Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305138 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1050 on: February 28, 2014, 06:16:39 pm »

Please, have mercy on our troops. Most of them were drafted and do not give a flying fuck about Putin's ambitions. Every war we had recently was pretty much Vietnam for us - our sons go and die meaningless death in a country they honestly have nothing against for a cause everybody knows is bullshit.
True enough. My sniper skills will wait for another day...
Actually, some Russians cross the border over here to get away from Russian army if they have Finnish citizenship. Then they find out we make them serve in the army too. Much butthurt, very drama.

Those cartoons are absolutely adorable.

Anyway, I have to leave you now. Hope that not a single shot will be fired and everyone just mills about for a while and goes back home. Alive.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: February 28, 2014, 06:24:08 pm »

This is going to probably be the point in the century where the USA is shown to be the impotent floppy blancmange that it is and that Putin can do whatever he likes while they just sit and bluster. Putin can invade and annex other countries, overthrow governments, turn the tides in civil wars in his favour and there's nothing the USA can do about it.
Crimea 2014 is looking more and more similar to  Sudetenland 1938

I think the attack(Most likely ultimatum for surrender will be issued first) on Ukrainian military bases is possible in the next few hours... And I honestly don't know what will our military choose to do, surrender immediately or fight . Ukrainian Navy is doomed in any actual combat (Ironically our flagship is returning from the mission near Somalia). But that's not needed for current Russian plans so they may just blockade the navy

Land forces here are just not ready for and it is mostly conscripts against some highly trained Russian troops. So surrender may be a better option. But that kind of humiliation is an invitation for Russia to just go and do the same in other regions
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #1052 on: February 28, 2014, 06:28:21 pm »

GlyphGryph - there was never a serious discussion. there were just deflections, like there are now. no one cares that neo-nazis played and still play a major role in Ukraine politics? well, thats THE problem.
You've certainly yet to provide a reason we should.

And yes, there really was. Your side had a terrible showing, mostly due to the continuing failure to demonstrate what ideas we should change, to what, and why, and instead gave us a bunch of dishonest motivations and equivocating.

For example, of the sort you are doing now.

When you are ready to make a coherent, complete argument, feel free to send me a PM, and I'll help you shape it up to a point where it might be worth posting in the thread, because if you have an actual useful information and a position you think we should adopt with evidence to support it, I want to hear it. But so far you've only managed to do is the equivalent a whole bunch of hand-wringing on how we shouldn't vote for the Democrats come next because the California rep is REALLY TERRIBLE.

And if you can't see the immediate an obvious problems with putting forward that sort of incomplete argument, THAT is the problem.

I am willing to help. I value your contributions. But they need to be of a significantly higher quality than what you've put out so far, or I'm going to have to ignore you and stop wasting my time and the time of others by responding.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: February 28, 2014, 06:36:04 pm »

CNN BREAKING: U.S. may not attend G-8 summit in Russia in June if Russia is in Ukraine
THANK YOU USA. That is very helpful. 
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: February 28, 2014, 06:38:21 pm »

Those cartoons are absolutely adorable.
As long as you don't actually think author knows what he/she/it is talking about...

Hope that not a single shot will be fired and everyone just mills about for a while and goes back home.
Okay, sure. That still leaves me hoping for granades and mines and...

Alive.
...fuck. Fine. Stupid russians and their stupid pasifism...

So surrender may be a better option. But that kind of humiliation is an invitation for Russia to just go and do the same in other regions
That sounds like Elf-talk to me. Now beard up and load that catapult with cats dipped in napalm and aim it at incoming tanks. Try to hit any open hatches on them, if possible.

Or hope nobody gives our beloved eastern neighbour excuse to attack rest of Ukraine. If they do, serve some cocktails.

CNN BREAKING: U.S. may not attend G-8 summit in Russia in June if Russia is in Ukraine
THANKS, OBAMA!
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: February 28, 2014, 06:45:36 pm »

Well what would you prefer, the USA sends a counter invasion and Ukraine spends the next decade having schools and hospitals blown up in drone strikes? USA using diplomatic force rather than military might is best for everybody.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: February 28, 2014, 06:48:02 pm »

I briefly return to say this:
It's happening

You know, the scary thing is that a lot of the comments on that video are what amounts to "Go Russia! Kill 'em all!", and you can see the number of likes under each one.

What goes in russian media honestly looks like WW1, to me, right now - a bunch of rabid imperialists crying for blood while the people who are supposed to actually spill said blood are desperately trying to tell them that no, gunning down people is not a very good thing to do.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 28, 2014, 06:53:34 pm »

Fix'd

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 28, 2014, 06:56:54 pm »

You know, the scary thing is that a lot of the comments on that video are what amounts to "Go Russia! Kill 'em all!", and you can see the number of likes under each one.
You think someone at Russian army/goverment would be tech savvy enough to fake it?
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: February 28, 2014, 06:57:54 pm »

Well what would you prefer, the USA sends a counter invasion and Ukraine spends the next decade having schools and hospitals blown up in drone strikes? USA using diplomatic force rather than military might is best for everybody.
Let's not even speak about nukes. Because let's be serious, if US and Russia start antagonizing again the newsfeed will be "COLD WAR ALL OVER AGAIN" and "WWIII SOON?"

You think someone at Russian army/goverment would be tech savvy enough to fake it?
One of the companies is named Palantir (if I understood correctly). Now that isn't ominous in the slightest.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: February 28, 2014, 07:01:14 pm »

They don't actually need to. Ever since the USSR fell, there have been a lot of people overcome with jingoism, mostly as a reaction to hurt national pride. There is still a lot of propaganda going on, but not all militantism in Russia is instigated by the government, trust me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:03:22 pm by Knit tie »

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: February 28, 2014, 07:03:00 pm »

It's up to NATO at this point if the Ukraine wishes. The UN will do nothing because Russia and China will veto, the US will do nothing because it can't constantly expand into new conflicts, and China doesn't care much (which is actually good). If NATO decides to go in though the US will probably play a bench warmer role until being forced into a larger role. We've been sliding into isolationism in the past decade.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: February 28, 2014, 07:07:12 pm »

Yeah, and even if the US does intend on doing something I highly doubt the government will do anything until asked by the Ukrainian government. Stepping into a civil war is one thing, stepping in to stop the invasion of another county without that country asking is another.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: February 28, 2014, 07:41:15 pm »

I honestly don't care what the US or NATO do, as long as the situation is resolved peacefully.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: February 28, 2014, 07:59:55 pm »

I honestly don't care what the US or NATO do, as long as the situation is resolved peacefully.

Is all the input I will probably be able to copy paste :P

* Iceblaster goes to research the topic in the meantime...
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 286