Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 16356 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 18: Poker Face
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2014, 01:38:12 am »

???
What are you planning...?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2014, 02:34:16 am »

You'll see. I'll have to fix all the "????" steps in my plan, but I'm getting there...
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2014, 03:29:46 pm »

((Waiting on player))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2014, 03:45:24 pm »

Look for the means to do that, then.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2014, 04:21:57 pm »

Turn 19: Jaws

Iktaka Modri
[Insert Extra Crystals: Moderate=7] Two reactive trees were embedded were given an additional crystal and observed, with no significant change in apparent behavior.

Modri updated her notes to reflect this observation.
Spoiler: Research Notes (click to show/hide)
-2 crystals
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Jaws?: Luck=11] Podri saw it first. He had a number of false alarms earlier, got jumpy at every wave. The young fishermen hardly paid attention to him anymore, but Bane knew that a fishermen had to be aware of every possibility. He followed Podri’s gaze, and he wasn’t watching a wave. There was a cylinder of water that was undulating, like a snake moving rapidly just below the surface. When Bane raised the alarm the young fishermen instantly jumped into action. The raft was set out into the water loaded with chum and the potentially explosive barrel. The water calmed momentarily, the creature presumably haven dived beneath the water briefly. The fishermen readied themselves, each of the three harpoons prepared to spear whatever might come from the water. Podri was shaking a little, for all his bravado he was clearly not mentally prepared for this type of adventure. But he was focused of that barrel. The water stayed calm longer than Podri would have thought, but the fishermen were unsurprised. The beast was still down there. Seconds dragged to minutes. Podri lightly moved the raft back and forth using the boulder, either because he thought it would elicit a response from whatever fearsome predator lay below, or to test his control and make sure he was ready. Or perhaps it was a nervous fidget. No one spoke. Eyes tersely scanned the water, gliding over its calm surface in the hopes of spotting some form of disruption. Muscles grew tired just from the tension of readiness, unwilling to relax for a moment and be caught off guard.

Podri was clearly on the verge of questioning whether or not the hunt was still on, even turning slightly away from the boulder, when suddenly it happened. A giant maw burst forth and consumed the raft, boulder and all. The scales flashed in the sunlight, deep blues and green scintillating, hues conjuring images of underwater grottos filled with the strangest of fish. An eye the size of a head exposed itself. The overall shape of the beast was impossible to determine, only glimpses flashed above the water. [Harpoon: Luck=5, 7, 3] All three harpoons were sent hurtling towards the fearsome predator. One glanced off to little effect, another stuck just barely within the scales, and a third sunk into the beast. None of it would be immediately lethal, it would come down to Podri. [Explode Boulder: Moderate=7] Despite his appearance of being ill prepared the mage reacted in time. He appeared to concentrate hard and suddenly there was a giant rush of water. [Dodge Crystals: Luck=9,6,10,11] All of the men aboard the boat managed to throw themselves down to the deck to avoid any of the crystals flying. [Creature’s Health: Luck=4 – 1(Harpoon) – 2(Boulder)] Whatever beast lay just below the surface, it was barely wriggling. They had killed it.

-3 harpoons, -1 boulder, + Titanic Corpse
Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)

Herman Tongs
[Cast Ingot: Simple= 5] Herman cast a rough Sea Silber ingot, not paying mind to exact shape, more interested in mass. [Grind into Powder: Difficult=9] He had to buy some time on a quern, but Herman was able to grind the ingot into a fine powder.

+ Powdered Sea Silver, -10 Shillings

Wol Fann
[Still Get: Simple=9] Wol asked around and found somebody who had an alembic to spare; they were moving from herbal experiments to physiological ones. As a result, they were more than happy to trade the glassware for Wol’s pile of dead rats. Wol could proceed with refining the toxin.

- 9 Dead Rats, + Alembic
My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 19: Jaws
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2014, 05:55:07 pm »

Refine!
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2014, 07:12:04 pm »

Epic! A tip of the hat to you, sir.

Since we only stuck in a single harpoon, attempt to find out how deep the water currently is by attaching a harpoon to a rope and sending it down.

All the while, keep at least one person on the lookout for other fishing ships.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2014, 01:00:55 am »

Ponder if Sea Silver has a lower melting point than bronze.

If yes, galvanize the pipes', the reservoir's and the corkscrew rod's inner surfaces by lining the powder evenly and rotating the part under just enough heat to melt Sea Silver, but low enough to keep it viscous and the bronze still hard.

If not, melt the Sea Silver, then dip the parts into it, quick and cold enoguh not to melt them.

