Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 202998 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #420 on: July 01, 2014, 08:56:19 pm »

Odd...keep seeing cancelled stockpile jobs being done by plump helmet men.

EDIT: Regardless, would it be possible to mod the raws to make them able to haul?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:04:47 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 02, 2014, 03:02:24 am »

Hello,

I have two bugs (5.10), that might be linux-related I'm not sure though:

1. I played without ff_plants, and I could plant my underground plants all year. Also they all took one (!) year to mature. (YOu can imagine the fun I had.) Now I am pretty sure that harder-farming was enabled, but I also had that enabled in other games, where the crops took different durations, and I don't think they took one year. I checked plump helmet raw, and it said 4036(ca.), the equivalent of one year.
Okay, consulted the manual, and apparently plants in harder farming are supposed to grow one year. That is indeed strange, because I thought I remembered some situations with harder farming where it only took 2 seasons or something.  ???

2. When mining down a cave my miners found a vein of anthracite (nice!), but behind that was also a vein of "anthracite dust". I am guessing anthracite dust is supposed to make my miners sick or something as a part of the harder mining thing? Or is anthracite dust supposed to make veins?

EDIT: 3. What reaction should I use to shear my bearded cavernkneets? Share animal doesn't seem to work. Also how often are leatherwing bats supposed to be sheared? I have ~20 of them (damn, the breed fast) but if I just spam shear creature a litle it tells me there is no creature. Edit2: Manual tells me 1 season. That is not as much as I expected.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:15:05 am by Snaaty »

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 02, 2014, 04:02:40 am »

Sorry for the double post, but this is  aseperate question:

Is there any way to change the names of labours manually, like Meph did with the new MDF labours?

In my unit-screen it still displays the vanilla labour names, which can be quite confusing.

Also, is it intended that the Guild-membership only shows in the unit screen if the dwarf highest skill is supported by his guild?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #423 on: July 02, 2014, 04:43:09 am »

Sorry for the double post, but this is  aseperate question:

Is there any way to change the names of labours manually, like Meph did with the new MDF labours?

In my unit-screen it still displays the vanilla labour names, which can be quite confusing.

Also, is it intended that the Guild-membership only shows in the unit screen if the dwarf highest skill is supported by his guild?
No and yes. no changing of names on linux, yes, the guild skill thing is intended.

bearded cavernkeets cannot be sheared. anthracite dust is harmful to your miners.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 02, 2014, 05:14:58 am »

anthracite dust is harmful to your miners

Soo, I can just not mine it?

bearded cavernkeets cannot be sheared

Does that mean their awesome beards currently have no use?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #425 on: July 02, 2014, 05:26:59 am »

yes and yes. but anthracite dust should only be single tiles inside of anthracite veins.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 02, 2014, 07:14:26 am »

How about doing something interesting with ice?

One can dig it from frozen rivers, sometimes.  If you're fast enough, you can build permanent buildings from it.  (Game of Thrones style ice dam :) )

Maybe an ice maker to make Dwarven Smoothies from.  Maybe an ice block maker to make floors and walls from (magma traps?), or a refrigerated hall to slow down invaders.  Maybe ice statues or decorations.

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #427 on: July 02, 2014, 07:30:00 am »

The problem is the temperature. If you mine ice outside (its cold), and carry it inside (its warm), the ice boulder will melt in the workers hand, giving you spam about job item lost.

Contructions also dont give any temperature changes, a wall of ice is NOT cold. They dont slow down anything. But Roses had a nice aoe script for changing temperatures, I made the suggestion for a heater and refrigerator that works on the level above. He liked the idea, but I guess he got distracted by other projects. :D It would be a nice addition to gnomes :)

jwpartain1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 02, 2014, 07:35:34 am »

With a low level smelter (furnace operator), should I be seeing a situation where I'm only getting slag? Is there a certain leveling/% process that goes on?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #429 on: July 02, 2014, 07:38:49 am »

No, the level of the operator only determines speed.
You get rid of slag by processing the ore before you smelt it. Think of it like that: You have rock with 25% ore in it, you melt it, you get tons of unwanted, molten rock. Slag.

If you process it first, you get rock boulders, rock blocks and pure ore, which can be molten without that much slag.

jwpartain1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 02, 2014, 08:39:29 am »

Thanks! Up til now, I've been "sufficing" with bone and leather; time to hit the Dwarf manual again!

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:45 am »

Exactly how much magma can I get out of the magma spawner, per use?  I'm thinking of making a giant underground temple of armok / obsidian farm that requires a dwarven sacrifice every time I want some more shiny stone.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #432 on: July 02, 2014, 08:54:10 am »

see the screenshots I posted, but they are unlimited, but the worker will die.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 02, 2014, 11:01:42 am »

see the screenshots I posted, but they are unlimited, but the worker will die.
And you will need to rebuild the well if it isn't fully magma-safe.  I've been having fun trying to set up a nice way to get magma for forges and such.  I think a simple 10 radius circle over the well with grates over a trough that the magma is actually drawn out of is probably the best setup (though using the trap costs an extra blood).  trying to work out what will have the least waste, since the 1/7 remnants on the floor end up evaporating uselessly.

Oh, btw, large magma trap is spelled 'large magma trag'.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 02, 2014, 12:31:36 pm »

You would need to binary-edit the executable program (libs/Dwarf_Fortress) to change the labor names that are are hardcoded in the program.  It can be done, but I don't know of a safe way to do it at the moment.  Someone had a zsh script that ran a bunch of sed -i commands against the program, and I wrote a bash translation of that, but that still isn't safe, because it doesn't escape special characters that might cause sed to do unexpected things (like & on the right hand side).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 92