Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491611 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #5115 on: May 29, 2014, 07:26:23 am »

Or if I can eat their bodies, I can reconstruct them and deposit their brains in those bodies.
I might actually do this.
I encourage you to try for the specific reason that, aside from Grate being nowhere near the mission, he's unlikely to ever have need of that "service".

I wonder if it would be a good idea to aim the heat ray directly below where I am falling, so that I might fall in a pool of water instead of onto ice
Better try and land on one of the shattered and partially melted blocks of ice - be softer that way.
About the same, really. Snow would be ideal, if we're limited to various forms of water. That can be compacted, lowering the force by spreading out over time.

If his weapon reloads fast enough, he should just keep shooting down and tunnel through the planet.
Straight through the core!
HEP is 1 shot per minute, so I doubt that. Would be fun though.
Assuming that terminal velocity remains constant (it won't), he'd need to shoot out three miles and almost two thousand feet (5.4 km) with every shot. But really, I think the bigger problem is that it gets really hot down there. Also, you'd be carving through the alien thingamabob.
Which is evidently a word.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: May 29, 2014, 08:17:24 am »

Dear Xan:

ELDRITCH CANCER THAT THE THRALLS OF CARBON CALL LIFE, YOU SUCK AT LOOKING FOR STUFF! MAYBE THAT'S WHY YOU KEEP ON JOINING US ALL THE TIME!

Randomly rant at life, look over at where that person said the sniper probably would and intuit where he is by speculating about what sniping position I'd take if I were a genetically augmented sniper.
[Intuition:5+1]
You leap up off the ground and go sprinting toward EXACTLY WHERE THAT FUCKER IS, YOU'RE POSITIVE OF IT!
[dex:1-1]
[end:5]
Xan makes it a good 50 feet at a straight out, snails pace sprint before being clotheslined by a bullet.  It catches him straight in the throat, right through the windpipe and the spine. He jerks forward with the last of his momentum and then hits the ground like a sack of omnicidal potatoes.

Note to self: FUCK. ADRENALIN.
Well, I'll return from this, no doubt - the Mission is far from complete. But if I go to meet my Father, I shall certainly bring a guest.

In the moments before I go tempdead due to lack of spine and neck, heat a 1-meter sphere at the point where I was so sure the guy was to sufficient temperatures to fry whatever's in it to ash. Then be dead.
*Gurgle gurgle FUCK YOU Gurgle*

[exo:6+1]
You focus all your severed head rage at the area where you know the sniper is hiding. With your last moments of consciousness you sharpen your hatred to a fine point and let it tear out into space. A tendril of white hot energy rips out from your severed head and impacts the distant cage. The ship in the cage, the cage, and everything in several dozen meters in any direction vanishes, reduced to a molten slag that pours down into the repair pit below. 
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5117 on: May 29, 2014, 08:35:13 am »

I wonder if Stacy can use the HEP to sort of make a ramp for himself to land on. Y'know, fire at the floor when he's almost at the bottom, and curve the shot upward so that the beam carves a curved surface rather than ending abruptly in a wall.

It takes a minute for the HEP to recharge, and if we're going to fall for more than a minute, I don't think that's going to help exactly. Especially if I hit alien artifacts with it.

Also, I think we can all take a moment to thank every one of our lucky stars that piecewise doesn't seem willing to ever apply the melee +1 or short range +3 that the HEP inherently has.
[con:6+4]

You shoot straight through the entire planet, dropping your team down into the molten core. The shot continues onward, coming out beneath milno's team, killing them all instantly. It then bounces off the ionosphere and hits the other mission team, killing all of them.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: May 29, 2014, 09:05:56 am »

But that would be 'extreme' range, and the HEP has a n/a in that range category.  That should be impossible unless overshoots literally create energy, in which case you're a liar because you said humans have no inherent magic power.

My personal theory is that stasis dementia links everyone into a global hivemind, and skill is just how well you can focus yourself into linking with the more powerful sections.  Decompensators stop you from linking with the most powerful ones.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: May 29, 2014, 09:35:14 am »

The armory master raises one hand and snaps. A ball of black expands over all three people and then collapses back down a moment later, and all three are gone.
You know what, maybe I'll just skip the next mission and try to get the AM to teach me her space magic secrets.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5120 on: May 29, 2014, 09:40:13 am »

The armory master raises one hand and snaps. A ball of black expands over all three people and then collapses back down a moment later, and all three are gone.
You know what, maybe I'll just skip the next mission and try to get the AM to teach me her space magic secrets.
Wonder if she took em to the black void. Wonder if Timmy is there.
But probably not, as Steve's avatar probably couldn't get a signal in there... Or could he?

