Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 16339 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 29: Assembly Begins
« Reply #225 on: September 02, 2014, 12:44:34 pm »

Spoiler: Research Notes (click to show/hide)

How interesting! Remove crystals from bucket of CS, then on to Test 25!

And while we're not observing that, do Test 26!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 30: Mage Down!
« Reply #226 on: September 02, 2014, 02:34:12 pm »

Turn 31: Crystal Fever!

Iktaka Modri
Spoiler: Test 25 Rolls (click to show/hide)
Farrek was attempting to inject a fair amount of crystal sap into a tree when the needle slipped and entered his own arm. The amount of crystal solution that entered his body was not substantial, but he quickly began complaining of tiredness and a fever. The sap had already entered his blood stream, there was no way to remove it, leaving Modri few options.

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Get Podri rest: Luck=8] Bane quickly took his magically gifted assistant to an inn and laid him in a bed to rest. The young man was breathing shallowly, but his condition did not appear to be worsening. It took a full day before he returned to consciousness, at which point he complained of being weak and hungry. Another day of rest and a substantial portion of fish brought him back to health. The only way he could explain the event was that the crystal had somehow pulled all of his magical energy from him. He had just barely held onto enough to survive…

-10 shillings
Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)

Herman Tongs
[Find Mage: Simple= 11]Mages weren’t common in Ludan, but Herman knew where to find them: dogging the Forgemaster. His two usual attendants were in tow as he was making rounds of the Guild’s complex, checking on the work people were doing. A quick explanation of Herman’s project got both mages curious.

”You want to use magic to power a hammer? I understand we can generate force through crystals, but I’m not sure how you’ll convert that into a functioning hammer?”

Wol Fann
[Cut Rats: Simple= 6, 7] [Apply herbs: Moderate=10] Wol made short incisions in each rat, and thought they looked roughly equivalent. The application of the herb mixture was actually fairly simple; the rat didn’t struggle much. However, the results were well below what Wol would call successful. The rat healed only slightly more quickly, and neither rat experienced any infection so it was difficult to test as an antiseptic, and it was also difficult to test the anesthetic properties, though the rat with the balm appeared to be moving less gingerly than the untreated one.

My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!
« Reply #227 on: September 02, 2014, 02:45:49 pm »

Explain.

"It's simple, really. Crystal plates push water, the water rotates a wheel, the wheel spins an axis, the axis raises a hammer with a ratcheting winch, which, when released, drops the hammer onto the anvil, then the process is repeated. With this kind of power, much larger things can be forged than with regular smithing."

EDIT: In case of critical success, my ultimate goal here is to convince at least one of the mages to help me with testing and demonstrating the machine for as cheap as possible.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:48:10 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 02, 2014, 04:43:51 pm »

"Well, that settles that idea. The sap appears to be quite poisonous indeed."

Nurse Farrek back to good health.

In the meantime, use my helpers to conduct Test 25. Supervise them as needed.

That is, if I do have helpers. If not, do it myself.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 02, 2014, 07:26:45 pm »

"Oh... so it's dangerous to mages... I won't make you handle it further, but this does warrant some explanation. Perhaps we should keep them apart just so that doesn't happen again."

Try to design a means of using the compression-wave crystal to propel a harpoon, perhaps by using a giant cannon. Write it down on paper.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]