Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56419 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Feedback needed
« Reply #285 on: August 05, 2014, 09:07:57 am »

Bit of a weird question, but do you think this game could be fun for someone who doesn't really like guns?  The idea of playing an arms dealer sounds cool, but I'd rather spend my time brokering trade deals and worrying about the political ramifications of my actions than learning that the AK-9684 has a 3.21% faster rate of fire but ever so slightly more recoil than its smaller counterpart, the JK-9683.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 05, 2014, 09:34:30 am »

Bit of a weird question, but do you think this game could be fun for someone who doesn't really like guns?  The idea of playing an arms dealer sounds cool, but I'd rather spend my time brokering trade deals and worrying about the political ramifications of my actions than learning that the AK-9684 has a 3.21% faster rate of fire but ever so slightly more recoil than its smaller counterpart, the JK-9683.

I imagine it would be just as fun for someone who doesn't really like guns, guns are merely the (highly detailed) product being sold for profit. I don't particularly like or know anything about drugs, but I lost hours upon hours to Dope Wars!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 05, 2014, 09:46:28 am »

No knowledge of guns is necessary. The game gives you the very basic info needed to trade the weapons which is the class and it's efficiency rating. You can even ignore the rating if you don't care about the potential outcome of any conflicts your customers enter. The focus of the game is on balancing relationships, evading and countering law enforcement and trying to maximize profitability. You can focus on just one of those elements if you wish to keep things simple, or if you are a true maestro, you can attempt to master all elements.

Further, on the Easy and Normal difficulties, the game pauses while in menus, allowing you to take your time and calculate decisions. On Hard and Ultimate the game never pauses and you must make rapid decisions, often juggling multiple shipments at the same time plus countering agencies that are closing in on you and managing alliances and fueds with competing arms dealers. It's quite hectic on those settings and is for those who like a true challenge.

I have been working quite hard to create a game where you can keep things as simple or complex as you wish. If I am half successful it should be a great game.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 05, 2014, 10:23:02 am »

Alright, well you've just made one sale at least :p

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 05, 2014, 12:19:01 pm »

I appreciate the vote of confidence but I don't want you to go into a purchase blind. I will make sure you get to play it before then. If I could trust all gamers to be honest I would want everyone to have full access to the game before deciding to buy or not, but too many people are opportunist it seems. Still, I plan to offer a refund.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 05, 2014, 12:29:10 pm »

Just to chime in that in glancing over the screenshots so far the design looks nice.  Dark, blue, and future-y.  I concur that it reminds me of Uplink, and in a good way.  Maybe a bit of Frozen Synapse as well. 

I wish I had the time to help out with testing, but I'm pretty much all but waiting to throw money at my screen to help a Bay12 developer. 

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 05, 2014, 02:12:49 pm »

On Hard and Ultimate the game never pauses and you must make rapid decisions, often juggling multiple shipments at the same time plus countering agencies that are closing in on you and managing alliances and fueds with competing arms dealers. It's quite hectic on those settings and is for those who like a true challenge.

No pausing will probably keep me from playing those difficulties to be honest (note: I usually play games on Normal anyways, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :) ), but I'm sure some people will like it. Thought about putting it into an ironman mode instead?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 05, 2014, 02:15:17 pm »

On Hard and Ultimate the game never pauses and you must make rapid decisions, often juggling multiple shipments at the same time plus countering agencies that are closing in on you and managing alliances and fueds with competing arms dealers. It's quite hectic on those settings and is for those who like a true challenge.

No pausing will probably keep me from playing those difficulties to be honest (note: I usually play games on Normal anyways, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :) ), but I'm sure some people will like it. Thought about putting it into an ironman mode instead?

Wait... like literal "No pauses" and not like "The action never stops, you will never have a few rounds of breathing room"?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 05, 2014, 02:17:48 pm »

Seconding the request to make that an optional toggle.  Depending on how hard the game is, people might want to try normal (or even easy) difficulty in realtime.

If you need testers let me know on here or drop me a message on Steam.  A quick glance at my most played games will show my preference for the strategic :)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 05, 2014, 04:44:22 pm »

Let's test your knowledge of Russian weapons

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pj9gsjqozc1ud93/AADwLlEl8IA_-TaoqC2kTjHUa

Can you name them 1-8?

1. KSVK 12.7 [Anti-material rifle].
2. APS [Underwater rifle].
3. Scorpion.
4. AKS-74
5. SKS
6. RPK-74
7. AKMSU
8. Mosin–Nagant M91/30 PU Sniper
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:56:03 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 05, 2014, 08:41:00 pm »

Seconding the request to make that an optional toggle.  Depending on how hard the game is, people might want to try normal (or even easy) difficulty in realtime.

If you need testers let me know on here or drop me a message on Steam.  A quick glance at my most played games will show my preference for the strategic :)

Hard mode is essentially Normal mode but in realtime. The next difficulty up from that is the same but profit margins are reduced, law enforcement is more effective and opposing arms dealers are less likely to work with you. For the Sandbox mode of the game(available after you beat the game on Normal), you will be able to select Realtime mode along with many other options to create a truly customizable game. Also, due to popular demand, we are going to include an option for a "flat" map instead of the satellite version with terrain. It won't be in the Alpha, but it should be in shortly after.

Speaking of the Alpha, it probably won't be available until around this time tomorrow. We are dealing with a nasty little issue regarding country borders. The Alpha should have roughly 1/2-2/3 of the countries and 1/3-1/2 of the weapons. This is a very simple build just to test buying, shipping and selling. I designed a new manifest screen that we will be testing, so I am eager to see it play out.

