Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34

Author Topic: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy/Supers OOC Thread  (Read 29619 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy OOC Thread
« Reply #450 on: July 13, 2014, 01:54:57 am »

In regard to number two, try that character maker that our GM kindly linked to, it has a few things that will help and also some powers so that you don't need to be an AI. Also look at Ultra Tech for possible robot stuff.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #451 on: July 13, 2014, 02:25:09 pm »

Alright, I need some thoughts on the four different character ideas I have. I can't decide on one, since each sounds cool at first thought, but I can't make them work the way I want.
What I want to play: Something that would be fun and interesting to play, in both the mechanical and roleplay sense. Something silly. Something original.

Well, I'm going to go ahead and raise the point total to 450, so that should make things easier on you. Means kyle will need to update his character, though. I suggest a level or two of wealth, a reputation, and some other nice supervillain stuff.

First, we have the flying car. The main problem is that the points needed to have enough attributes to be a car that is somewhat realistic (fast, like 60 MPH, strong enough to carry passengers, with enough HP and DR to be made of metal) is STUPIDLY HIGH.  It drains most of the points available to me, leaving me with not much more than Flight, which doesn't make for an mechanically interesting character. I could also drop the flying car thing altogether, and become a motorcycle, reducing my Strength needs, freeing up some points to invest in weapon mounts and the like.

Yeah, that'd work quite well. I'm giving you an extra 150 points, so you should have enough. Also remember to apply the discount for having a large size to your strength, and for having no manipulators (Assuming you don't) to your DX.

Second, we have the AI who spontaneously emerged on the internet, and is living in there. This is a very mechanically cool concept, but it means that I have to work on a whole different playing field, completely unlike everything else, meaning that I can't interact with them in the traditional sense. I worry that this might make me feel frustrated and distant from the action. I am currently favoring this idea, as it means I can use things like Possession to take control of drones and stuff. There are also some interesting things I can do with various fabrication skills to have an effect on the material world.

This could work. Remember that this will be more a series of solo adventures and crossovers, and less a single coherent campaign. So if your character has limited interaction with other PCs, that's not so much a problem.

Third, we have the tank. Very simply put, every point goes into DR (Absorption, Force Field, Ablative, Can't Wear Armor) and Regen (Extreme, DR only). This is stupid, silly concept, and would completely flop at anything meaningful. I don't like it, but I want to bring it up.

Well, you could certainly do this. I'd advise that if you do make this character, you make him a team player, and have him be closely aligned with another PC, or at least buy an ally at "Always present". That'll make him much more interesting to play.

Fourth, the grizzled veteran cop, with a grudge against supers bigger than the stack of paperwork on his desk. Exactly what it sounds like. Mechanically, not the most interesting I can do, and an interesting, if stereotypical character. Just came up with this one, which is why he is the least fleshed out.

This also works. I'd suggest you work him into the setting a bit more- does he hate anyone with powers? Only mutants? Only Superheroes & Supervillains?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:26:49 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 13, 2014, 02:27:49 pm »

For those last two it would go interestingly with my guy.

If they went with tank, Can anyone say Bulldozer?

And if they went with the cop I might change my cleaner a bit more than I am already with the point raise.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy/Supers OOC Thread
« Reply #453 on: July 13, 2014, 11:58:24 pm »

So what is the GURPS powers that the 4th edition keeps talking about.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 14, 2014, 12:50:37 am »

Alright, I need some thoughts on the four different character ideas I have. I can't decide on one, since each sounds cool at first thought, but I can't make them work the way I want.
What I want to play: Something that would be fun and interesting to play, in both the mechanical and roleplay sense. Something silly. Something original.
Well, I'm going to go ahead and raise the point total to 450, so that should make things easier on you. Means kyle will need to update his character, though. I suggest a level or two of wealth, a reputation, and some other nice supervillain stuff.
Thanks! 50 disadvantage still, right?

