Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 16340 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 28: What's this Crystal Do? *Poke
« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2014, 05:02:36 pm »

Ask Alice or some person about healing herbs, numbing herbs, and preservative herbs.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 07, 2014, 05:56:36 pm »

A boom with no explosion? Is the crystal still intact?
By jove, I think you've done it! A different sort of crystal.
A reusable self-defense that doesn't risk as much harm to the user!
Though, harvesting it may be a major challenge/issue.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 27: Tastes Like… Sand!
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2014, 07:03:00 pm »

"That last crystal seems quite powerful... I will not be forgiven for suggesting this, but perhaps we could hold our own with it should tensions rise..."

Make lots of necklaces and go market them!
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2014, 02:08:10 am »

Construct the hammer, minding to leave some room for the engine. For the mechanisms, use 3 great ones and 1 perfect one.

((Almost done... *evil laugh*))
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 09, 2014, 02:00:07 pm »

Spoiler: Research Notes (click to show/hide)

Firstly, engage in Test 21.

Spoiler: Test 21: Collectivism (click to show/hide)

If the Traitor Bean does not respond unpredictably to the shards, then gather some CS from them (the crystal sap, just in case you forget). Gather a good helping, in fact, and then try Test 22.

((By the way, no need to repost the Research Notes - I'll be keeping those up myself from here on in.))
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:12:28 pm by Harry Baldman »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2014, 10:41:15 am »

Turn 29: Assembly Begins

Iktaka Modri
Spoiler: Test 21 Rolls (click to show/hide)
Given the opportunity to pick from a number of trees meant that Modri could find the ideal spots to insert crystals. As a result the first crystal went in without problem, but it was difficult to observe any change in the behavior of the trees. After inserting the second crystal it became clear that the tree was deflecting objects. Better yet, the entire grove was! All of the manipulation that earlier trees seemed capable of the entire grove could now do.

Spoiler: Test 22 Rolls (click to show/hide)
Modri harvested the sap easily, and while injecting is was fairly challenging, with patience she was able to ensure that the sap got into the phloem of a tree of the non-CC grove. After a while they began checking the response of the trees, and found that there was a response, but it was smaller, and localized to the tree into which the sap was injected. Upon checking for CC tissue they found that the injection site had the sap still in it, the tree forming a knot around it.

-2 crystals
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Sell Monster Jewelry: Luck=9] Bane effectively converted all of the jewelry sized teeth into shillings, quickly fashioning necklaces and selling them in the market. His business was substantially boosted by the rumors that he had brought a beast in, but also somewhat diminished from its full potential by the fact that copycats were already selling some teeth necklaces. When the day was done he had collected 110 iron shillings from his trinkets.

-Pile of Teeth, + A Few Large Teeth, +110 shillings
Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)

Herman Tongs
[Assemble Hammer: Moderate=12 -1][Average Quality ~ Great] The anvil was not quite designed perfectly for the machine, but all of the other parts easily compensated for this. When he was done Herman took a step back to admire his remarkable machine. Now he just needed to assemble the power source.

+Great Powered Hammer, - Parts

Wol Fann
[Ask Alice: Simple=5] Alice was again available to answer your questions.

”Dragon’s blood is a good start. Doesn’t anesthetize at all, but it helps wounds heal well. Also doesn’t speed healing much, but it does some. The leaves and roots of the Purple Ladies plant can help speed healing substantially. For numbing, I’d use Witches Cap. It’s seeds can be ground to an oil which can relieve pain substantially.”

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 29: Assembly Begins
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2014, 11:38:14 am »

Go buy a small knife, and collect some of the three herbs Alice suggested.

((I'll keep any animals that I never poisoned. Everything else can probably go, except the salt, which I'll keep just in case.))
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:20:57 pm by Playergamer »
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2014, 12:16:22 pm »

Construct the water engine attached to the hammer. Fill the reservoir up while I'm at it.

((I just realized, I'm missing a part. I need a mage to activate the crystal plates, but I'm almost out of money. I do have a few plans to solve it, but it will be an annoying diversion.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2014, 12:23:57 pm »

Spoiler: Research Notes (click to show/hide)

Okay, didn't quite expect that to work! Engage in Test 23.