This is starting to feel unnecessarily complicated. This many rolls will probably spell disaster at some point.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2014, 04:36:54 pm »

Turn 20: Fractional Distillation

Iktaka Modri
[Insert Another Crystals: Moderate=10] Both of those trees were given additional crystals, and at first it seemed there would be no change. Farrek got the idea to start throwing lots of things at the trees, however, and they realized that trees with multiple crystals could push away more objects simultaneously, one per crystal.

Modri updated her notes to reflect this observation.
-2 crystals

George Thain

Bane Willedhelm
[Test Depth: Moderate=7]The rope hit bottom somewhere around 150 meters. That put them in the shallows, but by Bane’s estimation the slope which led into waters of uncharted depth would be nearby. It was even likely that when they had first spotted the titanic creature they had just killed, it had been over this deep region. They would need to move the carcass quickly to prevent it from attracting whatever else lay past that drop off. [Ships?: Luck=11] Fortunately there were two fishing ships that were hailed quite readily. There was a tacit agreement amongst fishers in Korinscove that if anyone needed help hauling in a catch others would sacrifice their time. This help was frequently, though not always, met with a reward of some sort.

Herman Tongs
Herman recalled that Sea Silver melted at a higher temperature, by about 200 degrees. He was unsure if he could coat the parts quickly enough, but he decided to give it a try. [Coat (Difficult): Pipes= 4, 6, 5, Reservoir= 11, Corkscrew= 9] The corkscrew and reservoir were properly rustproofed, but two of the pipes got wrecked and the third only had half of it coated before he had to withdraw it.

- Great Pipe, - Well-Made Pipe

Wol Fann
[Refine: Moderate= 7] The herbs were crushed in water and then distilled off in the alembic. The collected fraction was distilled again, and a third time, before Wol was satisfied with the purity of the distillate. The milky white solution was clearly a mixture of the prized oil and the water still, but it would surely be several hundred or thousand times more concentrated than in the plant itself.

+ Red Vine/Sage Extract
My Area

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 20: Fractional Distillation
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2014, 04:46:23 pm »

Create molds 5 more pipes, hone them, cast bronze into them, recycling the ruined pipes.

Hot-dipping isn't reliable enough, it seems, and not very efficient, at that. I'll have to try something else. Or just cast the pipes directly from the Sea Silver, but that'd be wasteful.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2014, 04:48:19 pm »

((Just so you all know, just opened up a suggestion RtD in the same universe over here.))
My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2014, 04:55:13 pm »

Try it on a pig.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2014, 02:04:37 am »

Hail the ships, and if they are friendly inform them of the nature of our catch. Try to understate it as best as possible, but offer payment.

Then haul it to shore.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2014, 05:23:02 pm »

Turn 21: Wet Mage

Iktaka Modri
[Earn Favors: Luck=6] Modri was at a slow point in her research, trying to decide what to do next, so she went around and helped with other projects. She earned a small favor from a forester to be cashed in later.

+ Small Forestry Favor

George Thain

Bane Willedhelm
[Get them to Cooperate: Simple=5] The fishermen were familiar with many different sorts of catch, but the hulking shape just under the surface was not one of them. They wouldn't buy any downplayed description. What Bane had was a monster, and it was clear from their faces that they hoped to get a substantial reward upon arriving. However, true to custom, they didn't ask about any reward and simply helped Bane haul it to shore.

[Dice Poker: Luck=7] It took a while to get to shore and so the two young fishermen dragged Bane and Podri into another game of dice poker. Bane's luck held, he won a choice cut of the beasts flesh, prepared however he liked. After they made sure it was edible, of course, but it was extremely uncommon for a beast this large to have poisonous flesh. Podri's luck was not so good. One of the fishermen won a scale from the beast, harvested by Podri while it was still in the ocean. Poor boy looked like he might wet himself. In fact, he may have. Hard to tell, him being in the ocean trying to free a scale from a behemoth with a small knife.

Herman Tongs
[Shape Pipes: Simple= 8, 6, 11, 6, 5][Hone Pipes: Moderate= 7, 3, 11, 10, 6] Herman trashed one mold trying to hone it, but produced a number of other very good ones. [Pour Pipes: Moderate= 5 + 2, 8 + 3, 12 + 2, 6 + 1] Herman produced a couple of pipes he was proud of, a couple he wasn't. Such was smithing.

+ Perfect Pipe, + Great Pipe, + 2 Fair Pipes

Wol Fann
[Pig Test: Moderate=8] Wol continued testing oral administration, since he was uncertain of the toxicity of other routes, and got the pig to swallow a small dose of the toxin. The pig passed out quickly, awoke after an hour, and had regained balance after 3. It did not seem to avoid Wol afterwards, so the drug likely altered memory again, although the observation was far from conclusive.

My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 21: Wet Mage
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2014, 05:25:47 pm »

Test it on the volunteer. Put safety above results.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16