Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 16343 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 21: Wet Mage
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2014, 10:16:26 pm »

Get to the compensation part. Pay Podri the promised 20 shillings, and proceed to help cut up the beast and distribute pieces of it to everyone who participated, offering the best parts of the meat to the fishers whose boat we used. Pay the other fishers a few shillings for their trouble.

Try to keep most of the crystalline parts for myself and Podri.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2014, 07:15:15 am »

((Waiting on Icy.))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2014, 07:29:56 am »

Consider how I might get the pipes galvanized with as little materials and risk as possible.

((This is what I get for leaving a "Step 3: ????" in a plan...))
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2014, 04:27:43 pm »

Turn 22: Wait, You did What?

Iktaka Modri
[Earn Favors: Luck=6] Modri continued assisting others and earned a small favor from a bowyer.

Spoiler: Research Notes (click to show/hide)

+ Small Bowyer Favor
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Compensate! But not too much: Luck=6] Podri was given his money, though his eyes strayed only long enough from the beast to make sure the coins made it into his purse. The fishermen who had lent the boat got the choice cuts off of the beast. Bane tried to give small amounts of coin to the new fishermen, but they could tell from the size of the beast that it was worth quite a bit, and so Bane had to shell out more cash than he would have liked.

-40 Shillings
Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)

Herman Tongs
[Plan!: Moderate=7] Herman scoured his memory for a way to get Sea Silver on bronze easily, but he couldn’t think of a method. He did, however, remember that there was a colleague of his who worked on this sort of thing. He requested 8 shillings per pipe, however, and the quality would be out of Herman’s hands.

Wol Fann
[Volunteer Test: Moderate=9] Wol administered the thin liquid to the volunteer, knocking the poor fellow out. When he awoke he was disoriented, but when he came around Wol was able to confirm, by the same method as earlier testing, that the volunteer had lost his memory of the event, and also of the pig waking up. It seemed he had lost around three or four hours of memory. It also caused him some concern when he was told he had been given the toxin. His memory hole had led him to believe the pig may not have made it.

My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 22: Wait, You did What?
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »

Pay my helpers for their assistance, and show off the drug to the Guildmaster.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2014, 07:51:34 pm »

Look to haul the beast closer to the guild, before starting cutting out organs and bones and set them aside for examination.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2014, 11:14:23 am »

Name Test 12 Transformation in a fit of creativity, and dub Test 13 Uppery, though that one's less creative.

Next, obtain a particular tool. In this case, the sort of drill (there probably is a term for it, but I do not happen to know it) that you use to get a sample of the tree's trunk or roots in order to determine its age.

And then it's time for Test 14!

Spoiler: Test 14 - Stumped (click to show/hide)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2014, 11:18:29 am »

Give my best three pipes and payment to the galvanizer. While I'm at it, buy that anvil I looked at a few turns back. Hopefully 91 shillings will be enough for the crystal plates, but if not, I have a plan.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2014, 05:24:44 pm »

Turn 23: Back to Work

Iktaka Modri
[Get Tree Corer: Moderate=11]There were plenty of tree corers laying around. This is the Carpenter’s Guild after all…

Spoiler: Test 14 Rolls (click to show/hide)
Modri decided it was time to get back to serious research. She located three trees about to be cut. One was noted to be dead, but had the highly ordered vascular structure of reactive trees. The second had a structure which was difficult to classify, and the final was alive and had the reactive structure. Crystals were embedded into all three without problem. The first tree did not react in any way, the second also did not. In the third there was a spurt of growth where the tree enveloped the crystal. The crystal was positioned such that Modri and Farrek could watch as the vascular tissue at the outside of the stump formed a cavity with the crystal in it, over the course of several hours.

+ Tree Corer

George Thain

Bane Willedhelm
[Haul: Simple=5][Butcher: Moderate=8]The thing was heavy, but after a couple of attempts Podri was able to find the exact amount he could lift it using crystals without tearing it apart, and was able to lighten the load substantially. And butchering went better than might be expected. The beast had a bulbous head followed by a long muscular body that eventually tapered to a flat blade-like fin. They had slain a true sea serpent, its body was almost that of a snake except for the fact that its tail terminated in a fin. A long lateral cut opened the beast up, and organs were carefully cut out and set aside. The bones consisted only of a ribcage that ran the length of the beast, the spine to which it was attached, and the bones that made up the skull. Those and the rows upon rows of teeth, that is, some as large as Bane’s fist.

+ Organs, Bones, and Meat, - Corpse

Herman Tongs
Herman handed off his pipes and coin before going to get the anvil. He got that as well and moved it to his workshop. When he returned for the pipes he found they had been galvanized, although the process had altered shape some.

