Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304798 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2790 on: March 16, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »

Lol on the soviet flag. Could just be one person and not actually mean anything in all this.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: March 16, 2014, 06:19:32 pm »

Yeah, that's about as smart as calling the Maidan guys nazis because some of them had far-right symbols. Plus, as Avis' posts shows, the USSR is remembered differently in the West and the East. We remember the dictatorship, they remember the time where they had international standing and the country wasn't run by kleptocrats.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: March 16, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »

Soviet flags aren't that uncommon, or for that matter worrying. 90% of the time it's 'In my times USSR, trees were taller and bread tasted better'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: March 16, 2014, 06:22:23 pm »

No imperialism here, move along folks.

Maybe I'm just too old, but seeing a bonefide soviet flag pop up after something like this doesn't look too pretty.

There are tons of international media there, it's from those I'm getting the pictures and interviews. There was even a norwegian livefeed from one of the voting locations.

Can you give me a link? And are they reporting from Sevastopol or Kiev?

CNN is reporting from Sevastopol, so there.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: March 16, 2014, 06:24:37 pm »

A bit like how the Native Americans watched white settlers quarreling and killing each-other en-masse in North America throughout the 19th century, drawing lines in the sand and dirt to mark their territory, the true Crimeans will watch the results of today with impotence and sadness.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: March 16, 2014, 06:24:51 pm »

Sorry, no idea where the 140% someone told me came from.
140% is from the last Russian parliamentary elections

When central election commission announced results by regions, in some regions sum of results of all parties was over 100%, in one case it was 140%.  Later the "technical error" was fixed

Spoiler: It looked like this (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: March 16, 2014, 06:26:48 pm »

I'm sorry guys, I haven't kept track of last 50 pages, and maybe this video from ZDF (Die Anstalt show) was already posted. If not, there it went.

The translation is rather bad. Judging by what I have understood, I want to say one thing.

[liberalmode]These people can't understand a damn thing. As we all know, and as the most truthful and democratic Western media say, the free people of Ukraine have peacefully overthrown the totalitarian dictator installed and backed by Russia, and they did that all by themselves, without any foreign support; there were no radical nationalists and neo-Nazis among them, everyone who says otherwise repeat Putin's propaganda.

Today, these satirists condemn the peaceful Ukrainian democratic revolution, and it's very likely that Russia paid them to do that. Tomorrow, they will praise Putin (who is basically the reincarnation of Hitler, or maybe even worse, the reincarnation of Stalin) invading the EU. The day after tomorrow, they will praise the return of Stasi![/liberalmode]
The translation is really very bad. Many references are difficult to translate, but still. BTW this is mostly a satire of reactions in the German press and in certain political camps, taking stabs at German politicians (especially Schröder and Steinmeier). It does not say that much about the general view on the Ukraine/Crimea situation, it rather presents some points to the extreme, while at the same time condemning the US, Russia, EU, Germany and the state of politics in general. I also didn't think it was very good or poignant.

Can you give me a link? And are they reporting from Sevastopol or Kiev?
Livestreams are over AFAIK, but there are plenty of correspondents in Crimea, especially in the capital, Simferopol.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: March 16, 2014, 06:28:15 pm »

A bit like how the Native Americans watched white settlers quarreling and killing each-other en-masse in North America throughout the 19th century, drawing lines in the sand and dirt to mark their territory, the true Crimeans will watch the results of today with impotence and sadness.

Who are true Crimeans? Is there another "faction" in Crimea?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:29:55 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: March 16, 2014, 06:29:54 pm »

Who are true Crimeans? Is there another "faction" there?

The Tatars whose ancestors have lived in Crimea for millennia.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: March 16, 2014, 06:30:51 pm »

Sorry, no idea where the 140% someone told me came from.
140% is from the last Russian parliamentary elections

When central election commission announced results by regions, in some regions sum of results of all parties was over 100%, in one case it was 140%.  Later the "technical error" was fixed

Spoiler: It looked like this (click to show/hide)

Oh I see, sorry for the misunderstanding then.

Who are true Crimeans? Is there another "faction" there?

I think Owlbread is referring to the Tatars, who are the origional Crimeans.

Edit: NINJA'D You guys post fast

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: March 16, 2014, 06:32:10 pm »

https://twitter.com/dpeleschuk

I can say I only trust direct-from reporters, like the twitter links you have. Most of these pages are reporting via proxy from Kiev, regurgitating the same 'breaking' information.

I did enjoy this, though:
https://twitter.com/dpeleschuk/status/445199246627995648/photo/1
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: March 16, 2014, 06:35:25 pm »

Sad truth is that there are will be very few winners in Crimea, even among ethnic Russians.  When soldiers will move away back to their bases and the residents will be in the hands of new governors, Crimeans will  learn what unlimited corruption and rampant crime mean.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: March 16, 2014, 06:35:58 pm »

Overall I'm not that surprised by the turnout, but it is still more than what I expected (around 80% pro-Russia). It doesn't matter anyway, even if this vote was a perfectly accurate representation of the will of the electorate, it would still be illegal.

What's the REAL purpose of the clear boxes then?
I read this was common practice in Ukraine. It is supposed to make the elections more transparent, though it conflicts with our ideas of a secret vote.

Maybe that's what CNN meant, to stay 100% as before.
Exactly, there was no "status quo" option, just "join Russia" or "get wide-reaching autonomy from Ukraine".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: March 16, 2014, 06:37:46 pm »

That's bullshit. There was some really weird results in parts of Chechnya and the like but overall Putin was elected with 63% of the vote in relatively clean elections.

Yeah, Putin was elected in a "relatively clean election" in which he got more of the popular vote then any president in US history.  Nothing to see here, move along.

When you run without meaningful opposition because you rigged the elections and media, it's very easy to steal an election by a comfortable margin without needing to outright fabricate the results.  It's even possible to have a sizable plurality of people supporting you while you do it.  But it doesn't mean democracy took place.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 286