Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491911 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2205 on: April 03, 2014, 04:13:32 am »

Can't tackle the whole explanation right now, but to clarify a point:
Not really. He makes it sound like a completely different, separate part from the body, states that it can't be solidly defined, and calls it a soul once.
Also, I never said it was exactly like a soul, just that it was starting to sound like one. And souls...bug me. They're the cheap way out of this kind of discussion.
I thought he was saying the point in which it stops being a part of the mother and starts being an individual entity cannot be solidly defined.
Yes. That specific line is the single most important part of this whole thing.
It's not that it "cannot be defined", it's that it "isn't defined". There's a subtle difference, because this transitory period has similar implications to... that darn boat I still can't remember the name of. What happens is a gradual transition from an "organ" to an "entity", and you can only say with certainty that it stops being an "organ" once it stops being connected - up until that point, the physical connection ensures that the mother's chemistry still affects the baby. There is no one specific point - even organs have their own basic reactions to stimuli, and produce their own patterns, even if their energy levels are weak. Without a certain defined threshold, there is no way to tell when it stops being one and becomes the other until it stops qualifying for one of those things altogether.

For instance, take wind. At which point does a "breeze" become a "wind"? At which point does a mere wind become a gale? Without specific numeric definitions for wind speed, you wouldn't be able to tell, except by using your own judgement. But you can probably agree that no matter the speed of the wind, once it starts forming a vortex, it's some form of a "twister" - because the defining trait of a twister is the vortex, and until it loses that vortex, it remains some form of a twister - call it a tornado, a "smerch", anything. Wind going in a straight line is some kind of wind. Wind deciding to breakdance is a twister. Same with being an "organ" and a "baby" during birth - and you're welcome for the mental image of someone breaking wind in such a way that it forms a twister. The bottom line is that the transition point isn't defined - it can be debated back and forth, it can be set arbitrary cutoff limits for, say, pattern randomness and intensity (good luck doing that to things that can't currently be meaningfully measured), but ultimately it's a smooth transition from one to another with only a definite startpoint and endpoint to the process, and no defined point inbetween where one definitely becomes another.

Linking that back to "souls" - an "imprint" in my definition encompasses the same things that are normally filed under "soul", but it's not limited to that. It's something of a mechanical explanation of the concept of a soul, of consciousness and identity - "mutually interfering systems" is a good way to put it. The identity - the mind - is changed over time as it responds to stimuli, which it receives through the body via the many ways the body works and interacts with the world. The "imprint" is... uh, crap. Hit the barrier again. It's... basically a "wake" left by the energy patterns of the body, but not a "disturbed" kind of wake, and it's not an "imprint" like you'd expect from the term - it's... back to cellular automata again, imagine a cellular automata pattern that... leaves order in its wake when going through chaotic inputs. Like you have a typical screenful of dots just roiling around quasi-randomly, and then you add in a pattern that acts like ice-nine, expanding through the chaos from a single point and leaving stable patterns in its wake. That's kind of like what I'm talking about. And this "imprint" is permanent and unique to the person, thanks to unique stimuli that the person experiences, however it's not necessarily unique to the person entirely. Two people in similar states of mind walking down the same empty street at the same time of day experience very similar stimuli, and form very similar patterns in their "imprint". It doesn't cause them to hear each other's thoughts, not unless they're very similar people with similar histories and mindsets, but just that part that overlaps may influence them. Unknowingly, a person may "walk into" another person's "wake" and inadvertently respond to stimuli that the other person was experiencing.
    And that adds another layer to the mutually interfering systems, as different people with similar patterns influence each other. A mother teaching her child gives the child knowledge, but she acts through the body - she provides stimuli, be it visual or aural, and it's the child's body that reacts to those stimuli, and its "mind" reacts to the changes in electric impulses of the brain, changing gradually. But the mother's "love" is another thing - it's a complex interaction that forms a feedback loop with the child, as the child's patterns are constantly linked to the mother's, not least because a lot of them are shared due to the interactions during pregnancy. This feedback loop affects the child and the mother both, and changes in the "imprint" of one can induce changes in the "imprint" of the other. They are still different "people", but they share some parts - returning to the OS analogy, it's similar to cloud storage and computing - different OS instances can be using the same files, and even some of the same CPU cycles to run, yet they are still fundamentally different instances run by different users. Cases of split personality then are like multi-user setups on a single machine... the analogy can go on. :P

