Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304864 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2775 on: March 16, 2014, 05:55:29 pm »

No, the reason they do that is to make sure they can see what the person voted. Remove it accordingly, and make sure to intimidate the person on their way home to make it full circle.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: March 16, 2014, 05:58:38 pm »

The CNN ticker said that remaining with the Ukraine (whether as an autonomous state or not) was NOT an option on the ballot and what with the 95%, yeah something's up because as Helgoland said, there are about 40% ethnic Ukranians living in Crimea.

Also, they could have selected only those who definetly supported joining Russia.

According to this: http://www.iri.org/sites/default/files/2013%20October%207%20Survey%20of%20Crimean%20Public%20Opinion,%20May%2016-30,%202013.pdf The vote would have been closer to 50% and looks like a good deal were happy with being an autonomous state.

Opinions could have changed since the protests started though.

Edit: Ukranian ranger beat me to the link, but yes, 95% seems very odd when you include the ethnic ukranians and tatars.

Hmm, than CNN lies (i think).

Here is the thing.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26514797

Can someone translate it. I can clearly see  a option to stay in ukraine (i think)

No, the reason they do that is to make sure they can see what the person voted. Remove it accordingly, and make sure to intimidate the person on their way home to make it full circle.
Dude  :). I mean really. Stop posting nonsense without any proofs.
Make love not war

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: March 16, 2014, 06:00:06 pm »

Hard to get any facts when the only journalists allowed to be around are Kremlin loyalists. This was a vote of intimidation and manipulation, cut and dry. You're seriously saying ~85% of the population of Crimea wanted to join Russia, despite there being a pretty large gap between today's result and the historical numbers.

The only way to reach such turnout %'s matched with a ridiculously high supportive percentage is, in fact, through manipulation.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:02:10 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: March 16, 2014, 06:01:05 pm »

Still, you're not supposed to see what people voted. Over here, you have to fold your ballot when you vote.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: March 16, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »

Hard to get any facts when the only journalists allowed to be around are Kremlin loyalists.

Dude, that is not correct. Anyone from journalists can be there. Stop posting nonsense.
Make love not war

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: March 16, 2014, 06:02:06 pm »

What's the REAL purpose of the clear boxes then?

Seeing how Putin supposedly got 140% of the vote (so I heard), he is obviously not above rigging votes.

The CNN ticker said that remaining with the Ukraine (whether as an autonomous state or not) was NOT an option on the ballot and what with the 95%, yeah something's up because as Helgoland said, there are about 40% ethnic Ukranians living in Crimea.

Also, they could have selected only those who definetly supported joining Russia.

According to this: http://www.iri.org/sites/default/files/2013%20October%207%20Survey%20of%20Crimean%20Public%20Opinion,%20May%2016-30,%202013.pdf The vote would have been closer to 50% and looks like a good deal were happy with being an autonomous state.

Opinions could have changed since the protests started though.

Edit: Ukranian ranger beat me to the link, but yes, 95% seems very odd when you include the ethnic ukranians and tatars.

Hmm, than CNN lies (i think).

Here is the thing.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26514797

Can someone translate it. I can clearly see  a option to stay in ukraine (i think)

Dude  :). I mean really. Stop posting nonsense without any proofs.

I saw it briefly and the ticker itself was brief. It might have been saying something else but wasn't clear on that fact.

A translation of that poll thing linked would be good.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:03:39 pm by smjjames »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: March 16, 2014, 06:03:22 pm »

Can someone translate it. I can clearly see  a option to stay in ukraine
It is but there are a huge but. It is not a status quo option. It gives much much much wider autonomy to Crimea
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: March 16, 2014, 06:04:57 pm »

Hard to get any facts when the only journalists allowed to be around are Kremlin loyalists.

Dude, that is not correct. Anyone from journalists can be there. Stop posting nonsense.

Where are the reporters in Sevastopol? Note: Not allowed to be Russian state media.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: March 16, 2014, 06:05:51 pm »

It is but there are a huge but. It is not a status quo option. It gives much much much wider autonomy to Crimea

Its entirely possible that CNN misinterpreted what that option is. However, with the last poll saying around half wanted to stay autonomous, the 95% is odd.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: March 16, 2014, 06:06:08 pm »

Seeing how Putin supposedly got 140% of the vote (so I heard), he is obviously not above rigging votes.

That's bullshit. There was some really weird results in parts of Chechnya and the like but overall Putin was elected with 63% of the vote in relatively clean elections.

I'm not pro-Russian, but no need to spout non sense. Just use the damn wikipedia dammit.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: March 16, 2014, 06:06:42 pm »

Than it is the thing I said, in ukraine, but with more autonomy. So there is a option no, but there is no option do be 100% same as before.
Can you translate the warning part ? What does it say?
Make love not war

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: March 16, 2014, 06:08:50 pm »

http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-story/ukraine-crisis/story/possible-irregularities-seen-crimea-referendum-20140316

Voters were seen casting their ballots even before the official start of Crimea's referendum on Sunday at a polling station in Sevastopol in one of several possible irregularities.

Journalists including AFP were also turned away at some polling stations in Sevastopol and Simferopol despite having official media accreditation from Crimea's authorities.

These will keep coming. Who wants to deny this vote is entirely a fraud?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: March 16, 2014, 06:09:42 pm »

Than it is the thing I said, in ukraine, but with more autonomy. So there is a option no, but there is no option do be 100% same as before.
Can you translate the warning part ? What does it say?

Maybe that's what CNN meant, to stay 100% as before.

That's bullshit. There was some really weird results in parts of Chechnya and the like but overall Putin was elected with 63% of the vote in relatively clean elections.

I'm not pro-Russian, but no need to spout non sense. Just use the damn wikipedia dammit.

Sorry, no idea where the 140% someone told me came from.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: March 16, 2014, 06:11:40 pm »

Where are the reporters in Sevastopol? Note: Not allowed to be Russian state media.

There are tons of international media there, it's from those I'm getting the pictures and interviews. There was even a norwegian livefeed from one of the voting locations.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: March 16, 2014, 06:12:46 pm »

No imperialism here, move along folks.

Maybe I'm just too old, but seeing a bonefide soviet flag pop up after something like this doesn't look too pretty.

There are tons of international media there, it's from those I'm getting the pictures and interviews. There was even a norwegian livefeed from one of the voting locations.

Can you give me a link? And are they reporting from Sevastopol or Kiev?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:15:44 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 286