Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2492887 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2235 on: April 03, 2014, 11:41:46 pm »

Which would work better as a video game of ER, a first person shooter? Or a squad command game?
Squad command. Definitely. It's a tad too lethal for the former option.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: April 03, 2014, 11:42:56 pm »

I think it would be hilarious to have a game where you can die while entering the mission.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: April 03, 2014, 11:44:45 pm »

And where getting teamkilled by allies is not an AI flaw, but a core gameplay mechanic.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: April 03, 2014, 11:48:06 pm »

What would make it totally awesome, though, is if the game kept track of every recruit, and you could go to a barracks menu from the main menu to see everyone's stats, and how many missions they completed, and the goal of the game would be to get someone to complete 10 missions.

And to enforce the concept of extreme lethality, there would be a button in the barracks to add a new random recruit, not even needing to be customized, because they'd be lucky to survive a single mission, and it would have totally ridiculous crimes attached to recruits for why they're there.
The Derail Thread

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2239 on: April 04, 2014, 12:00:09 am »

What would make it totally awesome, though, is if the game kept track of every recruit, and you could go to a barracks menu from the main menu to see everyone's stats, and how many missions they completed, and the goal of the game would be to get someone to complete 10 missions.

And to enforce the concept of extreme lethality, there would be a button in the barracks to add a new random recruit, not even needing to be customized, because they'd be lucky to survive a single mission, and it would have totally ridiculous crimes attached to recruits for why they're there.
Seems like the sort of thing that would be fairly possible in a rogue-like, since extreme lethality, random characters and procedural generation are already hallmarks of that genre. Speaking of:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gatewayrl/

This is a roguelike made a few years ago that was somewhat of an inspiration for ER. It's fairly unknown, but perhaps you'll see some similarities.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: April 04, 2014, 12:08:00 am »

Hmm, the page won't load for me.
The Derail Thread

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: April 04, 2014, 12:16:22 am »

Not very knowledgeable about actors. And on that matter, who'd be Steve's voice?

And squad command fits ER's workings. It'd need to be highly customizable to reflect both the stupid whims and artistical impulses of the inmates, of course.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: April 04, 2014, 12:32:01 am »

The Derail Thread

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: April 04, 2014, 02:33:55 am »

Wait, did steve fill the ship with the gas that causes philosophical debates again?

Does anyone else smell candles, Solipsism and melted French men?
FTFY.

Hmm, while people ponder TCM's question, I propose another question.

Which would work better as a video game of ER, a first person shooter? Or a squad command game?

I'd say a custom SS13 map could work. A small spaceship (the lobby of sorts) for people to dick around, actual missions require one to board a shuttle to be shot of at the mission (on another Z level). Admin would run the mission and play as Steve, several fun options possible (derelict spaceship investigation, civilian rescue, artifact retrieval, exploring alien ruins, ...). Biggest trouble would be making the maps, obviously, but apart from the robust combat system, I think SS13 would accommodate an ER style game quite well.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: April 04, 2014, 02:51:01 am »

I'd say a custom SS13 map could work. A small spaceship (the lobby of sorts) for people to dick around, actual missions require one to board a shuttle to be shot of at the mission (on another Z level). Admin would run the mission and play as Steve, several fun options possible (derelict spaceship investigation, civilian rescue, artifact retrieval, exploring alien ruins, ...). Biggest trouble would be making the maps, obviously, but apart from the robust combat system, I think SS13 would accommodate an ER style game quite well.
Failing that, an X-COM total conversion.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: April 04, 2014, 02:59:41 am »

pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza   

As far as actors to play ER characters, I can't really remember what anyone looks like. :-\
Also I'm not terribly knowledgeable about actors to begin with. The Armoury Master can be Julia Roberts, how's that sound?
Oh and in my mind Jim is now a four-armed version of Sully from Monsters Inc.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: April 04, 2014, 03:03:55 am »

Also I'm not terribly knowledgeable about actors to begin with. The Armoury Master can be Julia Roberts, how's that sound?

wat? The armory master is supposed to be attractive. :V

Oh and in my mind Jim is now a four-armed version of Sully from Monsters Inc.

Pfff hahaha XD

I don't think Jim has the voice of Jon Goodman. He would probably need a voice actor more than an actual actor and if that's the case... he'd be Johnny Yong Bosch. :P Plus JYB kinda has the look to be real Jim before he gets put in a robot. Just needs blue contacts. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: April 04, 2014, 03:05:52 am »

wat? The armory master is supposed to be attractive. :V

My brain thought of a bunch of possible, attractive actresses, but A) I couldn't remember their names and B) they weren't terrifying enough.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: April 04, 2014, 03:14:17 am »

XD

I can accept that response. Well played, Yoink. Well played.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 2205