Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56409 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Feedback needed
« Reply #330 on: August 07, 2014, 07:29:56 am »

We have tracked down most of the issues but have two remaining stubborn ones before we can release. For example, we have a ghost ship problem. Private owned cargo planes make the first trip profitably but then stop making money even though they continue to load cargo. Not a fun experience for you, so we will continue to fix it. My programmer needs some sleep though, he put in a 20 hours day, so he deserves it. I sleep 2 hours every 10 hours, so I am on a different schedule and will be around to answer questions in between meetings.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 07, 2014, 07:40:14 am »

You guys definitely deserve some down time! We're not going anywhere! :)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 07, 2014, 07:49:30 am »

Yeah, I guess I'l take General of Slovenia, if that is a nation in the game. If it is, I'l PM the name later.
I also look forward to this, since it does sound pretty interesting.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 07, 2014, 01:17:27 pm »

Sanregret for France. Richards for some place preferably warm and tropical.

Is your last name really "without regrets"? You can have either if you wish.

Wife's maiden name is Sanregret. It is the worst last name for a person ever. We have pulled forward at a drive through after ordering a cheese burger and she has turned to me and said "I wish I would have gotten chicken nuggets." For her "Instant" would have been more appropriate than "Sans"

General Gionet has already staked his claim on France!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 07, 2014, 02:09:37 pm »

Wife's maiden name is Sanregret. It is the worst last name for a person ever. We have pulled forward at a drive through after ordering a cheese burger and she has turned to me and said "I wish I would have gotten chicken nuggets." For her "Instant" would have been more appropriate than "Sans"

* LordSlowpoke grabs crate of guns

getcho boomsticks heaaaaar

there gonna be a war between generals get boomstick now don't get boomsticked later one time deal only

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 07, 2014, 03:36:09 pm »

there gonna be a war between generals get boomstick now don't get boomsticked later one time deal only

General Sanregret buys first.
General Sanregret does not regret his decision.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 07, 2014, 03:46:45 pm »

General Sanregret buys first.
General Sanregret does not regret his decision.

:o
Got anymore of them boomsticks? I should probably buy 2.
Unless any other enterprising individuals have some deals?

Gradiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 07, 2014, 04:00:21 pm »

If possible, I would like General Wolfsberg to be in charge of India.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 08, 2014, 06:27:05 am »

How's the bug hunting going?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 08, 2014, 08:10:44 am »

It seems my programmer cracked under the pressure and went AWOL so the Alpha isn't where I wanted it to be. It only has placeholder graphics(planes/ships, ports, no weapon art, no general pics, country borders/clicking is off a few pixels and I didn't get a chance to put the welcome message and introduction in there.

Instead, copy down or print the following directions for playing:

When you start you are in Albania(for some reason), which you can see in the top right corner of the screen, a red dot on a minimap shows your position.
Your control panel is on the bottom of the screen, click the little arrow in the middle of the screen down there.
Russia and the US are the only suppliers with weapons right now, so click on one of them on the map.
This opens the country menu. Click on the travel submenu on the top. Click on Quick Travel.
It instantly takes you there and displays, you are already there.
On the left hand side of the screen you see some basic info about the country.
We are about to start trading but first, let's look for a trading partner. Normally you will want to look for red countries on the map because they are at war or in a civil war. If there are none, you will have to do some more investigative work and occasionally make some guesses. In this case, Czech Republic is at was with Costa Rica(it's a game!). Click on either one of them and you will see basic information.
Click on the trade tab and pay for the intel. Now you will see what they need and how much they are willing to pay. Make a note or remember what's in demand. Now click on Black umbrella to check on the status of the war. You will see the color bars on the bottom that probably indicate that the Czech Repub has the upper hand. It makes sense, they have a larger economy, population and weapon industry. That doesn't mean they will win the war though. Arms dealers can affect the outcome! Choose a side in this battle or just even things up and keep the war ongoing by switching it up from time to time, just don't get caught supplying both sides.
To trade, click on Buy/Sell on the bottom of the screen. Remember, you are in Russia(top right of the screen to double check).
This opens the buy menu because you are in a supply country. If you were in a normal country, it would say Sell at the top, but would look the same overall.
On the left side of this menu are the various weapon categories. Right now there are few weapons so you will only find items in small arms categories like assault rifles, sniper, submachine gun, and explosives, etc.
Buy a few of one of these weapons, but make sure to leave yourself a couple hundred thousand $$. On the buy menu, when you select a weapon you will see a BUYER space and it should list Czech republic. This is a ability you may acquire in the later game that tells you who the highest paying customer is for that weapon. Now that you have your inventory, close that menu and click on the Travel Planner.
In the early game, you can't really afford to be using private transports purchased from SMUG but right now there is a bug making a 200,000 dollar aircraft hold 100 tons!!! For now, DONT use it and stick to Public transport for the sake of the test. If you are lucky, there is a public ship headed to Czech or Costa Rica in a few minutes. When you click on one you will see which countries it will travel to, you can stop and sell at any of them, or go there and catch another ride somewhere else. For now, select a destination and click on Select Cargo on the right. Now you can see what that country will pay for each unit of your cargo and what you will make for each piece. It's also important to note how much room your selected ship has available to you. Remember, these guys are already hauling cargo and are hiding yours amongst it. Each weapon pallet typically weighs .4-.6 tons, so you might not be able to fit it all on there. Load what you can and then make 2 more decisions before clicking review. On the left you see Travel to ______   and Store in Warehouse. You can travel with your cargo if you want to send it to another location after and if that is your plan, you should also check, store in warehouse so that it isn't sold on arrival. In this example, don't select either, because you want to stay and ship the rest of your inventory. Click REVIEW.
If you are looking at a blank screen, go back one screen. You forgot to click ADD above the number of cargo units(we will be changing this soon). now click review again. Close these menus and watch you money balance on the top of the screen until it changes. Hopefully you didn't select a cargo ship that had 3 minutes until departure. Once your balance goes up you can click on Transactions to see how much you paid, and how much you made on the sale. Hopefully it was a profit. Once you have enough money to buy your own transport and 50 tons of weapons you should go back to SMUG and take the first step towards owning your own fleet! In the final game, this will be less of a catalog and more like an auction. Each vehicle will be unique, have a name and capacity. That's all I really want you to test for now please.