First, we have the flying car. The main problem is that the points needed to have enough attributes to be a car that is somewhat realistic (fast, like 60 MPH, strong enough to carry passengers, with enough HP and DR to be made of metal) is STUPIDLY HIGH.  It drains most of the points available to me, leaving me with not much more than Flight, which doesn't make for an mechanically interesting character. I could also drop the flying car thing altogether, and become a motorcycle, reducing my Strength needs, freeing up some points to invest in weapon mounts and the like.
Yeah, that'd work quite well. I'm giving you an extra 150 points, so you should have enough. Also remember to apply the discount for having a large size to your strength, and for having no manipulators (Assuming you don't) to your DX.
Ya, I think I was just going a little overboard. That's what happens when I play GURPS. My new build has some of that worked out.

Second, we have the AI who spontaneously emerged on the internet, and is living in there. This is a very mechanically cool concept, but it means that I have to work on a whole different playing field, completely unlike everything else, meaning that I can't interact with them in the traditional sense. I worry that this might make me feel frustrated and distant from the action. I am currently favoring this idea, as it means I can use things like Possession to take control of drones and stuff. There are also some interesting things I can do with various fabrication skills to have an effect on the material world.

This could work. Remember that this will be more a series of solo adventures and crossovers, and less a single coherent campaign. So if your character has limited interaction with other PCs, that's not so much a problem.
Ah, yes. I had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

Third, we have the tank. Very simply put, every point goes into DR (Absorption, Force Field, Ablative, Can't Wear Armor) and Regen (Extreme, DR only). This is stupid, silly concept, and would completely flop at anything meaningful. I don't like it, but I want to bring it up.

Well, you could certainly do this. I'd advise that if you do make this character, you make him a team player, and have him be closely aligned with another PC, or at least buy an ally at "Always present". That'll make him much more interesting to play.
For those last two it would go interestingly with my guy.

If they went with tank, Can anyone say Bulldozer?
I'm currently favoring/working on this one, if Kyle wants to team up for much money, many stealing.
Fourth, the grizzled veteran cop, with a grudge against supers bigger than the stack of paperwork on his desk. Exactly what it sounds like. Mechanically, not the most interesting I can do, and an interesting, if stereotypical character. Just came up with this one, which is why he is the least fleshed out.

This also works. I'd suggest you work him into the setting a bit more- does he hate anyone with powers? Only mutants? Only Superheroes & Supervillains?
Eh. I'm going to skip on the normals. Superscience tanks for the win!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:15:08 am by My Name is Immaterial »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 14, 2014, 12:55:45 am »

I was slightly hoping for some rivalry with your character. Doesn't rule out friendliness though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:16:33 am by kj1225 »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 14, 2014, 01:00:28 am »

All I'm saying is that you know how to operate a grenade launcher, and I can have grenade launchers built into me. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 14, 2014, 01:03:19 am »

And I compulsively clean. Nice and shiny parts.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 14, 2014, 01:16:41 am »

What tech level would we be at?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 14, 2014, 01:17:20 am »

TL 8
So look in High Tech if you don't want generic stuff.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #460 on: July 14, 2014, 01:19:28 am »

Yup. There is a lot of superscience/magic/extraordinary stuff floating about, if you know where too look. I'll put forth some more detailed rules for that if you tell me what you want.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 14, 2014, 01:23:14 am »

What pistol would you recommend?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 15, 2014, 12:40:54 am »

Depends on what you're looking for. For pure damage, get a Gyroc. For power and less damage, get a Desert Eagle. For stealth, a hold out is your best bet.

My almost finished sheet. I've still got another 27 points to spend, and I'm not sure what on. Should I invest in more DR? Skills?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #463 on: July 15, 2014, 12:44:58 am »

...Huh. What character is that? A combination of the first three?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 15, 2014, 12:46:43 am »

More of the first and third. Basically, he's a tank. More like a WWI tank than a modern tank, when it comes to armor, but not when it comes to guns.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34