Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator  (Read 47309 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2014, 04:41:19 pm »

Is there any set location hurt people get haulled to, or is it random?

Because one guy was dragged to the reactor room...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2014, 07:31:27 pm »

There was a bug preventing use of fullscreen mode which has now been fixed. If you have downloaded the game in the past ~12 hours and are encountering this problem, please redownload the game.

What there's a pause button? Why I didn't know this!!!!
It was the number one most requested feature for a long time, it was eventually added in version 0.22 I think.

You can't set it at the moment, the crew will automatically try to pick a nearby safe spot to treat the wounded guy - away from fire, radiation, flooding etc. Sometimes the reactor room is the safest spot I guess! If they can't find a safe place, they will try to perform first aid anyway but the wounded guy's odds aren't great.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2014, 07:44:43 pm »

Thanks for all the answers but still a few things do not add up. I tried having the damage to the inner hull behind a bilge pump repaired and it could not be. So it basically causes a permanent leak until you get to an allied base?

After the fire ate all of my oxygen, waiting did not restore the oxygen. It would hit 1% and then go back down to even after toggling the air on and off. So I opened the door and let air fill in from another room, and once it hit 21% the oxygen stayed steady. To me it seemed as if the oxygen was entering the room through the system, but was quickly being dissipated (maybe from a bug with fire and 0% oxygen?), but then it didn't lower when oxygen was flowing in from another room. The only other explanation I can come up with is that there is a way to damage something so oxygen can't be sent to a certain room.

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2014, 08:42:10 pm »

Hmm, not sure what the repairing problem could be - I've never heard of that happening before and all of my testing has shown that it works fine. Objects (like the pumps) in the way shouldn't be a problem because crew can climb on top of bilge pumps or other objects to repair the hull behind it if they need to. Repairing does take a long time (especially if the crewman is not experienced and/or does not have a welding torch), maybe the damage just isn't being fixed quickly? What does the crewman's job description say when he has been ordered to repair? (click on the crewman or point and press V) It should say 'Repairing hull' if all is working correctly.

As for the oxygen, it sounds like the vent in that room was closed. If the vent is closed the room is isolated from the ventilation system and oxygen will not be replenished regardless of whether the electrolysis is on or off. If the fire suppression system turns on (whether intentionally or not) the vents will automatically close, and you need to manually flip the switch for that room on the misc systems control panel to open them again. If the vent was open then there is definitely a bug somewhere in the ventilation system code.

Thank you for reporting these, I'll continue to run test scenarios and see if I can identify any bugs or problems.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2014, 10:20:23 pm »

Thanks for all the answers but still a few things do not add up. I tried having the damage to the inner hull behind a bilge pump repaired and it could not be. So it basically causes a permanent leak until you get to an allied base?

After the fire ate all of my oxygen, waiting did not restore the oxygen. It would hit 1% and then go back down to even after toggling the air on and off. So I opened the door and let air fill in from another room, and once it hit 21% the oxygen stayed steady. To me it seemed as if the oxygen was entering the room through the system, but was quickly being dissipated (maybe from a bug with fire and 0% oxygen?), but then it didn't lower when oxygen was flowing in from another room. The only other explanation I can come up with is that there is a way to damage something so oxygen can't be sent to a certain room.
Was the o2 gennie going?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2014, 11:41:39 pm »

Was the o2 gennie going?

I toggled both the electrolysis and the oxygen release to try to get it working, but no luck.

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 19, 2014, 10:26:42 pm »

So I know everyone's probably still busy with DF0.40, but if you're in the mood for some nuclear annihilation Sub Commander V0.25 has been released:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2244738&postcount=319

Highlights are nuclear missiles, paranoid cold war diplomacy, and significantly improved enemy AI. Also, you can now save/load the game.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2014, 12:37:46 am »

I clicked this tread thinking "it is just someone asking if there has been any updates.  The game is probably dead." Your post was a happy surprise! Looking forward to trying it soon.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2014, 04:00:19 am »

THE GREAT BRINGER OF POWER DEMANDS SACRIFICE!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2014, 12:26:11 pm »

This looks fantastic!!!
Not had a chance to play it yet, just thought I'd quickly say that Google chrome is blocking the download!

Edit: HOLY HELL! Your new project sounds amazing! Have you played 'Artemis:Bridge Simulator'? It's a similar idea but in space. I'm a huge fan (and it's very popular in extremely geeky circles) due to it being one of the few multiplayer games which is actually cooperative rather than just sort of 'shooting the same bad guys'. Worth a look at to learn from it's successes/mistakes.

