you conduct your transactions etc.?

Navigating the map feels nice and clean, I'm not sold on the 'grainy' effect on the countries (they all look sandy...) but I do quite like the way the 'zoom' isn't a smooth gradual zoom but done in stages. It feels like a satellite in a movie, and I could imagine an accompanying mechanical whirring sound (I haven't played with the sound on yet, can't find my headphones) as you transition to each zoom level. I'd perhaps like another zoom level or two, it would be nice to get down to an 'almost' aerial level - but that would likely take a load more work than is worthwhile at the moment!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 08, 2014, 10:08:33 am »

Good feedback! Sound is not enabled other than music at this time. Our Grammy Award winning sound designer is still busy in the studio. I hope.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 08, 2014, 10:26:20 am »

A few more observations (alt-tabbing currently!)...

1) Could the compass be made a quite bit smaller? It can be a little distracting at its current size.

2) It's only my preference, but would there be an option to change the transparency of the pop-up windows? As the game pauses when you have one open, you don't really need to see the world beneath - might be nice to have a few options to choose from or a slider of some sort? Equally, they could probably be made a little smaller as there doesn't (currently) look to be a great deal of information displayed in some of the tabs!

3) I love the UI colours as they are, blue and black go so well together!

4) I love reading the description of each weapon - further suggestion below!

5) Any chance of having an icon on the main world map to show where you currently are? The red blob on the minimap can be a little too large to cover the much smaller countries!

6) When clicking on the black outside the world map, you currently select countries that would be underneath it. Is there any way of 'blocking' these off and perhaps being able to click on things like the news reports or the Agency/Peace Keepers/Bounty Hunters bars for more information on those organisations etc.?

These are more later feature suggestions - you probably already have most of this planned or legitimate reasons for not going with them (cost of implementation, time, technology etc)!

1) Will there be a screen you can click on to show your character's current progress? Perhaps even things to spend some of your hard earned money on that also impact the world? Charity donations to reduce heat or improve image, legitimate companies that provide a steady stream of cash, shell companies you can use to launder money (again, perhaps to reduce heat), homes or bases you can buy in different parts of the world to slowly increase your knowledge of that part of the world over time etc. etc.?

2) Are you planning on letting the player research, develop and manufacture their own weaponry and go into direct competition with current suppliers? Maybe with some form of  base building and hiring screen, headhunting the best and brightest researchers and engineers from across the globe etc.? Maybe even allowing the player to buy and staff a private army that can be loaned to countries to assist them in their wars or to help them start one? The army could even be used to incite wars by setting their 'style' to that of a particular country, and then conducting operations in another country - with a weighted chance (depending on development/research/reputation/ability) of that country declaring war on the one you're impersonating, or realising it's you and dramatically lowering your reputation etc.

3) The weapon descriptions are cool, and obviously you'll have 2D pictures or 3D models in the future - but would there be a way to have a button that you press to make a larger window pop up, with information on the weapon, some history perhaps, and a larger version of the picture or model (maybe with the latter rotatable?)...?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:35:50 am by Kaje »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 08, 2014, 10:42:59 am »

1) Compass modifications are already underway.

2) Transparency options for menus are also in the next build actually. I believe the code is written , just waiting on the button to be made.

3) Thanks, our Art Director did a lot of research based off of my suggestions which used Uplink and the movie Prometheus's computers as the examples(he nailed it)

4) Thanks. I could write a book on each!

5) Already in the works, (there is a green plane right now, but it doesn't work. The country color also changes to the color of the UI(blue) but it looks like ocean. Needs to be changed as well

----

1) A progress screen is being designed. There are ways to reduce heat by spending money and bribing people to get better deals, etc. There will also be a collection screen to show all of the weapons you have collected. No plans to be able to buy houses or stuff. Originally wanted it, but it started to take away from the actual game design. We revisit it occasionally, but it always ends up feeling disjointed when we apply it.

2) Research, design, production, military contracts, civilian variants that comply with ever changing laws, etc is actually the basis of the sequel that is in pre-production by my other team right now, called Weapon Factory Tycoon. I expect it to outsell this game 3:1     It will have you research individual components (trigger, grip, bolt, receiver, barrel, shroud, stock, frame, accessories, etc, then assemble them in 3D with each component adding values to the finished weapon. Complex designs take more time to develop, more money to make and research and if shortcuts are made, unreliable weapons will result. Conversely, being super safe means not being able to make a profit and losing millions in development and unsold overpriced inventory. You will submit designs to competitions for new military issue contracts and will see them being tested against AI competitor created weapons. That is my dream game and people in the industry are going nuts over it when I tell them. I have been offered an obscene amount of money to develop it for another developer, but I declined. Arms Dealer will fund it. I will make it right.

3) This is planned as a DLC after release. If I sell 30K copies the DLC will be released for $1.99    If I sell 100k copies it will be released for free.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 08, 2014, 11:09:58 am »

Further investigation in my Transactions tab showed that they were shipped to Honduras, who bought all 50 AKSU units for $1...not each...just $1...was that something *I* did wrong?

Arms Dealer realistically portrays a vision of the future where fluctuation have caused a shipment of assault rifles to be valued at $1, whereas an ounce of potatoes now costs 5 Grand.

I hope that nothing bad has befallen your programmer. Is he in the part of the country currently effected by Tropical Storms?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 08, 2014, 11:19:24 am »

nope.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 08, 2014, 11:51:41 am »

Super responses, Hemmingjay! Thanks, bud - I'm looking forward to the sequel now, too!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 08, 2014, 12:04:51 pm »

I love questions, it provokes true innovative thought. Everything you ask makes me think of something new or an innovation on something old.

My programmer has returned! He fell asleep on the job after working crazy hours for me, so all is fine.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 08, 2014, 01:05:41 pm »

Awesome, I'm always asking questions. It goes with being an atheist law student, I think!

Thank feck for that! I was about to fund a search party!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 08, 2014, 04:06:56 pm »

Awesome, I can't wait to check this out later tonight when I have a chance to download it!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 08, 2014, 04:52:12 pm »

Don't get too excited, it's fairly limited. Just testing the basics right now. I am posting a new build in a few hours, fixing that nasty bug that Kaje found.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 08, 2014, 05:00:51 pm »

Happy to be of service, dude!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 08, 2014, 05:16:59 pm »

Good news! I may have found the much needed second 3d modeler for the next game! Now all I need is a master Unity programmer. I am also hiring a small already formed team to make a third game, a true indie, not a big commercial game. I have six other games fully designed and waiting for development and money.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 08, 2014, 05:31:35 pm »

Awesome news! What are your third, fourth, fifth and sixth games (just basic descriptions, or PM me if you'd prefer!) - awfully exciting stuff!

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 08, 2014, 05:31:48 pm »

Hemmingjay, can I steal some of your ambition? You have too much! DAMN YOOUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

In other news. I downloaded the game, but when I got into the first menu, the travel one, the game wouldn't let me click out of it or click anything for that matter. I deleted it and redownloaded and it worked fine then. Don't know what was wrong with it.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40