Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 16355 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 24: Tree Classification Success!
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2014, 07:39:13 pm »

Find the salt, purchase, and begin powdering.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2014, 12:36:33 am »

Seek the traders out. Bring up that I need 4-inch crystal plates, but don't negotiate yet.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2014, 12:46:00 pm »

Ah! Well then. Time to check for something else - do we have any trees that form clonal colonies with shared root systems around the area? Like aspens, for instance? If so, engage in Test 16.

Spoiler: Test 16: The Hive (click to show/hide)

And even if that doesn't work out, or if it does and I still have time, perform Test 17!

Spoiler: Test 17: What's Inside (click to show/hide)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2014, 06:12:12 pm »

Turn 25: Who Are You? Powder; Patent Pending

Iktaka Modri
[Have clonal colonies?: Luck=3] Modri couldn’t recall any plants of that particular behavior. ((If she had it would have been cool, I had a tree in mind! Also, Test 17 has been renumbered Test 16 to reflect this.))

Spoiler: Test 16 Rolls (click to show/hide)
Modri had so many questions regarding the exact physiology of these trees. She got the crystal out of the stump easily, and examining the growth that was around it revealed there had been tiny tubes which met the crystals surface and then spread out to envelope the crystal in a chamber which had many small openings. There was a thin oily film on the crystal which had previously been unnoticed, but it was there. The creation of this chamber with various openings was the primary difference Modri noticed between these vascular growths and those of a tree forming a growth around something other than a crystal. Modri could see that the vessels contributing to this chamber originated from the highly ordered structures she had noticed earlier, and that these were spaced about a handswidth apart, fairly evenly, around the ring of the trunk, this observation being made possible by a 7 shilling investment in a magnifying glass. This appeared to occur within the phloem of the tree, while the cambium remained unchanged. No measurable difference occurred in the proportions of heartwood and sapwood, and with the exception of the aforementioned differences no visual cues became apparent.

Modri’s coinpurse was getting thin, but her results were good.
Spoiler: Research Notes (click to show/hide)

- 7 shillings, + Magnifying Glass
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Hide Teeth and Crystal Masses: Moderate=8][Guild Help: Moderate=9] Hiding teeth and small lumps of flesh was much easier than a giant boulder. Bane found a cabinet which he shoved all of the valuable bits into, after which he put a small flower on top of the cabinet for good measure. He was going to search out interested Guild members, but he didn’t have to go looking. Word had spread of a giant carcass being taken in to shore, and there were already Marichemists looking for a chance to examine the novelty. After some lively discussion it was determined the behemoth had the soft-boned skeleton of sharks, but that its scales were closer to the composition of turtle shells than of the softer scales found in most sharks and fish. The interlocking scales led to a flexible but resistant exterior, and the skeletal composition allowed for a very flexible spine. The organs were identified as being primarily similar to a shark.

Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)

Herman Tongs
[Find Traders: Simple=8] Herman found the traders and mentioned his need for a 4-inch crystal plate. He was given a quizzical look at first, but the merchant decided not to ask the need for it. He said he may know of mages who cut crystals into particular shapes, mostly for the sake of identifying what it was that was important in crystal function.

Wol Fann
[Purchase Salt: Moderate=7] Wol found individuals who worked with the salt, but it was rather expensive. It was applied mostly in very particular treatments, and the fact that it was imported from the coast added to its value. Wol handed over 15 credits for enough of the salt to make sure he could produce the powder. [Powdering Process: Moderate=10] The powdering process was as easy as Wol remembered when it was first demonstrated to him. He took great care with his extract, and so he heated the mixture very slowly, driving off the liquid over a longer period of time, but without risk of degrading the toxin. Then it was back to his mortar and pestle where it was ground to a fine powder. Wol was careful not to inhale any of his powder as he enclosed it in a small vial.

- 15 credits, + Chalky Salt (1 Use), + Red Vine/Sage Powder   
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:27:49 am by Samarkand »
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2014, 06:44:57 pm »

Test powder on volunteer.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 25: Who Are You? Powder; Patent Pending
« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:57 pm »

Suggest materials testing on the scales for use as armor, and material tests on the bone to determine its structural strength.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:49 am »

Ask if those mages might take a commission job, for, say, 20 shillings up front, 40 more upon delivery?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 17, 2014, 12:09:51 pm »

So, oily film on crystals, tubes forming around them, similar to an enclosure of any other object. Appropriate vascular structures are spaced evenly similar to the ring of primary meristems in the average dicot, if I've gathered correctly. Also happens in the extremely thin layer of phloem, evidently.

So!

Engage Test 17!

And after that, ask that forester I helped out before if he knows any clonal colony trees.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 17, 2014, 04:45:51 pm »

So, oily film on crystals, tubes forming around them, similar to an enclosure of any other object. Appropriate vascular structures are spaced evenly similar to the ring of primary meristems in the average dicot, if I've gathered correctly. Also happens in the extremely thin layer of phloem, evidently.
((You have correctly noted that I put them in an illogical layer. I had confused the size of the phloem and xylem. You can either interpret this to mean that the phloem layer is generally enlarged enough in CC trees to support larger structures, or I can edit it to be discussing the xylem.))
My Area

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 17, 2014, 05:27:12 pm »

((You have correctly noted that I put them in an illogical layer. I had confused the size of the phloem and xylem. You can either interpret this to mean that the phloem layer is generally enlarged enough in CC trees to support larger structures, or I can edit it to be discussing the xylem.))