You can also see if supplying one side of the war can help them win/or win faster. Thanks and try to have fun until I can get you the better build.

PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THIS LINK

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7rda74t02exvxs/Arms%20Dealer.7z
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:34:29 am by hemmingjay »

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:07 am »

Your programmer has gone AWOL? He's given up on the project, or just crashed and hasn't woken up yet (or has been killed by a competitor...)?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:17 am »

It seems my programmer cracked under the pressure and went AWOL

And after you tucked him into bed and everything.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 08, 2014, 08:20:52 am »

He's probably just exhausted, but he's been unresponsive since 6pm GMT-5 last night and it's 9AM now. 

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 08, 2014, 08:39:32 am »

That's quite a long sleep!

Loaded it up and followed your instructions, and here are a quick few things I've noted:

1) Is there any way to 'clean up' the 'viewing window' a little? The transparent blocks (part of the UI design, I imagine) encroach a little too much into the viewable area and so forces you to view through a smaller window than feels comfortable to the eyes (my eyes, anyway!). That's probably me just being picky, the UI looks really nice otherwise!

2) I've followed the instructions and decided to get weapons to Costa Rica. Bought them in Russia, convinced a flight to take them via Portugal to Honduras - but when the plane arrives in Honduras, I can't find my weapons anywhere. Not in the warehouse in Honduras, or Portugal and aren't visible when trying to plan another journey (in the inventory). Am I doing something wrong? -EDIT- Further investigation in my Transactions tab showed that they were shipped to Honduras, who bought all 50 AKSU units for $1...not each...just $1...was that something *I* did wrong?

3) When I loaded the game up, both 'Windowed' and 'Full Screen' had an 'x' next to them. Had to un-cross one to have the game initiate the other.

4) Are the 'truck' graphics final or placeholders? As the planes are an overhead view, it might be nice to have just an overhead outline of a truck etc.

5) Is there any way to show the planes with your cargo making their journeys to show where your cargo is in real-time? Perhaps having a little icon, or different colour etc., to let you know they have your goods on board?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:44:31 am by Kaje »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 08, 2014, 09:40:53 am »

All of the vehicle icons are placeholders. Trucks may be gone from the game soon as I don't care for the convolution that they create. As for the Honduras purchase, are you sure you clicked to send them to the warehouse? I believe the warehouse isn't functioning right now, so they would stay in your possession, allowing you to load them on another ship.

This is a very limited alpha test, so not a lot of outside elements were planned for. We had to turn off a lot of other features that are in the game that we didn't want to introduce you to yet, which may have made some things behave wonky. I agree about the squares, they bothered me a lot at first and then later they seemed natural. I have asked that they be changed but I stopped caring once I got used to it. I don't find that it limits anything useful, but I do still plan on changing it. I believe the artist used them because it all felt too sharp and severe of a rectangle without them breaking the shape. I think some other kind of gradient border might be better.

The options screen bug is odd, I will check into that. I recommend trying to run 8x AA by the way. How does navigating the map feel? Any other concerns or things you like?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 40