Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491740 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #5145 on: May 29, 2014, 02:02:44 pm »

Plus we know that the Old Friend almost certainly refers to Mission 14.  They might be in for a nasty surprise!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: May 29, 2014, 02:31:27 pm »

Ah Toaster, you magnificent paranoid bastard.

Also, Xan vs Jim: Jim is more powerful, but Xan is more flexible. Xan would need to adapt very well to beat him in a straight fight. But I can see it happen. If he's smart and careful about it.

Yeah, he's dead  :P
If it were a straight fight it'd come down to amp vs amp, I think. Likely a mutual kill.
If we're both dropped in Wall Street and told to advance up the ranks of a company, Jim may be the CEO after a couple years, but within a few months I'd be the entire company.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: May 29, 2014, 02:31:47 pm »

Literally!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: May 29, 2014, 02:40:00 pm »

Hey Kri, wouldn't Stacy doing his thing count as an incident?
What counts as an incident?

Yeah, invariably what Stacy has done will be an incident. It's a sort of fluid definition, which I may or may not solidify now. The vague idea of it is that it is a 'PR incident'.

Minimum requirements: Does catastrophic damage to friendly or civilian resources. Caused by the direct actions (poorly rolled or poorly thought out) of the players.

Helpful: Causes at least 1 death, several injuries. Results in dramatic change of mission parameters.

Disqualifying: Isolated 'accidents' (May double tapping a civilian); PW-driven actions. Nothing the UWM can do will be an 'incident'. Possibly things Steve can do will be.

So, right now, this is looking like it might be 'borderline' to me. It was caused by direct actions, but it hasn't caused any injuries or catastrophic damage yet and the mission parameters are still essentially the same. I'll label it an incident if more than half of them die on impact with the ground :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: May 29, 2014, 02:47:21 pm »

Ah yes, the improbable double tap suicide.
Sig! Onol

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: May 29, 2014, 02:51:32 pm »

Ah yes, the improbable double tap suicide.

That was my favorite part of the mission. Hands down :P

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: May 29, 2014, 04:18:38 pm »

"Also, why am I naked?"

On the bright side, Faith isn't anywhere close to Grate.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: May 29, 2014, 04:20:29 pm »

Quote from: screw actually quoting that longass post
Alright, Xan. Time for a contest. You and let's say Jim, given suits and identical fake resumes. See who can be more successful within ten years. My money's on the team player who doesn't trumpet about how superior he is to everyone.
This is actually kinda interesting. Can you elucidate about where we are?
I dunno. Let's say New York at the turn of the millennium.

So the Doktor is from this planet? Huh. Alrighty then.
Possibly. Or it could be a coincidence, with other worlds adopting similar speech patterns or the Doc just being more succinct than average.

If we're both dropped in Wall Street and told to advance up the ranks of a company, Jim may be the CEO after a couple years, but within a few months I'd be the entire company.
I doubt the latter. I'm having trouble imagining that happening, except perhaps by Xan either eating a bunch of people or becoming an entrepreneur.

"Also, why am I naked?"
On the bright side, Faith isn't anywhere close to Grate.
That is, indeed, a good thing.
Poor IronyOwl.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: May 29, 2014, 05:19:03 pm »

Xan would win hands down.  Jim is a clone, and has pointed out many times that he has zero social skills, and zero non-killing skills.  Xan has the same problem, but can assimilate people prototype style, and if he pisses off the cops or whatever he can just turn into a different person.  Jim would have to live with his mistakes, and being a nice person isn't enough to get you through life.  Xan however, would have years to learn how to be a good liar and manipulator, and can just assimilate and impersonate a person with a high position.  Plus, Xan can probably live forever, while Jim might live for another few years depending on Spectrum Corps' (I think) design phlosophy.  In theory, Xan could eventually become the permanent president, imitating each new president of every new company.

And that's assuming Xan can't create new brains.  If he can, then Xantalos' quote about being the whole company is true, and misleading.  Within a few years he'd be the planet.