((Probably makes more sense if it's the xylem, considering how radical an alteration phloem that thick would be for a tree. Although it could theoretically be in the phloem as well, given how the horizontal slit method seems to work perfectly well on appropriate trees. Up to you, I suppose.))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2014, 10:33:37 am »

((Probably makes more sense if it's the xylem, considering how radical an alteration phloem that thick would be for a tree. Although it could theoretically be in the phloem as well, given how the horizontal slit method seems to work perfectly well on appropriate trees. Up to you, I suppose.))
((We'll leave it as phloem, and say that the larger structure is accompanied by an enlargement if phloem overall. This would also explain why its fairly easy to identify by coring: the difference in size would be fairly noticeable))
My Area

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2014, 11:55:29 am »

Turn 26: Scalemail

Iktaka Modri
[Have clonal colonies?: Luck=3] Modri couldn’t recall any plants of that particular behavior. ((If she had it would have been cool, I had a tree in mind! Also, Test 17 has been renumbered Test 16 to reflect this.))

Spoiler: Test 17 Rolls (click to show/hide)
There were no systematic ways of measuring viscosity of a fluid, so Modri had to more or less eyeball it. It seemed different from sap, although she had a very difficult time articulating how; she was much more comfortable with definitive results! Farrek tried to channel magic through the substance, but ended up nearly falling over. For the first time since meeting him Modri took a good look at the man. He was haggard, worn down from the constant use of his magic. Perhaps the man needed a vacation. At the very least he was clearly done for the day. Fortunately the day was not entirely without results. Modri was able to confirm that these structures in the phloem carried this new liquid, but also that this was not the case in trees without crystals. In fact, in CC trees without crystals these structures seemed empty, without any fluid. This would explain why earlier observers hadn't noted much about them; they did not appear to serve any purpose unless a crystal was present. The rest of the phloem carried sap as usual

[Forestry Favor: Luck=7+1] Modri called in her favor and discovered there is a tree which grows in clonal colonies of small clusters in the swamp near Paludan. It is named Traitor's Bean, though the name actually is derived from the earlier name of Traitorous Bean. It serves as a stimulant when cooked properly, a poison when uncooked, betraying the person consuming it.

Spoiler: Research Notes (click to show/hide)

- Forestry Favor
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Material Test Scales: Luck=12][Material Test Bones: Luck=7] Bane convinced fellow guild members to conduct tests on the material properties of the bones and scales. The bones were mostly cartilage, offering greater flexibility at the cost of strength, and no use was immediately apparent to those conducting the tests. The scales were another story. They were incredibly difficult to break, and were layered in such a way as to prevent most piercing or slashing weapons from making contact with whatever lay beneath. At this point the Admiral came in with a couple of the city guard and ushered everyone except Bane and Podri out, and Podri only stayed at Bane's insistence.

"What was discovered here is to remain here. Do you understand? There's a lockdown on all arms and armor not owned by Varisport right now, each city gets just enough to protect their guards. If Varisportian authorities found out about this scale it'd be taken from us in a heartbeat, allies or not. Now, I need to know how you found and killed this thing."

Bane recounted the entire story, starting with recruiting Podri and the theft. He slipped into storytelling mode as he reached the description of the tension as the beast approached, describing in detail the flurry of action that occurred as it broke the surface of the sea. Gesturing as to the size of the beast was entirely superfluous, the massive carcass served as a backdrop for the story. This was high fisherman drama; it didn't get any better than this.

"Damn, so we do need the Mages Guild for this. This thing doesn't look like it can be brought down with harpoons easily. You, Podly, you're gonna be a liaison for this entire project. You'll be in charge, from our perspective. From the Mages Guild perspective you're a young member who got lucky and stole Guild property. You understand? We need to decide what to tell them mages. Just enough that they'll be interested in helping us kill more of these beasts, but little enough that we don't give them our whole damn catch… You have anything for them aside from these scales?"

Herman Tongs
[60 shillings?: Luck=7] The merchants seem to think that these mages have had little enough success in creating any new effects with different geometries that they would be happy to do commissioned work, though another 10 shillings would probably need to be added up front to allow for the purchase of a sufficiently large and pure crystal.

Wol Fann
[Test Powder: Moderate=12] Wol decided that he ought to test the powder the way it was intended to be used. He waited for his volunteer to go to the market, and followed. As the man was walking home Wol jumped out from around the corner of a building and threw a handful of powder in the man's face. He went down like a rock, and broke an arm that was caught under him. Wol dragged the man into the small space he had jumped from, and with the help of the toxicologist carried him back to their workspace. When he came to Wol explained he had tried to leave while still dizzy and tripped, falling and breaking his arm. Wol had then bandaged him and monitored him. The man thanked Wol for his care, and left to go to the market. Wol just hoped the merchants were happy enough with a repeat customer to not mention anything…

My Area

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 26: Scalemail
« Reply #192 on: July 20, 2014, 11:59:14 am »

It's a deal. Give them the money and the exact proportions and other specifications of the crystal plates needed.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2014, 12:37:37 pm »

"Farrek, I think you should take a couple weeks off, just saying. The next stretch of time, a bit in all likelihood, will probably be anatomical examination."

First of all, request more assets, showing the results already obtained as proof of concept. Give Farrek about half of what I get, up to 20 shillings, to properly enjoy himself with, since he's done some really good work.

Second of all, obtain a more powerful magnifying lens, if one exists. Enlist a glassmaker to construct one if none are available.

Then it's time for Test 18!

And then, once Farrek's recuperated (if he hasn't, just keep waiting), go and visit the Traitor Bean groves of the outskirts of Paludan with him, and engage Test 19.

Spoiler: Test 19: Inheritance (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:47:33 pm by Harry Baldman »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2014, 01:31:35 pm »

"Perfect!"

Show it to the Grandmaster.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16