Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator  (Read 47288 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator
« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2014, 07:17:02 am »

Wait, someone made a LP of it? I mean, I was planning to then got lazy... But someone actually did it? What assholes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2014, 07:26:04 pm »

Ah. I nuked a Soviet port facility as a Soviet sub, and then the USSR declared war on itself and started launching missiles. Yay me?
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2014, 07:35:41 pm »

Well, he is adding deflection soon...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2014, 08:35:11 am »

If there are any features you would like to see, now's a good time to post them!

Maybe a (G)UI less cryptic and hard to use than DF. ;)
I know it's part of the charm to see only one "console/panel" at the time but simply moving around the ship is a PITA actually.

Is it also off the chart to think about controlling a WW2 era diesel sub, maybe the big japanese ones that could launch aircraft?

Good luck with the 3D ;)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2014, 11:15:50 am »

So basically you suggest having (clickable) buttons for all the main screens - the map, periscope, crew management, weapons, sonar etc - on the default screen? Sounds reasonable, and it could definitely help new players learn their way around the sub. I'll put it in a future version and see what people think.

As for the escape key, you're absolutely right - I've noticed (in LPs, live streams etc) that a lot of people hit it when trying to exit a menu. Do you think I should just bind the menu to something else and make the escape key function like backspace, or should I make it so that Esc only takes you to the menu if you aren't already looking at a control panel?

Appreciate the feedback and I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I've been testing and playing the game for so long the controls feel natural to me!

Sorry for the delay, I definitely would like to see clickable buttons for all the main screens on the default one, as well as possibly clickable buttons for any controls which you feel are important enough to warrant a button (and that it wouldn't break gameplay/balance by having it as easily accessible).

As far as escape keys, I second Fikes opinion that it should only take you back to the menu if you aren't looking at any other screens. If you'd prefer to bind it to something else though, F1 would probably seem most natural.

Really great to see a developer taking on suggestions and feedback, and I can't wait to see how things progress.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:23 pm »

Ah. I nuked a Soviet port facility as a Soviet sub, and then the USSR declared war on itself and started launching missiles. Yay me?

LOL!

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2014, 11:46:42 pm »

It's been a while since the last post but for those still interested, version 0.27 has just been released: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2268802&postcount=395

Highlights:
- Active sonar has been added, so you can finally be Sean Connery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0JaXfKj68
- AI ships and aircraft can now fire at each other, so you can evade pursuing aircraft or ships by luring them towards your own forces.
- The main menu has been reworked so you can select a submarine, nation and starting city without messing around in the gameoptions.ini file.

Enjoy!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2014, 12:03:03 am »

PTW. Holy crap this looks more in-depth perhaps than even Silent Hunter.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 15, 2014, 02:52:42 pm »

It's been a while since the last post but for those still interested, version 0.27 has just been released: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2268802&postcount=395

Highlights:
- Active sonar has been added, so you can finally be Sean Connery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0JaXfKj68
- AI ships and aircraft can now fire at each other, so you can evade pursuing aircraft or ships by luring them towards your own forces.
- The main menu has been reworked so you can select a submarine, nation and starting city without messing around in the gameoptions.ini file.

Enjoy!

It just gets better!!!
I have to say, I'm not keen on being allowed to refuse orders - it seems like it should cause some sort of penalty. It'd be great to refuse orders which would send you 'rogue' which would make any previously allied ships hunt you down. If this could be combined with these allies being given your last position it'd make for an interesting thing to do.

I'd still prefer for Esc to cancel out of all screens other than the core (how backspace works). I don't think it be a problem to have both do the same thing really - I know it's redundant but It'd be useful for people used to that system and those used to using Esc. I'd also still encourage buttons/a UI overhaul - I know you're probably working on your new project a lot, but I'm absolutely positive that a UI overhaul would get more people interested. 
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2014, 08:55:13 pm »

I think refusing orders makes sense to have, it just needs to be reworded. There should be conditions under which you are allowed to state either mission failure, or changing conditions. Refusing should be reaaally rare, and make you go rogue as said. But, if I get sent to find some ship in the arctic, and it isn't anywhere logical, I should be able to tell Sub command this and pray they call me back for something else.