It's very hard trying to explain things like this without proper vocabulary. I keep suppressing urges to refer to the Matrix and quantum mechanics, among other things, because while they would help see the picture better, they would not at all add verisimilitude to my explanations, and verisimilitude is pretty much the only thing this explanation runs on, lacking any other means to verify and support it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: April 03, 2014, 05:08:53 am »

@GWG: by your definition (that something exists, has existed or will exist if it can be described as a collection of parts), does Thor, the God of Thunder, or the Ghost of Christmas Future (both composed of at least one part) exist, will exist or have existed in the physical sense? When you are defining your own existence, is using "I", which already assumes you exist, appropriate? Is your existence falsifiable? And would hormonal and cerebral differences, also known as drastic alterations to the framework your mind and personality stem from, not alter one's basic memories, mental capacity, perception of life and other factors? Can two separate minds converge to the point where they can be considered to flow smoothly into one another? And what purposes (provide examples if you believe there are any) could you interchange yourself with a temporally displaced self for?

I think I smell more of a Hellenistic taint in the air, to be honest.

Hellenistic taint, you say? What a wonderful smell that is.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:09:55 am by Harry Baldman »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2207 on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:41 am »

Missed that, as I just skim your posts.
I like to think of humans as machines or programs because it makes things easier, at least for me. I don't know if there's a name for my broader way of thinking. Functional? Realistic? Solipsism? Not really sure.
It reminds me of the old spherical-chicken joke.
It's a model. It's simpler, and it preserves the important basic qualities.
No, I was talking about my more general worldview, my way of thinking, trying to come up with a name for it. Which, in retrospect, sounds like a bad idea, since I made no effort to explain it, so it could only result in confusion.
As to your explanation...it's interesting, but strikes me as simplistic. I can't quite place my finger on why, though.
In my opinion, taking the above metaphor of Identity as a variable, the problem is that you are not looking for the best definition for the Identity variable possible and how it is used. You are looking for a set of rules that will help you get a best guess of what data the Identity variable contains for your mind (and possibly the minds of others), why it contains that data and how that data would change (or not change), if that makes sense. That's why it looks simplistic. Because it doesn't solve the problem you want to solve.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: April 03, 2014, 08:22:12 am »

I think I smell more of a Hellenistic taint in the air, to be honest.

Hellenistic taint, you say? What a wonderful smell that is.

And not a particularly surprising one when dealing with philosophy. At least, not considering how much it influenced the western take on philosophy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: April 03, 2014, 10:04:40 am »

Wait, did steve fill the ship with the gas that causes philosophical debates again?
It seems like part of the standard life-support stuff at times...

((Dang it, PW broke the nice syvarris/GWG/syvarris/GWG chain!  >:(

Seriously though, if this is annoying other people I'm fine with stopping or spoilering it.))
It's annoying me. Seriously, do all philosophical debates eventually turn into tight circles?
...Also, I'm losing track of what the arguments you were countering were about.

@GWG: by your definition, does Thor, the God of Thunder, or the Ghost of Christmas Future (both composed of at least one part) exist, will exist or have existed in the physical sense?
Thor certainly exists. You can buy it at your local comic book store.
:P
Seriously, though...um...I cannot rememeber what this was referring to either.
Crap.

P.S. This is another advantage of the quoting method I use.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: April 03, 2014, 10:06:54 am »

Seriously, though...um...I cannot rememeber what this was referring to either.
Crap.

Let me edit my question a little bit.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: April 03, 2014, 11:20:11 am »

It's annoying me. Seriously, do all philosophical debates eventually turn into tight circles?
...Also, I'm losing track of what the arguments you were countering were about.

*Sigh*  I've started to feel sorry for you now, dang it.  Argument seems to be over anyways.  I was wondering if you'd ever quit...

Pretty much the entire point was to annoy you.
I'm only arguing this because I enjoy watching people squeeze rose thorns because they're convinced that it's an orchid.