The13thRonin was the closest, missing just one weapon. #3 isn't a Skorpion. As someone else pointed out earlier, it is an SR-3 Vikhr (Not the M, which would make it almost an AS Val).  Russian weapons are pretty easy because they are in many movies, games and 1/3 of the world due to corruption and cheap production. This game will be harder with some of the more obscure Czech, Swiss or Israeli weapons. In case you missed the announcement, Spain and Sweden were replaced because they only have around 15 interesting weapons each and I needed at least 24 for each origin country. There is also an unaffiliated black market dealer who caries other random  selections and is the only dealer who will provide weapons to an Arms Dealer who supplies the "banned" nations. If you are caught selling US weapons to North Korea for example, you run the risk of being banned from purchasing from NATO supply countries US, UK, Germany, Israel, COMAX nations are Russia, Czech(I know they are NATO, but in the game they have joined a new alliance in 2019)China and Neutral Suppliers are Italy, France, Switzerland. 

Anyway, back to the alpha test.....did you know the companies that provide support for game studios to run actually charge $1200-6500?!?! I will be using a premium Dropbox for a while it seems.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 06, 2014, 01:30:40 am »

Hard mode is essentially Normal mode but in realtime. The next difficulty up from that is the same but profit margins are reduced, law enforcement is more effective and opposing arms dealers are less likely to work with you. For the Sandbox mode of the game(available after you beat the game on Normal), you will be able to select Realtime mode along with many other options to create a truly customizable game. Also, due to popular demand, we are going to include an option for a "flat" map instead of the satellite version with terrain. It won't be in the Alpha, but it should be in shortly after.

Speaking of the Alpha, it probably won't be available until around this time tomorrow. We are dealing with a nasty little issue regarding country borders. The Alpha should have roughly 1/2-2/3 of the countries and 1/3-1/2 of the weapons. This is a very simple build just to test buying, shipping and selling. I designed a new manifest screen that we will be testing, so I am eager to see it play out.

The13thRonin was the closest, missing just one weapon. #3 isn't a Skorpion. As someone else pointed out earlier, it is an SR-3 Vikhr (Not the M, which would make it almost an AS Val).  Russian weapons are pretty easy because they are in many movies, games and 1/3 of the world due to corruption and cheap production. This game will be harder with some of the more obscure Czech, Swiss or Israeli weapons. In case you missed the announcement, Spain and Sweden were replaced because they only have around 15 interesting weapons each and I needed at least 24 for each origin country. There is also an unaffiliated black market dealer who caries other random  selections and is the only dealer who will provide weapons to an Arms Dealer who supplies the "banned" nations. If you are caught selling US weapons to North Korea for example, you run the risk of being banned from purchasing from NATO supply countries US, UK, Germany, Israel, COMAX nations are Russia, Czech(I know they are NATO, but in the game they have joined a new alliance in 2019)China and Neutral Suppliers are Italy, France, Switzerland. 

Anyway, back to the alpha test.....did you know the companies that provide support for game studios to run actually charge $1200-6500?!?! I will be using a premium Dropbox for a while it seems.

I am really super eager to be a tester for this... I hope that I'll have a chance to help out. I think that this is an awesome project and I'm surprised more studios haven't tried to make similar games.

hemmingjay would you take suggestions for other rare, obscure or otherwise unrepresented weapons?

Also I found this amusing, thought I'd share:

Too true... At least here in Australia.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:35:42 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 06, 2014, 05:51:44 am »

Of course, I would love weapon suggestions! Bonus points if it's not on one of my two lists already. I've been lucky enough to serve on six continents and have trained with almost a dozen different nations so my personal weapon knowledge was decent BEFORE I started researching. Now I am FILLED with useless historical data and nearly lost stories about the basement development of classic weapons, homeade contraptions, legends of weapon design and the backroom deals that caused inferior weapons to be selected for government contracts at a rate of approximately 90% according to my research. It's been a wild ride! And I am just getting started since I am working with a firearm engineer on Weapon Factory Tycoon. Now I am submersing myself in the engineering specifications or tensile strengths, barrel threading, trigger weights, sight mounts, grips, receivers, ballistics(at an engineering perspective), and of course explosives of all types and their detonators.

As for the poster, sadly our media is on the same mission to strike fear into the public in order to sell advertisements at commercials. Politicians, always eager to put their name on any sort of legislation so they can increase their chances of exposure=votes, they crank out new laws against guns everytime the media refers to a shotgun as an assault rifle or a semi-auto rifle with a 5 round magazine as a machine gun, a semi-auto pistol becomes an automatic handgun(when they invariably show a youtube video of someone shooting a full auto Glock, smiling and laughing out of context as if he is a madman). People don't read newspapers anymore, so they don't fact check anything. They also don't have attention spans, so they watch the teasers for stories and then change the channel to The Big Bang Theory(their science education) and assume they have the full story, which they will repeat at work the next day with their own embellishments. Yay for us!

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming, Arms Dealer.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 06, 2014, 06:33:35 am »

Forgive the double post, trust me, it's worth it.

Calling all egos! If you want your real last name, or a particular real last name as the name of a general of a nation. There is one general per nation, and as of right now, the only one off the table is the US, which is named for my favorite commanding officer while in the military. First come, first serve. Last name only. If you want you can post the nation here and then PM me the name(with the country as a reminder) for privacy sake.

conciso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 06, 2014, 08:36:17 am »

Oh, I would like to take part on that. You need the full name? Here it goes, anyway: André Luiz Cavalcanti Fernandes Dantas, Brazil.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40