Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator  (Read 47308 times)

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2014, 03:52:58 pm »

Um uh, I found Sweden.  Um.  Uh.  Are we at war with Sweden?  I mean, it would make sense, cause they are part of NATO...
Screw it, unrestricted Sub Warfare it is.  They were going to Australia anyways, probably full of passengers AND GUNS. 

Now we are at war with Chile, and allied with Pakistan.  Did I win? 

Well, so far pretty cool simulation.  Still going around and doing stuff.  Got like 15 kills.  Getting slightly bored, going into hiding until the next update.  Or until I recon Narvik. 

Update: Damn, I was thinking this was too easy, then my reactor 2 pump blew.  Back to Havana I go. 

Update: 2 Well, I got back, but lost a guy due to me trying to fix the reactor.  Deaths 2.  First was from a malfunction in the anti-fire thingy.  Then I get to Narvik take out two cargo ships, scout the place, and the reactor blows again, turn it off, I fix it, turn it on, and turns out I did that wrong, as it blew again.  I'm now at Rostock.  I can imagine this getting very hard, very quickly. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:33:50 pm by alamoes »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2014, 12:17:33 pm »

Willing to share any features of the next update TheGeoff?

I suppose you'll be wanting to push ahead with your other game, but I'd really hope that you could first implement some ideas in SubCommander first. Things like more in depth crew/crew management, enhanced UI and so on could all probably be multi purposed or at least prototyped in sub-commander.

I'd personally like to see some more in depth missions and general simulation. I feel that as fun as it is, I want to feel like I'm part of something rather than just a lone wolf going and destroying everything(and that is really fun!). I'd also like a bit more of a ramp up in difficulty around ports/major areas. I sometimes feel I can go in blasting a bit too much.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2014, 02:50:51 pm »

What new game?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2014, 07:50:57 pm »

Its gonna cost money?

Well, thats one reason for me to find a job... <_<
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2014, 08:22:23 pm »

Its gonna cost money?

Well, thats one reason for me to find a job... <_<

Don't worry, the 2d one will remain free, so the dev said, and he'll use it to test features me thinks. 

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2014, 09:54:58 pm »

Pretty much. I'll definitely continue focusing on Sub Commander for a while, the 3D one is more a side project for now. There are still a lot of features I'd like to add to Sub Commander and yeah, eventually I plan to use it to test out new features before they're added to the 3D sim.

As for the next version:
I've been talking to a former US Navy submariner recently who's given me some really useful info about how systems should function and what can go wrong. The next version will include some of his recommendations, including some new types of accident and possibly a new mission type. I also want to overhaul the main menu into something a bit more useful, hopefully incorporating an options menu to avoid all the messing around with gameoptions.ini.

A few other minor improvements are also planned like the ability to rename crew (mostly useful for LPers), a better load/save system with multiple slots, maybe the ability to reject missions etc. If there are any features you would like to see, now's a good time to post them!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2014, 04:48:01 am »

Being able to rename the ship ingame perhaps?
Also, if your really insane, the abbility to defect to another nation/go rouge and have everyone after you.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Toriad

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Silence
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2014, 05:03:24 am »

First off, I would like to thank and congratulate you for marking Submarine Commander. Despite it being in early alpha stages, it is one of the more in-depth sub simulators I've ever played. Truly a piece of art!

As for any additional designs; I played around with the other sub designs, and found the subs with missiles to be quite some fun! It would be great if the game included some sub-to-surface combat. Ie. sending cruise missiles to annihilate ground forces / strategic buildings, etc.

Also, sub vs sub combat would be insane! 

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2014, 08:04:16 am »

Being able to rename the ship ingame perhaps?
Also, if your really insane, the abbility to defect to another nation/go rouge and have everyone after you.
Defecting would actually be really easy to code with the new diplomacy system, I really like this idea! I'll try to figure out a way to implement this for the next update - it'll probably be an option on the radio screen, I think.

First off, I would like to thank and congratulate you for marking Submarine Commander. Despite it being in early alpha stages, it is one of the more in-depth sub simulators I've ever played. Truly a piece of art!

As for any additional designs; I played around with the other sub designs, and found the subs with missiles to be quite some fun! It would be great if the game included some sub-to-surface combat. Ie. sending cruise missiles to annihilate ground forces / strategic buildings, etc.

Also, sub vs sub combat would be insane!
Thank you! Glad you're enjoying the game. That's a cool idea too, shouldn't be hard to add a few airbases, silos, army bases etc to the map and cruise missiles to hit them with. There are already enemy AI subs in the game, they're damn tricky to spot and from what I've seen they seem to cause about 80% of player deaths at the moment. Working as intended!

Toriad

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Silence
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2014, 09:32:41 am »

...There are already enemy AI subs in the game, they're damn tricky to spot and from what I've seen they seem to cause about 80% of player deaths at the moment. Working as intended!

That explains all the sudden deaths i've been having..

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2014, 10:58:22 am »

My biggest 'gripe' with sub commander is the interface, and I'd really, really like to see this fixed.
Even though I've been playing it for a while now, I still find it a bit cumbersome to use and I think a more user friend/graphical interface would be a big draw to new players and certainly help if you're trying to use it as a bit of an advertising bed for your new one.

To achieve this in a basic enough fashion, I think it'd need to have buttons for the basic control panels as well as a few common commands/screens. There is obviously the problem (from a purely UI standpoint) that you have to wait for a crewman to man the station - I'd suggest that you could possibly bring up the screen but have it greyed out till someone comes, otherwise the player might think they hadn't clicked it.
The more you could do with a mouse friendly interface the better, but even if there were just basic buttons for the main stations at the bottom or right of the screen and nothing else, I think this would help a lot.

Regardless of if this appeals to you or not, PLEASE allow the player to exit control screens with the escape key rather than going straight to the menu!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2014, 02:38:11 am »

So basically you suggest having (clickable) buttons for all the main screens - the map, periscope, crew management, weapons, sonar etc - on the default screen? Sounds reasonable, and it could definitely help new players learn their way around the sub. I'll put it in a future version and see what people think.

As for the escape key, you're absolutely right - I've noticed (in LPs, live streams etc) that a lot of people hit it when trying to exit a menu. Do you think I should just bind the menu to something else and make the escape key function like backspace, or should I make it so that Esc only takes you to the menu if you aren't already looking at a control panel?

Appreciate the feedback and I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I've been testing and playing the game for so long the controls feel natural to me!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2014, 04:34:11 am »

should I make it so that Esc only takes you to the menu if you aren't already looking at a control panel?

I like this system best.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2014, 05:03:27 am »

Oh wow. That new project looks incredible. If and when it gets released, count on me throwing some money your way, TheGeoff.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15