Somewhere along the line it turned into "squeeze rose thorns so that they could use the blood as proof the flower has thorns", but yeah.

Also, I'm amazed you never got this, but I was arguing for a soul.  Just a soul with no afterlife- a soul which is destroyed upon death.  That is my instinctual definition of identity.

My logical one is "there's no such thing as identity.  It is what you define it as.".  But that's no fun.

So... April Fool's...

Edit:
@Sean
Do you really think sending our fleet out is a good idea right now?  Boarders haven't disabled any ships, so you're pretty much sending them out against the full enemy fleet.  A few are wounded by the boarding pods, but still.  It seems like a major risk.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: April 03, 2014, 11:55:52 am »

I would've had a better idea of how much of a risk it was if PW hadn't missed my action last turn, but I think that attacking sooner rather than later is preferable. Remember, the boarding parties are at a severe disadvantage - not only do they have to take over the ships, but they have to do it fast enough to avoid being blasted to pieces by the non-boarded ships. Plus the fleet is now pulling out of our planetary defense range - any longer and the attacking ships will lose anything resembling an advantage, not to mention the extra distance will mean they will travel for longer and be much more likely to shot down on approach.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: April 03, 2014, 12:07:54 pm »

Hmm.  True, but attacking now won't help the boarding teams aside from destroying some enemy ships.  And you can't win right now unless you destroy ships being boarded, so at best you can wound a few then run away.  At worst, we lose all of our own space fighting capability.

While I understand your argument for being under fire as you advance, I doubt it will factor in to a large extent.  And if you wait until one or two of the enemy ships are disabled/comandeered (or until teams are close to doing so) you have a much better chance at winning.  After all, we only really have two fully combat ships.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: April 03, 2014, 12:14:15 pm »

Also, I'm amazed you never got this, but I was arguing for a soul.  Just a soul with no afterlife- a soul which is destroyed upon death.  That is my instinctual definition of identity.
The soul isn't a definition. It's a cop-out.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: April 03, 2014, 12:38:46 pm »

The soul isn't a definition. It's a cop-out.
More accurately, it's a label, much like "magic". It is born out of the need for a word to represent a concept that cannot be adequately described. It's accurate to say that a "soul" is integral to an identity, but without an explanation it carries no acceptable meaning. And much like any label, it carries with it the connotations that have accrued on it throughout the time that it was used. Which is why I use the term "imprint" - it's as much an attempt to convey the principle of its working as it is a means to sidestep the issue of calling it a "soul". Anything that is in principle a definition for an identity that is separate from the body that supports it, essentially is a "soul" - the only difference is that a change of name will allow the concept to be evaluated without prejudice.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: April 03, 2014, 03:17:20 pm »

Turn in the Mk II, the grenades pack and the MFM at the armory kiosk. Count the tokens I have on hand.

Ask the Armory Master for a bottle of Xeno Spit, a bottle of HMRC Standart and the painting supplies.

The battle is over, me not playing any role in it whatsoever... Time for rest, recollection and grief.
Looks like we may be getting another portrait of Azathoth...
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: April 03, 2014, 03:18:51 pm »

Turn in the Mk II, the grenades pack and the MFM at the armory kiosk. Count the tokens I have on hand.

Ask the Armory Master for a bottle of Xeno Spit, a bottle of HMRC Standart and the painting supplies.

The battle is over, me not playing any role in it whatsoever... Time for rest, recollection and grief.
((If Xan ever decides to drink, I'm gonna have him turn into a giant liver with a mouth and drink an entire casket of Maldavian Mind Rot.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Phoenix Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: April 03, 2014, 03:56:15 pm »

((If Xan ever decides to drink, I'm gonna have him turn into a giant liver with a mouth and drink an entire casket of Maldavian Mind Rot.))

I shall watch this with great interest...and preferably from a different ship :D

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: April 03, 2014, 04:57:03 pm »

Also, Steve seems to like Milno.

Did Steve ever say something along those lines?

Did she ever tell Milno when she went into the HMRC?

She did talk a little about that stuff. Said she was born on one of those not-too-developed colonies, IIRC and that she and a lot of people from there got shipped off to the HMRC in bulk.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:01:57 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 2205