Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 62

Author Topic: Bizarre Magical Items  (Read 84797 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre Magical Items
« Reply #615 on: February 05, 2018, 07:01:36 am »

[Insert name] OF DOOM!!!
Attatch this to an object in any way shape or form, and it will immediately become a [Thing] OF DOOM!!! Works on living creatures, but tends to make them yell doom a lot, as well as scream at people to get this thing off my head my hair is crawling with lice and it's growing so long I trip on it please kill me now.
Perfectly harmless!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #616 on: February 05, 2018, 11:53:39 am »

Cauldron of Truthsmelling: When heated to a boil, this cauldron emits the smell of a far-off location, in the future, or in the past.  This item behaves similar to a scrying mirror; a experienced adept may direct it to a particular point in space or time, but it can only produce smells.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 05, 2018, 12:08:32 pm »

Cauldron of Liesmelling: When heated to a boil, and supplied with the proper ingredients, this cauldron produces a smell based on the ingredient somewhere in the future or past.  The location on the receiving end will have (had) traces of scrying magic, one of the few ways of recognizing the influent of this artifact. Experienced adepts have been able to alter the course of history, including causing and preventing this artifact's creation, simultaneously. Few people understand how such is possible, but many claim it was due to the Unobject of Nonparadoxical Paradoxes being used as an ingredient for it.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 05, 2018, 07:11:14 pm »

Notsword: This sword does not exist, until you pick it up at which point it starts existing.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 05, 2018, 08:25:57 pm »

Knotsword; A sword whose blade is oddly shaped, seemingly tied in an overhand knot. Said knot is not completely tight, and has an open loop within it. If it's wielder catches the blade or such of another weapon within that loop, they can bend the weapon, upon which the entire weapon will twist into an unwieldy knot, essentially disarming the opponent.

Notsword: This sword does not exist, until you pick it up at which point it starts existing.
If it doesn't exist, how can you pick it up in the first place?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 05, 2018, 09:08:41 pm »

You DO realize that this is the BIZARRE magic items thread, right?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 06, 2018, 12:56:45 am »

The notsword doesn't exist anywhere, so if you are not anywhere you can just pick it up.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 06, 2018, 01:42:37 am »

The notsword doesn't exist anywhere, so if you are not anywhere you can just pick it up.
But then you wouldn't exist, and therefore, the action of picking up the sword would be inexistent, and thus, it wouldn't actually be picked up.

Maybe it doesn't exist until someone tries to pick it up. Let's just call the sword an illusion for now. If you saw it and didn't know it didn't exist, you might try to pick it up. You'd go through the motions of picking it up, and when you try and grab it, you're in the middle of trying to pick it up. If, at the moment where it could be picked up, it became real, then it would still not exist until the point you pick it up (until is only before, not during), and be real afterward.

I'd assume it'd become not real again when it's dropped, which could be exploitable. For example, dropping it, blade down, above your enemy (it would not exist at this point, and thus past through them) and grab it back up while it's in them. The sword would them be able to displace brain matter with a single blow.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 06, 2018, 02:37:33 am »

Magical universe, with quasi-real dream world solves this problem succinctly.  Your dream self (which is not exactly real, and thus not exactly "there") picks up the not sword, making it real. It then hands you the sword. (possibly through a portal to said dream world.)

You just gotta think outside the box. You guys would never make it as arcane item dealers.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 06, 2018, 02:59:35 am »

You can't telefrag people using that method with the Notsword, because things that do not exist won't move, due to lacking a position in space and a velocity. If you found a way to grab the sword in such a way it starts existing inside an enemy, that would be fine.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 06, 2018, 04:19:41 am »

Not the point.

The point is that the enchantment makes a not real thing, into a real thing, when it is picked up. (does not specify how, or by whom)
So, you pick up a not-real instance (eg, dream world resident imagined version) of the not-sword using your dream avatar (since you are asleep in a REAL bed), which is likewise not "real."  This action turns the sword "real", allowing it to traverse a portal to the waking world.

This requires some preparation, and some prerequisites.

1) a portal between the waking world and the not-so-real dream world, through which real objects can be exchanged. It is activated before you sleep.
2) Some reliable means of having a lucid dream to manifest in the dream world.

You then use this reliable method to fall asleep, and manifest a dream avatar. The dream avatar conjures the not-real version of the not-sword, using dream manipulation. It then picks it up, making the sword real. The dream avatar then tosses the "real" sword through the portal. Since the sword is now real, having been picked up, it traverses the portal just fine, and lands on the floor in the real world with a thud.  You can then wake up, and collect the realized sword.

:P

One could theoretically just keep conjuring them, and tossing them through for hours if they wanted.

There is of course, a catch.  You cannot imagine in your hands. You HAVE to "Pick it up", which means you have to imagine it on a floor, in a cabinet, on a counter, etc--- some circumstance that requires you to pick it up first. For the mass production idea, one could imagine a machine that cranks them out and makes a pile of them on the floor of the dream world just beside the portal. Then the action of picking it up to toss it through will make it real, allowing it to traverse the portal. You just hunker down and just start picking and pitching swords through.

This could be used to amusing effect to seriously peeve off a DM if two players work together. One a dream manifesting character, and the other a plane manipulating wizard.  They could conjure hundreds of pounds of metal swords, completely avoiding the normal material components of such conjuration, by exploiting this enchantment.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:32:43 am by wierd »

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 06, 2018, 09:24:50 am »

Notesword:
This weapon can store and replay short audio messages.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #627 on: February 06, 2018, 10:46:42 am »

Yandering: A ring that shields the user from harm and randomly deals minor force damage to nearby enemies.  While worn, other objects in the user's possession may be randomly teleported away when they are not being watched.  The more useful an item is, the more likely it is to be teleported.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 06, 2018, 06:49:05 pm »

The Notsword isn't "not real", it doesn't exist. If you dream of a sword, it exists within your dream, meaning by definition it is not the Notsword.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 07, 2018, 12:56:23 am »

By that angle, even knowledge of the notsword prevents its manifestation, because it can exist in your mind-- which is what a dream manifestation is.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 62