EDIT: @Hephaestus people: You've got the snowglobe data. All the AI libraries you could possibly need should be there.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:43:49 am by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: May 29, 2014, 09:42:56 am »

If our movement moves where we are relative to the Void, then we left Timmy way behind.  That said, he can probably catch up with us.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5122 on: May 29, 2014, 09:45:58 am »

If our movement moves where we are relative to the Void, then we left Timmy way behind.  That said, he can probably catch up with us.
It took him less than a day to get to Hephaestus. Unless he was following the Sword. The implications of either aren't very good.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: May 29, 2014, 09:47:32 am »

I need to catch up on the missions.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: May 29, 2014, 11:25:19 am »

Superlongpost coming up!

((Damn, gone for 3 days, and all this happens?))
Just imagine what I felt after I was gone for a week.

Since you seemed to have missed this, do these please. Then stasis. With the Avatar. How does that work, anyways?
Familiar with WH40k and how Chaos Dreadnoughts are dealt with outside of battle?

Kyle sighs and gets into stasis. He snorts in displeasure when he sees the catgurl.
Almost exactly the opposite of what I expected.

His arm has been replaced sometime since he lost it way back in the Grate Disaster, and he's sitting cross legged on the holo-display, watching them all with keen interest as they enter.
*whistles innocently*

>Now, this isn't a seek and destroy mission, this is an assassination.
Shocker. Is that why we aren't considering orbital bombardment?

Interesting that one planet has three missions.

Took me a sec to understand what that was, but...it was worth it.
Sweet.

Brother Lars turned briefly, as the chatter and commotion took over.  Several people who he did not recognize.

"Greetings, brothers and sisters of Steve!  I am Brother Lars, a faithful soldier of our holy army of the Great Glorious Steve!"  He gestured to Steve.  "I serve as prophet on the ship and as the chaplain out in the field.  Do not worry about danger and risk, for as long as your faith remains strong, the light of Steve will guide you to victory!" He beamed another smile at the people looking at him.
"Wait. This is a religious revolution? You're a cult? Hasala tightens his grip on his rifle slightly.
Dammit Lars.

"I trust you will be applying what the good Doctor have taught you?"
Wait, who?

I'm actually far superior to all of you.
Except possibly those of you in synthflesh forms. I haven't quite determined what it is yet nor eaten it, so I'm unsure.

I've seen less smug and arrogant incarnations of Magneto.

It rather seems to me that effectiveness in communal societies is determined by how ruthless you are, how willing you are to step on others to get ahead. I'm doing well for myself.
Alright, Xan. Time for a contest. You and let's say Jim, given suits and identical fake resumes. See who can be more successful within ten years. My money's on the team player who doesn't trumpet about how superior he is to everyone.

Beings more powerful than oneself are not to be worshiped, they are to be carefully avoided and struck down in their moment of weakness if possible. Actively trying to attract their attention leads to your death or disfigurement. For instance, the Armory Master.
Faith raised an eyeridge.
"So... you're saying I should kill you on the spot just to be safe?"
You don't need to believe Xan's insane philosophy to think that.

Lars patted Xan lightly on the... shoulder?  Shoulder area?  "You remind me of young Brother Grate--"
Hey!

I'm much more volatile with my amps than I was 2 missions ago. Better for me to be in a position where I wouldn't be caught.
Though what you said is with merit, depending on whether I got it right. Still, if it weren't for the suit, I'd not be like this, you can be sure of that. Not very useful.

"You could pretend to be one of those volatile, angry gods that people identify with because of deep personal issues! It'd be perfect!"
And I thought Stacy with a manipulator was bad.

"If you feel merciful, aim low. Take out a knee or two. I wouldn't recommend it though, god only knows how long these guys have been in contact with any artifacts. They might not even count as human now."
"Oh come on. We've got a cult that's probably in proximity to an alien artifact, and suddenly they're not human and we shouldn't even try to not kill them?"
Sanity. Yay!

((No. Keep Xan on the arctic mission at all costs. It will not be the same without him.))
(Of course!  How else would we recreate The Thing?)
If I was piecewise, I'd figure out a way to make this happen.
Of course, the alien ship or whatever reminds me a bit of Alien.

"Okay then. I'll try shooting away from the ship and away from the planet. Thanks Steve."

Get in my battlesuit, check for any sort of option that could allow me to attach myself to the hull of the ship. If none is found, simply grab some of my rope.

Go outside. Inspect the hull. Find a good place I could latch on and fire some test shots. The Sword should be between me and Kano so that there's less chances of me hitting it.

Latch onto the hull like a giant metal space barnacle Use rope if necessary.. Prepare to fire into space. Switch Rainbow Cannon to Violet Mode and inspect the symbol displayed on hud.

Would you mind if I also talked to Steve during these tests?

((6+2: You shoot your red plasma beam into space for so long, you manage to overload all of your electronics. A few hours of helpless floating later, the plasma beam completes an orbit and comes back to incinerate you the moment you manage to get your battlesuit open.))

And of course that gets a +2.