- 84 shillings, + anvil, + Fine Rustproof Pipe, + Well-Made Rustproof Pipe, + Great Rustproof Pipe

Wol Fann
Wol gave the toxicologist 10 credits and the volunteer 5 to compensate them for their time. [Show Off: Luck=5] When he went to Grandmaster Jorun, however, the old man was less impressed than he would have liked.

”Hmm… That’s progress, you’ve got a toxin. But how are you going make a target drink it? Our market for this would prefer what you originally proposed: some sort of powdered form. Or perhaps something that could be applied to an edged weapon. They aren’t subtle, interested in poisoning food or drink. You’re close, I’m sure you can manage it. Can’t give you much more in the way of funds, but come back if there’s anything in particular you need. Might be able to help out.”[/color

My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 23: Back to Work
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2014, 07:08:33 pm »

Set aside the teeth for possible sale (if they don't have any other use, of course). Since Podri seems to be able to sense the crystals inside of it, try to locate some of the crystals and cut out a section around a mass of them. Try not to expose hem to open air, however.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2014, 07:27:19 pm »

Figure out how to powder it.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2014, 03:18:54 am »

Pull a few strings on where I might get the crystal plates. Don't spend more than 20 shillings on bribes etc.

((You forgot to deduct the money from my assets.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2014, 01:27:49 pm »

Test 14, continued: keep observing the responsive stump. See what happens during the next couple days. Then engage in Test 15.

Spoiler: Test 15: Prediction (click to show/hide)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2014, 07:30:56 pm »

Turn 24: Tree Classification Success!

Iktaka Modri
[Continued Observation: Simple= 9] The stump fought to keep itself alive, pulling water in and nutrients, but there was only so much a force crystal could do for a tree which had been reduced to a stump. It died within a week. Its moment of death was marked by a gradual decline in activity, until its crystal was undetectable.

Spoiler: Test 14 Rolls (click to show/hide)
The corer broke on the first tree and sliced open the hand of one of the assistants, but with no crystals in the area yet it was no concern, 5 shillings just had to paid to replace the corer, and another 3 to bandage the hand nice and properly. After that cores were taken and examined. The first two were too difficult to identify, but the third clearly had larger structures and the fourth was clearly disordered. Each tree was given crystals, a process which had become so routine for the team that it took barely any effort, and then it was a matter of watching. The one with larger structure reacted, as expected, and the other was monitored for a full three days nonstop. Every stimulant possible was provided to it, all with no reaction. It was conclusive; the vascular structure of the trees determined their ability to utilize crystals.

- 8 shillings, + 1 CET, + 1 UCET, -2 Crystals

George Thain

Bane Willedhelm
[Sense Crystals: Moderate=9, 10, 7, 5][Cut: Simple=6, 6, 5] Podri was able to find crystals by reaching energy out and waiting for it to be pulled on. This close it was actually fairly simple. He found three regions that he identified as having crystals in them, and then it was a simple matter for Bane to cut them out. He could even feel that there was something hard under the lumps of flesh. They seemed to be more round than the crystals found in boulders. The first mass Podri had identified fit in Bane’s palm, the second was larger than his fist, and the final one was a tiny thing, no larger than a man’s eye. Podri seemed to think there might be smaller crystals, but he couldn’t pinpoint their locations. The technique he was using was very undeveloped. [Harvest Teeth: Simple=7] Bane was also able to harvest a pile of teeth, which he set aside for selling later.

+ Large, Medium ,and Small Crystals in Flesh, +Pile of Teeth

Herman Tongs
[Where Crystals?: Luck= 7] Herman was smart enough to start with the poor fellows charged with watching the Forgemaster. One of them wanted no part in any sort of back-alley dealing, but the other was more than happy to supplement his allowance. And it gave him a chance to talk with someone other than his bear of a charge. He said there were caravans which traveled between Ludan and Varisport with some regularity, trading a myriad of different things, from fish packed on ice and dyed clothing to essentials like beer. These trips were long, and the profit wasn’t always guaranteed since the demand for luxury goods fluctuated based off of the needs of a small number of families. The merchants would be more than happy to carry a small object in order to supplement their income.

- 10 shillings

Wol Fann
[Contemplate Powdering: Moderate=11] Wol remembered a technique which was used in some rare applications where healing herbs needed to be inhaled into the lungs. A special chalky salt that was harvested in Korinscove was mixed with the extract. This mixture was then heated to drive off the liquid, and the coarse powder was then ground to it would suspend itself in air easily.

My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 24: Tree Classification Success!
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2014, 07:38:28 pm »

Hide the teeth and crystal masses (perhaps stick the masses in a bag.), then contact the guild for help in further examining the body and identifying its anatomy.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16