Also, being a complete sociopathic jerk is actually really good for getting rich.  Did you know that there is a measurably higher amount of sociopaths in high positions, such as CEO, than in the general population?  Granted, they're all high-functioning, and Xan is anything but, but he would have an eternity to learn.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: May 29, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »

Xan would win hands down.  Jim is a clone, and has pointed out many times that he has zero social skills, and zero non-killing skills.  Xan has the same problem, but can assimilate people prototype style, and if he pisses off the cops or whatever he can just turn into a different person.  Jim would have to live with his mistakes, and being a nice person isn't enough to get you through life.  Xan however, would have years to learn how to be a good liar and manipulator, and can just assimilate and impersonate a person with a high position.  Plus, Xan can probably live forever, while Jim might live for another few years depending on Spectrum Corps' (I think) design phlosophy.  In theory, Xan could eventually become the permanent president, imitating each new president of every new company.

And that's assuming Xan can't create new brains.  If he can, then Xantalos' quote about being the whole company is true, and misleading.  Within a few years he'd be the planet.

Also, being a complete sociopathic jerk is actually really good for getting rich.  Did you know that there is a measurably higher amount of sociopaths in high positions, such as CEO, than in the general population?  Granted, they're all high-functioning, and Xan is anything but, but he would have an eternity to learn.
Oh look, you made my eventual counterpoint more eloquent.

EDIT: This is actually why I underuse Xan's abilities so much; I'm a stickler for a fair game and I'm afraid of becoming massively overpowered.
Also, I really need a decomp. I'm probably going to try to bum 5 tokens off of someone if I survive so I can actually control my shapeshifting. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:51:45 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: May 29, 2014, 05:55:06 pm »

I feel like most of us are really overestimating Xan. Just saying :P

He's not really any different from a brain-in-a-bot. He just has a much more flexible bot that bears a resemblance to the stuff of nightmare. I don't even see a reason to suggest he's immortal, any more than the brain-in-a-bot is. His brain is still ultimately the same, as a requirement for being functional.

I strongly suspect Jim would crush Xan in a straight up fight. But it all depends on the arena. A long term, years long, cloak-and-dagger fight? Xan hands down. One on one brawl-fest? Xan is squished.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: May 29, 2014, 05:56:08 pm »

I feel like most of us are really overestimating Xan. Just saying :P

He's not really any different from a brain-in-a-bot. He just has a much more flexible bot that bears a resemblance to the stuff of nightmare. I don't even see a reason to suggest he's immortal, any more than the brain-in-a-bot is. His brain is still ultimately the same, as a requirement for being functional.

I strongly suspect Jim would crush Xan in a straight up fight. But it all depends on the arena. A long term, years long, cloak-and-dagger fight? Xan hands down. One on one brawl-fest? Xan is squished.
Yep.
I just need to get a way to manipulate my brain.
Sig! Onol

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: May 29, 2014, 06:05:34 pm »

I suspect that will end very, very poorly for Xan. But good luck! I'll stay over here. You just stand there next to that nuke. Have fun!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5158 on: May 29, 2014, 06:08:40 pm »

I'll get to it. Maybe I should add 'days since last death' to my charts.

Yeah, that sounds fun. Give me a second :P
Should find some way to get these automated and set up somewhere.
How about this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a simple PHP script that updates the timer automatically, hosted on a test server I set up real quick:
Spoiler: Script (click to show/hide)

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: May 29, 2014, 06:19:07 pm »

Things I don't have: a server :P

I am not a web dev. It is the type of coding I am worst at by a significant margin XD

That code looks good though, and I see all the levers. We have somewhere more permanent that we can upload to? I have no idea if the wiki can hold php code somewhere useful.

Web dev! A thing I should spend a little more time on. Just a little :P

EDIT: There an easy way to increase font size or bold things? About the only thing I would change is to bump up the font size a bit, and to bold or otherwise accentuate the timer.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:21:08 pm by Kriellya »
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 2205