So whatcha think? Maybe wanna take some precautions? Perhaps not sign your own death warrant next time?
You have no idea how much that made me laugh. Literally out loud.

>Get the armory master. Tell her that it's time to have a talk.
I will be so annoyed if the talk is in PMs.
Which it seems to be.

I have nothing to comment on the wetwork.

Standing directly outside it is a man, dark skinned and vaguely asian looking with a curly black beard and strange reverse hitler mustache, with the center shaved and the sides left to grow.
He sounds trustworthy.

Kyle holds up the Amp.
((He holds up the amp that is meant to be lodged in his brain?))
Insert joke about Kyle's lack of intellect.

((Um, guys? Could you guys please check something? I just ran a keyword search and manual search of the on-ship thread, and judging by my results, I think Kyle never actually got an amp. He purchased it, got the plastic voucher, went to watch TV, got statis'd, exited, roleplayed and signed up for the mission, but I don't think he ever had it installed. Which means he may be currently equipped with a plastic voucher rather than an actual weapon.))
As hilarious as that would be, it pains me to inform you that that sort of stuff is usually handled off-screen.

"Are you saying you want to be left without a medic ready to help you immediately when your luck runs out?"
Kyle says raising an eyebrow.
Five tokens says the first guy to get shot isn't in a condition for medical care.

Kyle rolls his eyes.
"That definitely wasn't needlessly dramatic."
Nope. It was as dramatic as something that dangerous mandates.

"So, is there a proper breaching strategy, or are we just doing the normal thing where we charge in and murder everything before levelling the building?"
"I'd imagine we should do some very quick recon of the ground floor from the outside, try to at least have a man at every major exit. Two'd be best. That's how we'd do it back home."
Some quick math indicates that you'd lose serious manpower if you did that, even with only one per exit.

"We aren't gathering attention you ingrate."
"Our military vehicle filled with milspec weapons, armor, and assorted semi-humans won't attract any attention from the highly paranoid cultists if we sit in place within easy sight of their main headquarters for several hours."
Riiight. There's not being paranoid, and there's not being cautious. Then there's not being halfway self-preservatory.

"I'm rooting for them."
Yup. Kyle's as much of a jerk as the RotMG one.

((That's... actually a really good cover.))
Aside from the fact that shooting action movies in occupied diners without the owner's consent or prior knowledge is probably some sort of felony, even if you use blanks.

>We may lose contact during the storm, but I'll keep my eye on you as best I can.
Wait, why don't they have a quantum entanglement communicator too?

((uuummm, guys, who's driving this thing?!))
That's an amusing mental image.

(Considering the heat guns are backpack fed, I'm gonna say you probably won't have much luck dual-wielding them.)
There's such a thing as a frontpack. Kinda.

Ya see these people? They were gonna have this hole dug. They were gonna do it safely and effectively. It would have taken an hour or so, but it would have got done. But Stacy, in his infinite wisdom, decided to "help" by wandering straight over to the center of the hole in the encased object people could see below , planting the tip of his HEP on the ice and firing straight down. This, of course, opened up a great big hole under his feet, and the feet of several other people, and caused the rest of the ice around the hole to collapse inward. So now Stacy, and the rest of the people in that spoiler, are falling head over heels into a great black expanse; the hollow interior of the object frozen in the ice.
HAVE FUN.
Dammit Stacy.

Because steve bots are more like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They're like a broken, forbidden image link?
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: May 29, 2014, 11:53:38 am »

Superlongpost coming up!

This is only Verylong, not Superlong.  I want my money back.

Wait, who?

This was directed at Mesk, who gained the same bonus Maurice did in terms of no longer having to roll for routine medical not-under-fire procedures.

EDIT:  And there's another notch on the belt.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:59:22 am by Toaster »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: May 29, 2014, 12:17:17 pm »

Wait, who?
This was directed at Mesk, who gained the same bonus Maurice did in terms of no longer having to roll for routine medical not-under-fire procedures.
No, I mean what good doctor?
Sig

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: May 29, 2014, 12:18:45 pm »

((Is this a new Grate?))

According to the turn it's a new Grate. All memories after the rock falling down to squash him erased, too. Well, I did try to say that thing's dangerous. On the plus side, Grate's kind of immortal.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5128 on: May 29, 2014, 12:19:09 pm »

Image works fine for me. Are you sure you aren't blocking the site or something? I can download it and put it in photobucket if you really want to see it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: May 29, 2014, 12:20:35 pm »

((Is this a new Grate?))
According to the turn it's a new Grate. All memories after the rock falling down to squash him erased, too.
Oh, that's what that means. I'll assume the voices in Grate's head filled him in.

Image works fine for me. Are you sure you aren't blocking the site or something? I can download it and put it in photobucket if you really want to see it.
Not intentionally.
For me, it's happening when I follow the image link, too. So if you can see it, that might help.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 2205