One major thing is that it's one of the few instances where realism definitely needs to be sacrificed for game play. Artemis has a bit of a problem with some 'stations' being pretty boring - because as important as they are, they're just not that exciting to play as. Now on a sub, that problem is going to be amplified, as there's less lasers and more checking. No one is going to want to be in charge of being sat checking the air mix - no matter how important it is.

I'd suggest you either get around this via making it slightly 'futuristic' with a lot of things automated, or having each player character assigned to be the officer for a department (engineering, weapons, and so on) - however the second option might feel not 'hands on' enough for some people. 5 people is definitely the sweet spot for number of players, although it's always good if it can be scaled up (so if you've only got two friends, everything will still work).

If you'd like some more in depth feedback as a long term player of Artemis, do let me know.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:39:07 pm by Retropunch »
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2014, 07:20:40 pm »

Yeah, Google Chrome autoblocks basically any .exe hosted on dropbox now saying it it 'malicious'. Why they can't say "This file may be malicious, do you want to continue?" is beyond me, it's a real pain and basically means I'll have to make my own website and host the file there.

Thanks! I've never played Artemis Bridge Simulator but I came across some videos of it when I was doing some research for Sub Commander, it looks awesome! Definitely has the kind of atmosphere I'll be aiming for with the new project.

There's a couple of differences which will hopefully avoid the potential problem of people being stuck with a boring job. The main one is that the game will be played like an FPS - you can move around the sub to wherever you want, so for example the guy in charge of the reactor can come help out the guy monitoring the radar and sonar if necessary. Battling fires, repairing the reactor etc will all require several crew working together, so there should be plenty to do even if your station is pretty quiet. The other thing I think is important is an option to fill player slots with AI crewmen (who can be given orders), so any unwanted jobs can basically be automated - this should allow for small groups to play effectively, or even for the game to be played solo. Still figuring out how everything will work but that's the basic idea. Thanks for the offer, when the game is closer to completion I'll almost certainly be asking some Artemis players for feedback!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2014, 08:02:01 pm »

I like the idea of it being an FPS, it gives the option to have some scripted games (Like re-capturing the boat)
Highly Opinionated Fool

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2014, 10:21:30 pm »

Yeah, Google Chrome autoblocks basically any .exe hosted on dropbox now saying it it 'malicious'. Why they can't say "This file may be malicious, do you want to continue?" is beyond me, it's a real pain and basically means I'll have to make my own website and host the file there.

Thanks! I've never played Artemis Bridge Simulator but I came across some videos of it when I was doing some research for Sub Commander, it looks awesome! Definitely has the kind of atmosphere I'll be aiming for with the new project.

There's a couple of differences which will hopefully avoid the potential problem of people being stuck with a boring job. The main one is that the game will be played like an FPS - you can move around the sub to wherever you want, so for example the guy in charge of the reactor can come help out the guy monitoring the radar and sonar if necessary. Battling fires, repairing the reactor etc will all require several crew working together, so there should be plenty to do even if your station is pretty quiet. The other thing I think is important is an option to fill player slots with AI crewmen (who can be given orders), so any unwanted jobs can basically be automated - this should allow for small groups to play effectively, or even for the game to be played solo. Still figuring out how everything will work but that's the basic idea. Thanks for the offer, when the game is closer to completion I'll almost certainly be asking some Artemis players for feedback!

That's really annoying, I hope you manage to get the website sorted without too much trouble!

I think there's a careful line which needs to be walked with automation and boring stations. I think there needs to be enough engagement so that those that are on 'boring' stations don't have to wander around a lot just to feel useful, but you don't want it to turn into a sort of submarine shooter game. I'd suggest merging or automating most things and just having command, steering, weapons, engineering and comms(which might incorporate sonar/radar) as the main stations, whilst any other features are done by AI crewmen. Perhaps some of the AI functions could be taken over by player characters if and when needed, to allow for more players to play together/have better control.

Really, I just feel that Artemis has shown me that although 'realism' is great in these games, the game play over realism scale weighs heavily (really heavily) in favour of game play in co-op multiplayer.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2014, 03:58:55 am »

This is real annoying for those who don't host their games on wordpress.com or modDB or somewhere Chrome trusts.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2014, 12:02:30 pm »

Fired a missile at my home port for whatever reason. Before the other "friendly" ships in the area blew me to pieces, I took a look at the missile console and saw tons of missiles flying around between cities.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15