Spoiler: Test 23, Symbiosis (click to show/hide)

While Test 23 is ongoing, get as much as a bucketload of CS from CET grove (CEG) if I haven't already. Then do Test 24.

Spoiler: Test 24, The Solution (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:37:57 pm by Harry Baldman »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2014, 01:12:38 pm »

Further investigate the smaller crystals. Are they reactive in any way? Does Podri sense their location?

Try to see what happens when all three crystals are brought close together.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 01, 2014, 11:00:27 pm »

Turn 30: Mage Down!

Iktaka Modri
Spoiler: Test 23 Rolls (click to show/hide)
As the team continued to monitor the tree it became clear that the effects of the sap were fading. Within a few hours Farrek was able to extrapolate the decay of the response, predicting when it would be below any measurable limit. The actions became weaker and weaker until eventually it was completely undetectable. At this point Farrek pushed a crystal into the tree, only to find that there was still no response. Modri was thorough in exposing the tree to the usual stimuli, but couldn’t get any sort of reaction out of the tree.

Spoiler: Test 24 Rolls (click to show/hide)
A grove of trees yields much sap indeed. Precisely a bucketload, provided the harvester of said sap brought an appropriately sized bucket. Fortunately, Modri was able to acquire one such bucket, and thus found herself as the proud owner of a bucketload of sap. Into this bucket went the crystals three, to no avail; the bucket failed to act strangely, despite its strange contents. Farrek found the sap to be of little consequence in his access to the arcane powers of the crystals; neither submerged nor coated could they resist his strength. Farrek found this encounter decidedly mundane till he felt his sap coated finger, the diminutive limb being far less ordinary than a man is accustomed to. It was as though the sap carried with it wee little crystals.

-2 crystals, -5 shillings, + Bucketload of sap
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Test smaller crystal: Moderate=2] Podri kept probing the small crystal with small amounts of energy, not wanting to set off too large of a reaction, and still seemed to get no results. He made a comment to Bane about wanting to try a bit more energy when suddenly, seemingly out of the blue, he passed out, crumpling onto the floor. Seeing as his only source of knowledge relating to the crystals had mysteriously lost consciousness, Bane discontinued testing for the day.

Herman Tongs
[Assemble Engine: Moderate=8][Average Quality ~ Great] The pipes didn’t all fit together as well as he would have liked, and so some of the water might leak out over time, but he was fairly confident that the powering mechanism would work well. At least, once he found a mage to provide the force. [Fill: Simple=5] Carrying the water to fill it for the first time was almost more difficult than assembling it. Herman had thought hours of forging would have made his muscles strong enough to do this easily, but he actually found himself getting a little tired. Maybe it was all this time spent designing machines; his mind had been getting more of a workout than his arms as of late.

+Great Magical Water Power Source, - Parts

Wol Fann
[Buy Knife: Simple=6] Wol bought a knife, though he may have overpaid at 7 shillings. [Collect Herbs: Moderate=7, 11,10] He was able to put it to work though, and he quickly collected enough sap and herbs to get to work. He cleared away is workspace, getting rid of many of the old plants and poisoned animals to make space for new testing. The toxicologist who had been helping him also left, since he had primarily been interested in the old powder that Wol had been making. He did mumble something about improvements to be made, perhaps intending to continue optimizing the formula.

-7 shillings, + small knife, - lots of random crap
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 30: Mage Down!
« Reply #221 on: September 01, 2014, 11:19:19 pm »

Go find a mage. Initiate conversation.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 01, 2014, 11:22:51 pm »

Try to mix the three herbs together, and cut two rats, as similar as possible, and apply the mixture to one rat while leaving the other one to heal on it's own.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 01, 2014, 11:31:26 pm »

So the trees are dissolving the crystals, which is mingling with the natural sap, causing this interesting sap you've been investigating.
It's just ordinary sap with dissolved crystals, methinks.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 02, 2014, 01:44:50 am »

Take him to the inn, try to identify symptoms. Did he tire out?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16