Also, I'll admit my immersion was ruffled when I torped a North Korean military vessel right off the coast of England. xD If that could be fixed somehow, erm, that'd be great.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 16, 2014, 02:07:10 pm »

Dropbox is demanding I give them my first and last name to download this.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #206 on: December 16, 2014, 06:12:50 pm »

Makes me feel like I'm Denzel Washington in Crimson Tide, even though I'm a white guy.
Regards,
Dampe

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 16, 2014, 06:22:47 pm »

No we only need your credit card number and PIN. ;)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 17, 2014, 01:31:26 am »

Actually, you can just close the first window requesting log in info, then chose "just download without registering" the second time.  It's a pain, but not as bad as actually being required to register.

Also, nuclear missiles appear to be bugged.  Seems whenever I launch a nuke, the game crashes within a minute or so.

I thought it was unrealistic that every nation in the game would field nice and decent nuclear subs.  So I created a budget submarine.  Smaller, less torpedoes, less fail-safes.
Behold, the Pinto Class!

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2014, 01:20:18 am »

It just gets better!!!
I have to say, I'm not keen on being allowed to refuse orders - it seems like it should cause some sort of penalty. It'd be great to refuse orders which would send you 'rogue' which would make any previously allied ships hunt you down. If this could be combined with these allies being given your last position it'd make for an interesting thing to do.

I'd still prefer for Esc to cancel out of all screens other than the core (how backspace works). I don't think it be a problem to have both do the same thing really - I know it's redundant but It'd be useful for people used to that system and those used to using Esc. I'd also still encourage buttons/a UI overhaul - I know you're probably working on your new project a lot, but I'm absolutely positive that a UI overhaul would get more people interested.
The game still occasionally makes mistakes when assigning missions, so being able to request a new mission without penalty is a necessity for now. If you get ordered to sink a ship in the Caspian Sea, for example, you shouldn't be forced to defect just to get new orders. Future improvements to the mission system will hopefully mean I can add a diplomatic reaction like you suggest.

A few people have been requesting the escape key change so I might add it in a mini update in the next few days Just added this, redownload the game to get the update. I started working on the button overhaul recently too, but decided to save that for a future release since it'll take a while.

I think refusing orders makes sense to have, it just needs to be reworded. There should be conditions under which you are allowed to state either mission failure, or changing conditions. Refusing should be reaaally rare, and make you go rogue as said. But, if I get sent to find some ship in the arctic, and it isn't anywhere logical, I should be able to tell Sub command this and pray they call me back for something else.

Also, I'll admit my immersion was ruffled when I torped a North Korean military vessel right off the coast of England. xD If that could be fixed somehow, erm, that'd be great.
In the game it's described as 'requesting new orders', which is similar to what you suggest. The system will be changed around a bit in the future.

And how do you know there aren't North Korean warships off the coast of England right now!? yeah, the way ships are placed can lead to some odd situations sometimes. I'm thinking of introducing a stat to determine how far from home a country's warships can appear, so US and USSR battlegroups will appear around the world but ships from Libya or Taiwan or whatever will focus on defending home.

Thanks for the heads up. Dropbox is steadily getting worse and worse as a hosting solution, I'll switch to another site as soon as it's practical.

Actually, you can just close the first window requesting log in info, then chose "just download without registering" the second time.  It's a pain, but not as bad as actually being required to register.

Also, nuclear missiles appear to be bugged.  Seems whenever I launch a nuke, the game crashes within a minute or so.

I thought it was unrealistic that every nation in the game would field nice and decent nuclear subs.  So I created a budget submarine.  Smaller, less torpedoes, less fail-safes.
Behold, the Pinto Class!
The Pinto class is awesome. You really have to make every shot count, and getting hit by a single depth charge means a massive struggle for survival. The fact that it has 16 crewmen instead of 15 was causing crashes on some computers, so I've patched the game to work with up to 20 crewmen (redownload to get the update).

Thanks for pointing out the missile bug too, but unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce it. If you get a chance, it would really help if you could:
1. Download debug_0_27.exe and put it in your game folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i65gmpjnulxw9xn/debug_0_27.exe?dl=0
(it's exactly the same as the regular game executable, but with some debug options enabled. It will run slower but give more detailed error messages)
2. Set 'debug_mode = 1' at the bottom of your gameoptions.ini file.
3. Run debug_0_27.exe, launch some nukes and wait for the crash. If it gives you a message when it crashes, note what it says.
4. The game will output 'debug_log.txt' as it runs. If you could send me this file ( email address is subcommandergame (at) gmail.com , or you can message me through the forums) it would be really helpful in locating the cause.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:49:39 am by TheGeoff »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15