Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Duolingo  (Read 14623 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Duolingo
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2014, 12:52:33 pm »

Same in Dutch.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2014, 12:54:23 pm »

girls are neuter too.
Only the small ones! Once they're fully grown (yes, innuendo, I know) they become female.
In Standard / High German that is. In some dialects females stay girls forever.

"Girl" being grammatically neuter is perfectly logical though, the word for girl is a diminutive form of an archaic word and diminutives are always neuter.
I feel like there's a hobbit joke in here somewhere.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2014, 01:29:30 pm »

In some dialects of English, females stay girls forever too.

"Eeeeey giiiiirl, how you doin'?" :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2014, 01:34:30 pm »

Yo gurl, I know you new roun heer, howzabout we go chill ova dere an I go gitcha sumpin t' drank?

-Exact transcription of something I overheard at a party once.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2014, 03:13:17 pm »

girls are neuter too.
Only the small ones! Once they're fully grown (yes, innuendo, I know) they become female.
In Standard / High German that is. In some dialects females stay girls forever.

"Girl" being grammatically neuter is perfectly logical though, the word for girl is a diminutive form of an archaic word and diminutives are always neuter.

As if grammatical gender is logical in the first place!

English is terrible in many ways but at least we don't have that nonsense to worry about.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2014, 07:36:41 pm »

At least German spelling is at least correlated to pronunciation.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2014, 08:38:23 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed French doesn't seem to give a crap about this. They can just keep adding letters to the end, and yet the pronunciation of the word never changes. Whole sections, just dropped at random! Beginnings, endings, middles. Is something pronounced? There's no way to tell in advance, that's for sure!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2014, 02:24:43 am »

* Descan looks askance at Gaelic

I have no idea what you are talking about. Nup.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2014, 01:46:29 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed French doesn't seem to give a crap about this. They can just keep adding letters to the end, and yet the pronunciation of the word never changes. Whole sections, just dropped at random! Beginnings, endings, middles. Is something pronounced? There's no way to tell in advance, that's for sure!
Might be better to just surrender ;P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2014, 08:40:24 pm »

Might be better to just surrender ;P
"For sale: French officer's rifle. Close to mint condition. Never fired. Dropped only once."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2014, 04:03:57 am »

Okay, so I've found a few mistakes in the German lessons, but at least you can report them and hopefully they'll get fixed. I do get a little annoyed for having correct answers marked wrong (or being told wrong answers should be correct), but then there was this, and I had to forgive them for everything:

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 11:00:51 am »

Okay, so I've found a few mistakes in the German lessons, but at least you can report them and hopefully they'll get fixed. I do get a little annoyed for having correct answers marked wrong (or being told wrong answers should be correct), but then there was this, and I had to forgive them for everything:

Er ist tot, Jim.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 02:46:54 pm »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2015, 10:58:06 am »

Raising this topic from the dead to see if there's any interest in doing this together. I kind of lost interest in Duolingo for a long while, but now I've decided to learn Swedish. I have a Swedish friend I'm trying to get to know better, and I thought learning his language would provide a good excuse for conversation. Much to my surprise, there is a Swedish for English speakers, though it's still in beta. It's not very helpful for pronunciation (dear lord is Swedish pronunciation strange and difficult) but it's been very helpful for learning my first words.

Anyway, the site keeps reminding me that I'm "all alone," and I figure it would help with the motivation if I had some "friends" on there to compare progress with. So is anyone interested in adding me? I think we can study any languages, and it will always show your friends' progress each day.

My username is airavj, if anyone wants to add me. I'm hoping to get at least one person on there to compete with!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2015, 11:02:16 am »

I've been thinking about taking a language course next semester anyway, and a friend has nothing but praise for Duolingo - I'd be in in about a month or so. But not Swedish, probably - how is the Russian Duolingo?
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8